Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.75

on 23 January 2011
The vampire for hire books are excellent. Having never heard of the author, I had low expectations, however they were quickly revised. The characters were well developed and storyline compelling. The lead character who has been given powers she never wanted at the expense of her happy family. Not heavy on sex but heavy on plot and i cant wait for the next installment.
on 4 February 2011
I have to admit to being a real fan of J R Rain having read alot of his books. The Vampire for Hire series has the makings of a classic. Samantha Moon juggles a family with being a vampire after an attack six years ago. She sees her husband grow distant and the pull of her condition weighs heavily on her role as a mother.

I would recommend these books to anyone who loves the Mystery, Thriller or Urban Fantasy genre. J R Rain writes about extraordinary beings in ordinary settings and his prose barrels along at a good pace.
on 13 March 2011
After reading and loving the first of this series, straight away I downloaded and read the 2nd. It was even better than the first one and now I can't wait for the 3rd :-)
Samantha is a a great leading character who is believable (as much as a vampire can be!!!) funny, sensitive and tough. Great the way she is discovering new powers and love her relationship with Detective Sherbet.
Roll on the next instalment :-)
on 29 August 2011
Like the first book, this was a thoroughly enjoyable supernatural romance detective story. But there is more than one mystery in here, and none of the most interesting ones are solved. This book is also short, and ends on a cliffhanger.

I don't like cliffhangers, and I don't like cynical marketing ploys either. If the writer had played fair and this book had been, as it should, a mostly self-contained full-length novel, I would have been happy and continued buying. As it is, I won't.

To the author; your books are good enough to stand on their own merits. This kind of thing will lose you as many readers as it gains.
on 19 April 2011
I am loving the Vampire for Hire series. It is great to read a detective story that has a heroine and the fact that she is a vampire with ever developing abilities gives this PI character another dimension. Not only does each book tell the story about a particular investigation, you are given more depth of each character and ones that you might have liked and sympathised with in book one, you will more than dislike in book two. Samantha Moon is a strong female lead and I am enjoying watching her grow and push herself to find out what her limits are. I'm not going to say what happens in this book because it will spoil the surprise, all I can say is that I am so glad that I downloaded book three because there is a real cliffhanger in book two and no way could I put my kindle down and not know what was going to happen next.
on 13 August 2012
I loved Moon Dance - the first in the series of Samantha Moon books. The dialogue was witty, the storyline was engrossing, the personal dilemmas fascinating. And though Vampire Moon continues in much the same vein (hoho) it offers a little less in all areas.

And I hate it when books end on a "cliff hanger". If the story has been good enough - I will go out and buy the next in the series. If the story has no conclusion, I just feel short changed.

So, all in all, I'm happy to have read Vampire Moon - but I probably won't continue with American Vampire. Or maybe I will - I may miss the Sam character too much.

I kinda wish I had stopped after Moon Dance though - leaving me genuinely wanting more and not regretting that my enthusiasm for the characters and scenarios had been watered down.
on 1 November 2012
I have really gotten into the Vampire for Hire series. Samantha Moon is likeable as a character, she's a hard hitting mum who happens to like a glass of blood or two rather than the usual red wine. Her fight to be as normal a mother as possible despite her "condition" , is heart warming and her compassion for the people she helps in her investigation work makes you want to be there fighting with her. As the series progresses her dark side is gradually coming through and she seems to becoming more comfortable with her inner vampire regardless of what she tells her self. The people she meets in her investigations help to construct her world of struggling to be a normal soccer mom by day and powerful clever sleuth detective with a serious punch by night, and make the stories all the more engrossing. If you don't want to be whisked off for your feet by one of her dodgy men (Werewolf, serial killer or even pervert ex-husband) you will at least want to hit them!
I wouldn't go so far as to say these are the best vampire books I have ever read, the stories are not the most complex or the most cleverly written and can be a little repetitive, but I do so thoroughly enjoy reading them and will easily complete a whole book in several hours of one day (forgetting to do any housework or cooking and just enjoying following Samantha Moon on her adventures) so I would happily recommend them to any vampire fiction fans. They are currently my favourite late night read and what on earth I will do when I have run out of Vampire for Hire books I don't know!
on 29 August 2012
As vampires go, what is there to dislike about Samantha Moon? She's so versatile whether in 'natural' or supernatural mode.
Despite being the main character, the other characters are quite powerful in their own right.
Poor old Detective Sherbet, as if he hasn't got enough to deal with professionally what with sightings of enormous flying creatures and reports of equally enormous 'dog like creatures' strolling around the neighbourhood, Sherbet who reminds me of a modern day version of Dixon of Dock Green (for those old enough to remember him) has a serious doughnut problem and he's heading for the Priory for detox if he doesn't cut back.
To make matters worse, his son loves pink, enjoys playing with barbie dolls and has the occasional crack at cross dressing. Come on Sherb, it is the 21st Century.
Sams skills as a Vampire continue to get better almost on a daily basis and her 'Husband' relishes in making her squirm. If you've ever wondered what is lower than a snakes belly, look no further, it's Danny her hubby. But as they say, 'What goes around comes around'.
I never expected the book to end the way it did, what a cliff hanger. Thank the Lord I downloaded #3 onto Kindle.
May the series continue to flourish, this vamp is heading for the Ivy League on fast track.
If you haven't read from #1, you are missing a real treat.
on 7 September 2011
The only problem with this story is that there too many plots going on at once in this story that the plot gets a bit cluttered. The story however does maintain the large print and fast pace read of the first book that makes fans of paperback over E-books hope for future non kindle releases from this writer.

Vampire Detective Samantha moon has been trying to make the best of a bad situation. She is trying decide if she wishes to meet her long time E-mail pen pal Fang in person for the first time while at the same time trying to use her detective skills to find out her ex-husband's dark secret in hopes that it will allow her leverage to get her kids back from him. At the same time she has her cop friend questioning her about a body drained of blood in an ally; both the husband of a battered wife and a crime lord threatening the lives of her children. Especially since Samantha's ex-husband is taking more and more rights away from her when it comes to see her kids.

This story also has things like an interesting twist on the were wolf legend as Samantha Moon meets her lawyer friends alter ego for the first time and find their nothing like any of the legends or past stories ever done with were wolves.
on 11 May 2014
In this book Samantha life just gets that little bit more complicated. As her client form the first book falls in love with her or does he just want her for who she is a vampire its a little up and down and Samantha herself i don't think she really knows who she loves but does lean of her 1st client for support a lot more than she does her husband. All she cares about in this book is dealing out justice and to protect this innocent woman but seeing as the courts do not know about vampire and supernatural beings she has to be the judge and jury and sentencing judge in this book. but is she doing the right thing by doing this?

I liked that her life also is in a state of change in this book as exciting as the detective part of this book is i enjoy that there are other things going on i think if it was just about her job this book i would have put down by the time i read the 2nd chapter but i love there there are more than just one story line and life out of work is conveyed in the book.This book had me wanting to know what happened did she chose her husband or the supernatural being . has anyone found out about her being a vampire and how is she coping with being one.