Customer Discussions > FIFA 13 (PS3) forum

Why are Video Games so expensive when we are in Recession???

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Sep 2012 15:17:25 BDT
Batman says:
This has been really bugging me for a while, why are video games still so expensive despite the whole world being in recession? It makes no sense. I remeber when the Ps3 first came out and I didnt buy games for a while because they were 50 each. Since 2009 prices for games have pretty much lowered by about 5-10 and have stayed at the 45- 40 mark. I would expect games to cost at least 25-20 now that were are in recession at least. I mean if I can buy a brand new Blu ray film for 16 then a video game shouldnt cost much more. There both blu rays right? I mean lets face it i would expect the film to cost more then the game after all esspecially as films normally have a budget of more than 200 million. Therefore I dont see an excuse for why video games are so expensive. Im still playing fifa 11 after what 4 years? Since they developed it. If the prices were lower then more people would buy them simple as. Ok rant over

Posted on 30 Sep 2012 16:53:38 BDT
Mad Fart says:
Batman.. the video game market is yet another fine example of the term 'rip-off'. Most games released, don't even work properly on release day and the personnel involved in making those titles, work hard every year, to stagnate the evolution of the game, so children and gamers alike, continue buying their sideways rubbish annually. If they had any intention of delivering you value for money, they would release one great game and save us all the hassle of having to buy a copy every year, which did nothing but move sideways. It's called business by thieves.

Posted on 1 Oct 2012 21:46:48 BDT
They are always more expensive when the console has been released. I was paying 25-40 for PS1 games 13 years ago, and this hasn't changed. Milk has gone up, beer has gone up, bread has gone up, but games are the same price.

As for lack of something new to advance gaming on (said by mad fart), that's because the big sellers are FIFA, COD, HALO and other games that sprout endless sequals that all the kids buy. If a developer tries something different (like EA did with Mirrors Edge and RUSE) they fail, because the little boys don't recognise it and so don't buy it.

Money lies in sports games and first person shooters, and some driving games. If a developer wants to do anything different, they better have a Skyrim budget or they will lose a ton of money.

Posted on 2 Oct 2012 10:17:05 BDT
*mad fart*

while you are absolutely spot on with most of your concerns, i would really like to point out that it is not the game developers that "rip you off". the publishers are pulling the strings because they are funding the development.. think of it like the publisher being the corporation and the developer being your standard employee. they just follow orders. im sure every developer would love to really release their creativity, but unfortunately not a lot of publishers allow this because they are the ones taking the risk by letting a game be produced that seemingly doesn't have mass market appeal. there is some great unique titles that have gone and received both crticial and commercial success however. Heavy Rain and Journey is two brilliant artistic titles that everyone should play. both published by Sony which is really the only publisher these days who greenlights these different experiences.
it isnt only children and gamers that just one annual release and then stops. casual players are just as guilty in this regard. how many wii systems have you seen with just dance 3 or new super mario and nothing else?. how many ps3 owners do you know with nothing but FifaXX and maybe an assasins creed, but then nothing else? how many xbox fans do you know with all the call of duty titles post modern warfare 1 but nothing else? casual people and children are the worst offenders. sure gamers do it a lot too, but we stay informed and get excited for stuff we see during the big games conferences. i think that is the problem with casual players. they just dont stay informed, and coupled with the perceived expensiveness of games, they buy one or two games every year. but which one? of course the franchise they already know. the logo is a staple of quality to them and they will be content playing fifa for 400+ hours before the next fifa comes out. after that they still call games expensive. then we have children ofc. which everyone just love playing online with. take any match in cod and you can be certain not even a quarter of the players is the recommended 18 years or older to play it. these lovely loudmouth rascals also buy just 1 or two games every year. but that is because they dont have any money, so they have to get their game through holiday and birthday presents. again the same mentality. what do they know? call of duty. they played the last one and is very content being passive with the same content again and again. it doesnt hurt either that they can unleash their hate on random people through a mic.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Oct 2012 15:13:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Oct 2012 15:14:25 BDT
Mad Fart says:
I didn't solely blame the developers, did I?

It's a vicious circle unfortunately, I agree. Everyone involved is at fault. The players/gamers, the makers, the distributors, the publishers blah blah.. I don't buy games on release day any more. I wait for it to go Platinum and even then I don't buy it, because gamer reviews can't be trusted. A good portion of the reviews, are written by 'employees'.

I am the first to dislike 5 star reviews on this site, because they are written by morons. :O) Whoever disliked my initial post, is either a bag of hot air, or can't read.

Posted on 2 Oct 2012 19:04:24 BDT
I think you should only dislike 5 star reviews mad fart if they are accompanied by a one line review.

For some reason people (I gotta say this, they are often nerds) get upset when games mags give 10/10 for games, but this doesn't mean it is 'perfect' it just means it is an essential purchase for a gamer (eg Red Dead, Unchartered, Metal Gear etc). I find it funny when people rate things percentage-wise, as if there is some special megical mathematic formulae.

I did a five star review of RUSE, because I felt it was the best military strategy game ever to be released on console.

Posted on 2 Oct 2012 22:54:54 BDT
Mad Fart says:
I dislike things, when they are released unfinished (every EA Sports game). Fight Night World Champion for instance.. broken rubbish. The New Fifa... broken rubbish. The annual laugh that is Football Manager, always broken out of the packet and very little innovation, other than the aesthetics.

I notice every year, the same people vote these titles, 5 stars, because they are fanboys... they are not being truthful, or reliable to those wanting/needing a balanced review. That's why I dislike them mate. I don't dislike all 5 star reviews, of course - but the majority are clear in their intentions.. to promote their fave title and make others waste their cash. It's the major downfall of Amazon imo. You have to search for two days, to find one reliable review. When you write a solid review, that tells the truth, the fanboy trolls come knocking and start stalking every comment made. It's pathetic.

I bought Red Dead and the save file corrupted my hard-drive after 60% completion. As good it was and I loved that game.. I couldn't give it 5 stars, because of the inconvenience and the fact I couldn't complete it. I've only played one game (UFC Undisputed 3), since release day, that has never crashed. Not once. It's brilliantly made and well worth the money. I still only gave it 4 stars, because the load times are seriously lengthy, no matter what you do on the game. So long, it becomes a problem and hinders the fun.

I do pick and choose, I don't blanket dislike all the fives. There are some decent folk like yourself who get it and are very reliable. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Oct 2012 12:53:16 BDT
Thanks dude thats a nice comment.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Oct 2012 09:50:56 BDT
abby 786 says:
go on ebay

Posted on 22 Oct 2012 19:49:02 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Oct 2012 19:51:57 BDT
L. Thompson says:
Games are so expensive because that's been the status quo for since the dawn of time and they still sell very well.

I'm in total agreement though that games shouldn't cost much more than the price of a blu ray - what do you think costs more to make? a big budget Hollywood summer movie or a video game? Of course the people in the game industry will say a game typically costs more to make but be honest and use your head. Hiring a room full of programmers to work for a year on a game to then shell it out for 40 PER COPY!! Or a Hollywood blockbuster full of special effects and massive set pieces and careful editing that people spend 10 per cinema ticket to see and maybe 20 tops for the blu ray release later.

Add them both up and the Hollywood movie still doesn't cost as much as a video game even if you combine the cinema ticket and blu ray costs! So really how much of a con is the gaming industry?

And they've got the cheek to try to ban used game sales when they've already made their money for there to even be a second hand 'shadow sale'. Greedy the lot of them!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2012 13:32:29 GMT
whoami says:
because people still buy them.

Posted on 24 Nov 2012 02:58:10 GMT
Doragon says:
I'd only buy new games if it was something like Yakuza, Borderlands 2 (omg day one buy take my money!! kinda thing). or to just trade old stuff in for new games which publishers hate since we can eventually afford things at this time of year. So yeah they're expensive, the most popular seem to be really high. A game like Sonic & Sonic Racing: Transformed is like 24.99. PC games (which are sometimes the better of multiplatforms if done right..) are also 24.99 or 29.99. Not sure about stuff like Far Cry or Hitman, they'll get cheaper and stuff but COD, Fifa, Sims or Halo will stay the same for some time till the next game is out.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2013 13:39:30 BDT
It's a simple concept - demand and supply! Top companies employ top economists to figure out the optimum price to maximise profits. Maybe they would sell more copies if it was cheaper on release, but they have obviously estimated that they would lose money by doing this. Like every company, they are a profit making organisation looking to optimise their revenue. Clearly if they thought that they would increase profit by selling the games cheaper, then they would have done so!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2013 13:53:14 BDT
L. Thompson says:
I still think games are overpriced and it's all a work. I think the piracy issue isn't the beast it used to be either - again greatly exaggerated. The truth of the matter is it's a lot harder to crack and keep up with games console security and what not these days than it used to be it's a different world now. And the truth is it's not worth doing unless you don't play the latest games.

I think people complaining of piracy these days as far as games are concerned and used game sales especially are trying to drum up business by fabricating a much bigger issue than actually exists nowadays. Granted developers do go out of business, THQ being the most recent high profile one, but if they're not making money they go out of business like any other business entity. But why are they going out of business? Well they've obviously too much going out and not enough coming in. That's on them. Not piracy and not used game sales.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jun 2013 16:04:47 BDT
We may be in a recession but that doesn't mean that all industries are affected by it and the gaming industry is a fine example of being one of the few that has shrugged off the recession. That being said then why are blu ray games 40 each when blu ray DVDs are 16 when movies have a larger budget?? Because the vast majority of movie producers makes all their profits from screening the movie in cinemas around the world and once the movie has passed its prime its then released on DVD/Blu ray for those who missed the cinema experience and to make a little bit of an extra profit (if any profit due to piracy).
With games, once they are released, they go straight into stores on a CD format, missing out on the main money making factor that movie producers enjoy. therefore, games will need to be expensive in the beginning if developers are going to earn some bread from it. Also the video game industry is more vulnerable to piracy then the movie industry as most people would get pirate movies once they are on blu ray or DVD format (because a copy of a DVD/ Blu ray gives a much better quality picture then camera recordings). While games are released on those formats immediately, they can be pirated immediately while still having almost the exact same quality game play as the original (PC games are the usual victims)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  FIFA 13 (PS3) forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  30 Sep 2012
Latest post:  28 Jun 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
FIFA 13 (PS3)
FIFA 13 (PS3) by Electronic Arts (PlayStation 3)
3.8 out of 5 stars   (485)