Solid collection of Vanguard's dance output, spanning 1977 to 1985, with 3 "Special New Remixes" from 1995, the year this CD was released. This is not a DJ-mixed compilation, but the songs do slam into one another with some overlap and no breaks between them. The liner notes include writer, producer and remixer info.
1. "Love Hangover" The Players Association 5:40 (1977) - A flute-driven instrumental version of the Diana Ross original, jazzy in its orchestration.
2. "The Get Down Mellow Sound" The Players Association 7:21 (1980) - A mellow mid-tempo number with vocals.
3. "Mysterious" Twilight 22 5:54 (1984) - Heavy, slow electro-funk with male lead vocal.
4. "Over Like A Fat Rat" Fonda Rae 7:30 (1982) - (Special New Remix) Funky street sound. Hypnotizing with its steady, easy beat.
5. "Till You Surrender" Rainbow Brown 5:24 (1981) - Almost up-tempo. Handclappy, horn-y. Sounds like a party.
6. "Can't Get Away (From Your Love)" Carol Williams 6:41 (1982) - Spare, synthy, funky.
7. "Can't Get Away (From Your Love)" Carol Williams 4:58 (1983) - Previously unreleased club dub version.
8. "Dance To The Music" Junior Byron 8:06 (No year given) - Slow and deliberate. Junior's in no hurry.
9. "Too Turned On" Alisha 5:36 (1985) - Alisha was one of the more successful of the crop of Madonna-wanna-be's produced in the early 80's to cash in on Madonna's sound. A star of the "Power radio" trend of the mid-80's.
10. "Baby Talk" Alisha 5:38 (1985) - More Madonna, er, Alisha. Think, "Get Into the Groove." Even with the purposeful similarities, Alisha's songs were enjoyable.
11. "All Night Passion" Alisha 5:27 (1984) - Another strong Alisha entry.
12. "(The Best Part of) Breakin' Up" Roni Griffith 1982 6:35 - (Special New Remix) This is an early Bobby Orlando remake of the original Phil Spector-produced version by The Ronettes. The song approaches high-energy, especially in its original 12" form, yet this remix has bled it of some of its "Bobby O" energy, but not all. It remains up and fun.
Question to Vanguard: This is titled 'Part 1,' so when is Part 2 being released? We're waiting.
Question to Amazon: When will you fix the glitch that has this CD listed twice, with one of the entries indicating "Discontinued"? A little housekeeping is in order - this occurs frequently in the music department and wastes space.