on 24 August 2002
Having never travelled in Europe alone before and not speaking a word of italian, I had studiously read up on my destination. This book did give me enough information so that when I landed in Italy I knew where to go and how to get there.
A very useful tool for the layman and it covers all the main touist area's. One draw back is, that after two days of tourists you can discover a different Venice in the back alleys and streets of this unique city. This should be highlighted more.
But I would probably not have enjoyed my trip half as much, without the preperation. Thank You LP.
on 7 June 2004
We just came back from a 2.5 days stay in Venice. As always, we trust on LP for all the practical info. The maps are helpful and the suggested walking tours were excellent.
We'd like to see more addresses for supermarkets and/or other self-catering possibilities in and around Venice. As LP is a guide for the budget traveller, tips for expensive restaurants aren't going to be used anyway.
Also the author warned the readers about the petty crime like pickpocketing in Venice. But we experienced the better side of the city, the possible threats of getting your wallet stolen on a crowded vaporreto or during queueing for entering a museum is much lower compared to other Europeans tourist hotspots like Paris or Barcelona. Here the author might think of a more positive way of writing his warnings. Cos after reading the guide, we had more or less an idea of getting into the hole of the lion, while Venice is such a relaxed beautiful town.
Compared to the 2002 edition, Venice has become even more expensive on all the topics handled in the guide. For example, the 3-day vaporreto-ticket costs now 22 EURO instead of the 18 EURO in LP. Also the tickets for museums have raised at least 10% in price compared to what is stated in the guide.
In general, LP has been a great informative guide that shows you Venice is much more than St. Marco's Square alone.
on 31 August 2005
As a LP devotee and a part time traveller I automatically reach for a LP guide as soon as I book a trip - unfortunately I found this Guide quite hard to follow and have fedback this to LP. The book jumps around and instead of having info in one section on a particualr place I found I was having to constantly refer to the index. I also found the maps a little difficult to read and the photos were not helpful in identifying buildings or site seeing. The information on getting around was quite scary like the overcrowded boats etc - although they could be busy they were no way as bad as a tube at peak time in London's underground system (for those of you who are familiar)! We found the Easy Guide (available from the information offices) a decent investment - it had a good map, things to do and details of what's on. P.s - don't forget your insect repellent - mozzies had a field day when I landed!!
on 3 December 2003
We bought this book a few weeks before going, and were also lent another travel guide (Michelin I think).
This was the more definitive, with great tips on what to see and do. It was used constantly in our 4 days there, and although I am not sure I would return to Venice, I would definitely return to the Lonely Planet archives when I next go on holiday...