- Paperback: 246 pages
- Publisher: Focal Press (9 July 2004)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0240516753
- ISBN-13: 978-0240516752
- Product Dimensions: 1.9 x 14 x 21.6 cm
- Average Customer Review: 5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (1 customer review)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 139,791 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
Visual Effects for Film and Television (Media Manuals) Paperback – 9 Jul 2004
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
More About the Author
"There is such a wealth of information...I believe that it will be useful and interesting for established filmmakers and students alike...it is the best book of its kind that I have ever read." - Image Technology
"A well-written guide to producing visual effects, both with cameras and computers, this forms an excellent background to film and TV technology." - Lighting and Sound
About the Author
A pioneer of digital effects, has lived their development from "Dr Who to "Harry Potter. Starting his career at BBC television Mitch helped develop early colour TV effects systems. Later, as Director of Visual Effects at The Moving Picture Company, he supervised the effects on literally hundreds of commercials. Since becoming Head of Imaging at Cinesite in London he has worked on projects including "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, "TROY, "King Arthur and "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Mitch lectures and writes on visual effects imaging and is also Visiting Professor at Bournemouth University.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
This is not a book about using computers to do visual effects - it is about capturing, as much as possible, the desired effect in camera, through a variety of ingenious means. I've been working in this field for 25 years, and I still found myself saying "ooohhh, so that's how that works" on several occasions. It's very strong on using historical examples to illustrate particular techniques, which always makes things much clearer (full disclosure: I know the author personally).
As well as describing how to do things (including options and variations on a theme), this book also is very good at pointing out potential problems and things not to do. This is good information, obtained the hard way, and readers should cherish it.
There is also some information on opticals and digital compositing, and even less on straightforward computer generation techniques. But those topics are well served by many, many other books, while Mitchell's book covers territory that is not often treated.
Anyone seriously interested in this topic should read this book.
However, if you're looking for a book that will immediately address modern computer generated effects look elsewhere. If you're looking for a book that will give you a clear insight into the state of the industry today look elsewhere. If you're looking for a book that will spell out /outline what a modern VFX college course is designed to teach you look elsewhere.
I'm not a professional. I'm just a student aggressively searching for knowledge and this book is packed full of it. So I force myself to keep reading wile I dream of a book that dynamically outlines the nuts and bolts of modern effects technology.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Photography
- Books > Computing & Internet > Digital Lifestyle > Online Shopping > Amazon
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Graphics & Multimedia > Animation & Multimedia
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Graphics & Multimedia > Image Manipulation & Creation
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Film > Guides & Reference
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Film > Production & Technology > Cinematography
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Film > Production & Technology > Computers & Film
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Television