Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Shop now

Vivian Maier
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:£20.39+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

.... yes.

I read a review of this book in B&W and bought it because of the storey around the finding of the photos. I am so pleased I did as this is a purely amateur photographer out with her Rolleiflex in the 40-90's recording every day New York life. Its surreal and its fantastic. Now I love Henri cartier Bresson and The Decisive Moment, and I took ages to get a copy of Robert Franks Americans, but they are "professional". Their eye is somewhat different to Vivian Maier. They work for profit, she works to provide Art and there is a wealth of difference in their approaches.

I am amazed at this woman's courage. remember this is a lady with a camera in what could be an aggressive environment. She hasn't got a small inconspicuous leics a, she has a Rolleiflex which is not conspicuous at all. yet she get close up to people who clearly see her including down and outs, drunks and Police situations. She also loves mirror images of herself and others and there must by 6-8 in this book alone.

The book states that there are 10,000 negatives found when she died. This therefore is only the tip of the iceberg and I hope there is more to come.

I am sure there are many more great amateurs out there doing similar work and I so wish I could see that too.

If you want a great, timeless, book on black an white street photography. this is it!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I'm surprised how many one, two and three star reviews there are on US Amazon for this excellent photo book. On any level it really can't be faulted. Blank pages in a photo book are quite common though here the confusion was probably caused by having them very close to each other and repeated as such throughout the pages. Book designers would normally space a few blanks roughly evenly between all the photos. The printing by Asia Pacific is comparable to any other quality printed art book (and it costs less than quality printing in Europe or the US). The duotones use a 200 screen on a very acceptable 157gsm matt art with perfect register. The slight black/ochre feel to these photos, I thought, was a wise colour choice.

As to Vivian Maier's photos, the 106 in the book are quite stunning. In particular the framing is just prefect and I think this separates her work from other well known street photographers especially those classed as the New York School who go for a more emotional style of imagery. The photos reveal everyday street scenes in Chicago and New York and work so well because they always pull you into the composition without any distractions about what to look at first. The pacing helps here too, close-up portraits merge into medium shots and then, perhaps, a long shot saturated with detail. The more I looked through these pages the more the sequencing added to the photos.

If I have a criticism it is that there is really nothing about Vivian Maier. Her named website gives some background and I think it would have been helpful to the reader to have included some of this material

John Maloof, the book's editor, is to be congratulated on finding and preserving a treasure trove of photos by an unknown photographer who had such a remarkable eye. I'm hoping this will be the first of many books revealing Ms Maier's creative vision.

>>>LOOK AT SOME INSIDE PAGES by clicking 'customer images' under the cover.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon 25 November 2012
Few photographers have inspired me enough to want to buy their book, but Vivian Maier is the exception. After seeing her images appear on the BBC news website a couple of years ago I've been in awe. Her collection is only now being discovered, but this book represents the best of what they have so far.

The book itself provides an engaging collection of images of which there are over 100 pages worth, plus some self-portraits thrown in for good measure. There's very little text to speak of, mainly because very little was known of her. Maloof did a good job of filling two pages in the foreword at the beginning, but in all honesty, Maier was a bit of a mystery. Beyond the foreword, it's pretty much all photographs right up until the back cover.

Whether you like street photography or not, this book gives an incredible insight into US city life during the 60s & 70s. I love it and I keep it on my desk to dip into whenever the mood takes me.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Like most, I came across Vivian's work a few years back, and as an admirer of her photography, I decided to buy this book.
It is a great insight as to what Vivian got up to in her spare time during her life, and her photography is up there with the best.

This book (which I think I have a 1st edition) is sadly produced in sepia. Although, this gives a warm tone to her photos, I do feel that it doesn't need it, simple black and white would have been I guess how Vivian may have wanted her work to be seen. I also feel that the blank pages were not essential to the impact and design of the book.

Apparently, there are 150,000 photos by Vivian Maier, this book only scratches the surface and no doubt there will be a lot more books to come from this.

The sad story is that none of the profit from her body of work will go to good causes. I understand the two owners who bought her work want to make a profit, but wouldn't it be good if they set up a foundation or charity under Vivian's name. This could be for photographers / artists who like Vivian, had to have a day job to survive. There are so many talented artists out there that do not get any help or recognition, I think Vivian would surely approve.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 26 November 2012
One of those moments in the 20th century where someone's been creating beautiful imagery, by herself, for herself and nobody knew. Until now.
I'm so very glad Vivian's work has been brought out into the public, because it's beautiful. Very few books and photographers make me want to pick up the camera and go and shoot, but this is one.
Or some days, it makes me want to give up, because I'll never be this good!
Bought it, love it, recommended.
on 23 August 2013
Some background - I am an amateur photographer, many years experience some works published in books, mags and newspapers. I still use film cameras, scan films and post process in my digital darkroom. Like many photographers, I have attempted street photography and have a strong interest in this activity. Since reading this book I now think VM was one of the best exponents of this type of photography I have ever seen. To put things in perspective she was a governess (nanny) who was keen on photography and ended up producing over 100,000 negatives in her lifetime! She wandered the streets of (Mainly) New York and Chicago with her twin lens reflex, observing life with a critical eye and a cloak of invisibility. Yet no one knew about her work which was discovered accidentally. These images are striking, the quality is excellent, the lighting very good. How she managed to get so close to her subjects is amazing. The quality of the reproduction is very good and her eye for evolving photo-opportunities is remarkable. If you like atreet photography buy this book.
on 4 April 2013
An intimate view of everyday people, close and yet not intrusive. Fleeting moments snapped with fantastic timing, on the apparently least appealing subjects. Superb!
on 4 March 2013
Fantastic book giving a good sweeping glimpse of the first available images of photographer Vivian Maier. Her images are a great accompaniment to any photographer or art collector's library. She serves as a wonderful -and less well known- example of post war street photography, up there with many of the finest street photographers of the time. The only criticism I can give this edition would be that there is arguably too much material included and the paper quality isn't that good so it feels a bit cheap compared to other photobooks in a similar price range.
A tighter edit would have been more suitable, particularly at this early stage in her publicity. In my opinion, not all of the images are of the same standard and the weaker images detract from the overall quality of the published work.
Perhaps a revised edition would benefit from the inclusion of a photo essay and possibly a more in depth biography of Maier, if more information has been discovered about her at that time. The inclusion of a series of self portraits was a bit of a strange edition also, it seems for the sake of tying the story of Maier to the images as opposed to having much intrinsic artistic, or aesthetic value that would be comparable to the rest of the work.
In conclusion, the book is at a low price for the range and quality of the work and I highly recommend it for anybody with an interest in history, art, photography, or simply in Vivian Maier herself.
on 5 August 2013
Fascinating compilation of an artist whose own story is remarkable. Like all great street photography you can revisit each composition for the detail let alone the artistry. Makes you want more.
on 14 May 2013
This a beautiful book, with some of the most beautiful images ive ever seen.V M has captured her subjects perfectly.Its exciting , its moving.Anyone who loves photography should have this book.