Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 50 REVIEWERon 17 February 2013
I love Vivaldi's music, and I always enjoy hearing any of his compositions; instrumental, vocal, doesn't matter; they're all beautiful and somehow all imbued with a bit of Vivaldi himself. He is an interesting character, and I hunted out this book especially to read about his life, as well as his music. There seem to be a whole series of these books, and I may well see if I can track down some more to read - Monteverdi and Dufay definitely appeal as topics of interest.

This is a wonderful book; the first chapters take us on a journey through Vivaldi's life; in particular, I found Vivaldi's association with the Ospedale della Pieta to be of special interest. I knew that Vivaldi had been associated particularly with this institution, but the details seem to be a little harder to get hold of. I know the circumstances of the girls' lives at the Ospedale were generally sorrowful, but how wonderful to have had the opportunity to work with Vivaldi, and play his compositions!

From there, chapters devoted to Vivaldi's musical style, his instrumental music, and his vocal music complete the book. A wonderful read, and one which is accessible to those familiar with musical notations and forms, and also to a more general reader with a ready interest.
on 28 October 2008
A must for the Vivaldi enthusiast.The life and works of a true 'Master Muscian'.Worth the price for the calendar and catalogue appendices alone.Perhaps a little short on photos,the only downside
on 19 April 2015
I am reviewing The Master Musicians VIVALDI by Michael Talbot. ISBN 0460022282.
MT has written five books entitled Vivaldi that I know of so probably there are many more! Amazon has linked all "VIVALDI by Michael Talbot" to the same reviews so one finds oneself reading reviews for radically different volumes.
1. The Master Musicians VIVALDI by Michael Talbot first published 1978 (my paperback edition has a 1984 preface). I found this work rather hard going. However it really is a great reference and is a great read alongside a 40cd boxed set (Decca or Masterworks).
2. BBC Music Guides VIVALDI by Michael Talbot published 1979 ISBN 0563128569. At only 110 pages this would be the version to start with.
3. The Sacred Vocal Music of Antonio Vivaldi 1995 578 pages ISBN 8822243617
4. The Vivaldi Compendium 1843838192 also 260-270 pages as per (1) above but published in 2013.
5. Venetian Music in the Age of Vivaldi. ISBN 0860787893. This is a compendium of different authors writings about Vivaldi's work.

I only gave this 4 stars as I found both Alan Kendals Vivaldi and HC Robbins Landon Vivaldi to be easier to read. I reserve my five stars for John Booths illustrated Vivaldi (ISBN 0711914060). I should state that I am not a musician though I can read music.