on 22 December 2002
As an avid collector of thai recipes I have to say that this book is the best ever!! The recipes are very easy to follow. The ones that I have tried are very authentic tasting too - I lived in Thailand for 2 years and sampled a lot of food whilst out there so I know what they should be like. Vatcharin has really got it right in this book - his recipes are "spot on" and the ingredients are now very easy to find in the UK. A lot of the dishes are very quick to cook too - as street food is. I would recommend that anyone interested in thai cooking - from beginer to experienced cook sould buy this book.
on 5 February 2005
From the cover page, this book is beautifully illustrated, with wonderfully atmospheric images of life in Thailand, along with well arranged photos of many of the dishes and ingredients.
The recipes themselves are also nicely presented, clearly formatted, with the names of the dishes in both English and Thai.
The main recipes within the book itself are split into 5 sections, representing the 5 culinary districts covered in this edition. Examples include; from the Bangkok chapter Pad Thai Gung (Thai fried noodles with prawn). From the 'North' chapter; Grat Dook Moo Tod (Deep Fried Spare Ribs). And from the 'by the sea' chapter Yam Talay (Hot and Sour Seafood Salad).
The introduction too is fascinating, with insights into life in Thailand and how food fits into to it. It also contains a guide into ingredients, techniques and more, which may go into making even the most basic of the dishes. Additionally, the recipes for the many of the curry pastes which are the basis for many of the dishes in the book are also collated within the chapter.
All in all, Smashing!
on 24 May 2013
This guy was writing books about Thai food before David Thompson had heard of Thailand. A great book demonstrating many basic dishes, but there are many superb lesser known dishes like 'Kanom jeeb' too. Well well worth the price!
on 24 March 2003
This is the best thai book that i have seen. The food is simple, easy to cook with fantastic photgraphs to illustrate authentic thai food. A must for anyone interested thai cooking.
on 21 November 2006
Bought the book a couple of years ago on my return from Thailand. It reminds me of all the delicious food I tasted over there. The recipes are of the most authentic I have seen. Buy it for a taste of paradise.
on 20 November 2015
Brilliant book, was recommended it by someone who bought it while they were in Thailand years ago. We have tried 3 recipes so far and they are all delicious and very easy and quick to cook. If you have been to Thailand this is as close as it gets to genuine street food!
on 19 May 2011
I bought this gift for my dad who lives in Canada. The level of communication from elite digital uk was great as I was worried that it may not arrive in time for his birthday or that it wouldn't arrive at all. I can't comment on the book itself, although my dad is quite chuffed with it and can't wait to start trying out recipes, however I can highly rate the company it was purchased from and look forward to dealings with them in the future.
on 3 May 2011
This is a fantastic book with very easy to cook recipies without difficult to get ingredients.
What a brilliant way to cook making a meal tasty, healthy and quickly put together. Ideal for anyone that works. There are so many recipies to try out and already I have made a lot of them so far and not been dissapointed.
on 18 February 2013
One of the best cook books I have owned. Very simple recipes that are easy to follow. Nicely presented and food tatses authentic. Will be a staple in my kitchen.
on 26 December 2014
A great book, made a few dishes already, took me back to being in Bangkok