on 9 February 1999
Every serious student of ARCHITECTURE as well as your consumate professionals in the architecture field should buy and read this book. I continue to read it over and over. I go back to it often not only to find definitions but to be inspired. Ching is perhaps thee best architectural artist of our era. His delicate sketches and diagrams unlock all the crevices of your imagination. Simply astounding-GENIUS!
on 10 July 2008
Having asked for this book as a present I am so glad I did. This has to be THE BEST dictionary on architecture. I also have a non visual dictionary by Oxford but this book far outweighs that one. Being an architecture student, there are still a lot of architectural terms I am not familiar with which is where this book comes in real handy. Every time I come across a new term I always think "no, it's not going to be in here" but it actually IS! Not only is there a brief description but to help you understand better there is often a hand sketch too (of which there are many and of EXCELLENT quality). The best thing about this book is, however, I have architects looking up things in here too! This book is invaluable and a definite must for anyone studying architecture or even newly qualified architects!

Excellent excellent excellent.
on 18 January 2006
I bought this for my sister who is studying architecture, and she's over the moon with it. I wanted to give her a bit of inspiration, and a reference book and this has done it. Great job by the author, and in exquisite detail too.
on 28 October 2009
This is a superb book. The drawings, in a perfectly appropriate penciled style, bring all the information to life in a way that one can visualy integrate into ones internal mind-map of any building one is looking at whilst trying to unravel its internal structure and external form. The only problem with the book is its size. I'm not a trained architect and use the book to navigate around and understand in greater depth the bulidings I work on. I have constructed a funky book -box to slide the book into to stop it getting battered to bits on site or as it rattles about in my vehicle. Appart from that somewhat unavoidable problem, it's the best visual refrence on building form and structure I've ever used. Worth every penny.
Phil Waters. B.Sc.
on 9 February 1999
Every serious student of architecture and consumate professional in the architectural field should have and read this book. I keep going back to it over and over. It works quite well as a dictionary of terms and most importantly as a source of great inspiration. Ching is perhaps the best architectural artist of our time. The pencil graphics and representations found throughout the text are amazing. The book energizes my imagination each time I open it. Simply astounding! A work of art!
on 11 March 2010
A great book to help understand architecture, not used very often but when it is I always find soemthing interesting.
on 5 April 2014
But contains as much information as I wanted about architecture and is clear and lots of pictures so OK really
on 24 September 2014
Great for understanding the different architecture terms
on 3 December 2015
too old but it is a good book
on 3 October 2009
Disappointing. Cover great but images inside are very technical and pale. I expected more drawings based on the history of architecture.