on 27 May 2013
This series was just awful and i only read it till the last book because i don't like leaving a series in the middle. I also wanted to see whether the book would redeem itself towards the end but no. By the end of the series i absolutely hated Elena mainly because she messed around the Salvator brothers so much. There is a word for girls like her but i do not think that the people at Amazon would appreciate me using it so i will leave that to your imagination. I cannot rant about how much i hated this series enough. I do feel though that it was the ghost writer that let it down because the first few books that was actually written by L.J Smith were not too bad.

I would give this entire series only half a star but there was no option for that. If your looking for a good vampire genre series i would recommend Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse Series. Its much better written even though it does have a similar love triangle going on.
on 21 November 2012
Well where to start!! To be honest this has to be the worst written book out of the whole series. The characters that L.J.Smith created in the original books have just been completely destroyed. They have no depth, everything that was interesting about them has quite frankly disappeared. This is a very disappointing book, the way it was written seemed like is was forced. There is no feeling in the book, no imagination has been used while writing it.
I would advise people not to buy it unless you really want to see how it ends or you just want to finish the collection, but trust me when I say the ending is very predictable. There was only one part in the entire book that surprised and that was near the end of the book.
It was a total waste of money in my opinion.
They should never have fired L.J.Smith, at least if she wrote the books you can guarantee it would have been written a whole lot better and it would of have a bit of feeling in it.
on 4 May 2013
This being the last book of the series, you would expect it to be: suspensefull, gripping, keeping you at the edge of your seat, romantic (Damon pulling out all the stops to make Elena choose him instead of Stefan), full of surprises, exciting, misterious and have an amazing bloodthirsty, slightly scary plot and battle scene, the list goes on. I wont bore you anymore than i probably already have about what should have been.

After 'the return' (which i thought was amazing) 'the hunt' was a real let down. Destiny Rising was pitiful. It held no real surprises or suspence. They chose a ghost writer, one of these reason was because it was TOO Delena, so they fired L.J Smith, but this... its just awful, i wont give away too much of what happens but there was just too little of Delena for me and the way Damon was written in this book after all of the hard work in the return which showed you what was underneath the shackles and behind the mask... then this??

I realize it was for Stelena fans but this... if it had to be Stefan and Elena then my ideal ending , she chose Damon then there would have been an action packed fight that Klaus was winning, then at the last moment Elena is about to recieve a killing blow which Stefan leaps infront of or something, but Elena gets unconcious and is reminded of all the times Stefan was there for her or something like that.

Of course MY ideal ending would be Delena.

Anyway aside from the love triangle this book is really terrible, if i was you dont make the mistake of paying for it,do what i did and get it from the library.
on 2 December 2012
The service was great but the book was a let down. I felt the story line could have been written better and the ending was rushed :( love the other books though.
on 26 October 2014
Significantly better than number 11, this book is a bit of a roller coaster in my opinion.

Whilst this book has its very interesting parts, Elena plays a big role in this one and unfortunately it's the last time we actually see her as Elena and not some little cry-baby without a spine. You'll notice as the book draws to an end a shift in her personality.

I deem this book to be okay, whilst the series has gone on for too long, this book did pick up a little bit from the turmoil the previous one left us in. Stefan is still Stefan, Meredith is growing stronger and her personality is beginning to take over, Bonnie is maturing and it isn't played too heavily on how she's little Red Bird and innocent and childish anymore (like it is constantly played on in some others in the series)

All in all I did enjoy this book, I won't give anything else away but I don't feel like it's going to be on the top of anyone's reading list.

This book was not written by the original author.
on 5 December 2012
I just loved the series before this came out. I can't get more than half way through this one. Yawn****
on 5 November 2012
Why dont characters in this series ever stay dead?! There are only so many times you can bring back characters! I mean Elenas been dead.. a vampire.. spirit... human again.. and a guardian? Klaus is back, Katherine's back.. Damon was dead at one point..
Stefan has no personality left whatsoever, Elenas lost the bond she had with Damon. Its written almost because it had to be theres no feeling in it whatsoever.
Meredith, Bonnie and Matt are all lacking the character they had.
The ending was disappointing. Theres no closure between Damon and Elena, i didnt disagree with the choice she made just the way it was done.
on 19 February 2013
Sorry to say but as these volumes went on it got worse and worse.. Maybe something to do with it being ghost written? L.J Smith got tired and bored with it years ago which was sad. Also the editor of these books should never be allowed to work again because he/she are terrible at their job.
What a rubbish and muddled ending. Stupid concepts which I think were meant to spice it up? ..But utterly failed.
Like Eleana has "special" powers??...Again. People coming back from the dead...Again.. Boring!
Thank goodness this is over because quite frankly it could not have got worse.
on 6 May 2013
Having read all the previous books in the Vampire Diaries series I was looking forward to reading this one despite my disappointment with the previous one, and unfortunately I have to report that I did not enjoy this one either. It is of course a matter of opinion, but it did not grip me in the way the earlier books did. The storyline almost mirrored that of one of the earlier books except the setting was in college rather than high school and a few more characters appeared.

Basically it was a disappointment and, in my opinion, not worth purchasing.
on 29 November 2012
Having enjoyed the first books, I loved the unusual and original storylines, the dynamic between the characters. This book felt like a shoddy attempt to resolve everything in one go. Has the author decided to finish the series? If so would have expected something more after the last 9 books. If not then I'm not sure I can be bothered to find out the new direction they are taking. I'll stick to the tv series!