on 29 July 2014
it is a nice metal construction, I ordered the 58mm, but watch out as the front side will not take a 58mm lens dust cover, even though the thread to the lens side on the reverse fits a 58m, it is larger than 58mm on the obverse side towards the shot subject, possibly to reduce vignette, at full depth of darkening it picks up a cross shape, as it works similar to a pair of Circular Polarizing Filters together at 90 degrees to each other, however at lesser darkening levels it works really nicely no spotting as others have mentioned, smooth running ring, my camera focuses really nice through this, the optical glass looks of a good quality, great for it's price, I however think that I will need a darker ND filter for what I am looking to achieve, so daylight long exposures for silk smooth waves at the seaside will need something stronger than ND 400, possibly a ND 1000.
on 9 January 2014
When I received the filter it looked okay, but after some long exposures I found that the "darkening factor" was not equal all over. I have got darker and lighter spots all over. So I would not recommend but I seems that some people get good ones and some bad. But I am not too fussed as it was a cheap product. I would recommend "fixed" glass ND filters not variable as there is less to go wrong!
on 3 September 2013
The accessory works fine except for the darkest ND400, where the field is not fully dark with bright spots in the corners.
VINE VOICEon 1 March 2015
Variable ND filters work by combining 2 polarisers and rotating them such that theyu block varying amounts of light. This means
you sometimes get weird effects, especially with wide lenses at the darkest settings. Its just a quirk of how they work. If you
realise that and work within its limitations this is a fantastic value item. The darkest setting is rarely usable for the reasons
described (in extreme cases I got a big dark X across the scene, at other times bright patches around the edges) but the
lightest to mid levels work well.

Its not a substitute for a fixed ND filter (its much thicker and will cause vignetting on most ultra wide lenses/zoom settings
for example) but as a general purpose get-out-of-jail tool when you normal filters are not enough its handy to have.
There is very little colour cast (maybe a shade cool) and if you watch out for the vignetting and patchy coverage
effects in the viewfinder it will serve you well.
on 6 May 2016
Variable ND filter arrived quickly in perfect condition. Having read the negative comments about "star" shaped light patterns appearing on photos taken at or around maximum darkening I immediately tested it on my Sony f1.8 50mm prime lens fitted to my Sony Alpha 58 APS-C camera.

I can confirm that at maximum strength my photos shot at f1.8 show NO SIGN OF UNEVEN ILLUMINATION.

I also tested it at intermediate and minimum power with no problems.

Note that my Sony lens is a moderate telephoto (equivalent to 75mm on a 35mm camera) and it is also a prime (non-zoom) lens.

I suspect that people complaining have been using wideangle zoom lenses . . . I haven't tried it on such a lens yet.

FURTHER INFO.
I have given it a more extended test using the f1.8 prime lens and discovered that I can get the horrible uneven lighting but it is caused by using the ND filter incorrectly.
The filter is designed to produce a maximum darkening of ND400 which 400x darker or about 9 stops.
When used within these limits, it produces even illumination.
However, the filter can be pushed beyond the ND400 factor to become excessively dark and that is when the uneven illumination occurs.

So people getting uneven lighting effects are most likely pushing the filter beyond the limits for which it was designed or guaranteed.

It's like using a car with a maximum engine speed of 6,000rpm.
You could probably rev it up to over 10,000rpm if you put it out of gear but it would be your fault when the engine blew up!
Use it within the limits for which it was designed and you should have no trouble.
on 17 March 2013
I was a little unsure about using filters but after a little research, decided to take the plunge and bought this. And I haven't been disappointed! It's really good for allowing you to judge exactly the right filter you need for your shot. And it is a very good price too!
on 1 February 2014
Great product to add to your camera kit. I have trialled this on Nikon D3200. Varying the settings you can enhance skyscapes landscapes and sunset/sunrise shots. Well worth buying for the amateur / serious photographer on a smaller budget.
on 11 August 2013
For the money this is an amazing piece of kit for your camera bag. very easy to use and as good as a more expensive one. worth getting in my opinion.
on 21 March 2015
For the price this is a great bit of kit.
At the darkest setting you do get some odd shadows/ blotchy bits but anywhere in between seems ok..
It allowed me to take some good eclipse photographs and softens water up nicely for longer exposures.
Not top grade by any means but for a light weight ,back of the bag, bit of kit it ticks the boxes.
on 28 July 2013
I bought this ND filter because of a recommendation after my old one got broken. After testing the filter for a few days i was pleasantly surprised how well it worked

It works better than my old ND filter did and my old one was three times the price

I would definitely recommend to others