on 13 December 2009
First....the positives:

After installing VMWare Fusion, I was really pleased at how easily it was all done. The system provides you with 3 options of installation - i.e windows from a CD, conversion from Boot Camp or import a copy of your PC. I installed Windows XP from an original CD and it was a complete breeze. You have a security option to decide whether you want to share all of your Mac data with windows or run an isolated process. I opted for the isolated option to protect my Mac data from the many PC viruses but then set up a sharing folder for the data I need to share with windows.

The settings are really useful and you can change how much memory or how many processor cores you want the Virtual Machine to use. You can also configure virtual drives if you want separate hard disk space and, although I couldn't assign my external USB partition as an actual drive, it worked fine as a virtual partition.

Now the not-so positives:

I am running this on a standard MacBook with snow leopard, a 2 GHZ dual core processor and 2 GB of memory. I assigned one core to the VM and left the standard allocation of 512MB of memory. Well, the first thing I noticed was that the virtual machine slowed to a crawl when I started running excel and Visual C++ at the same time. There was no real impact on my Mac apps so I changed the memory allocation to 1 GB each but that slowed it all down and it became such a pain I changed it back again. I need at least 4GB of memory if it is going to serve its purpose for me.

Verdict:

If you don't intend to use the VM and Mac Apps at the same time, and are happy to swap memory allocations, then it is perfect on any Mac.
If you want to run applications on both at the same time, ensure you have enough memory (2GB wont be enough).

UPDATE: I have now installed an extra 2GB of memory (now have 4GB in total) and it is superb !!. I have now upgraded my rating to 5 stars
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought this to go with purchase of a new 27" iMac. I've not completely converted to MacOS because of lack of support for certain things like phones and sat navs that I own. Not to mention that there are some things about MacOS that still annoy me intensely. The kit is nice to look at though!

Anyhow, thank God for software like this. Saying it's easy to set up is an understatement. After installing the software I put a Windows 7 install disc in the CD drive and fired up Vmware Fusions. Clicking on the 'File' menu and then 'New' brought up a dialogue box that recognised this was a windows install CD and correctly identified the OS as being windows 7 32 bit. I was prompted to input a password to the already input user-name (the same one I was logged in under MacOS X, which was fine) and it asked for the install code. I did this and then walked away to do something else. I expected to come back at some point where I would have to provide some other input. Instead I came back and it was done. Incredible. It opened the settings dialogue and I gave the virtual machine 2 of the processors and 2GB of memory. I clicked on the big 'play' symbol in the middle of the screen and I was booted into windows 7 in no time. I was then prompted to install some tools and the free McAfee Anti-virus (1 year license). So far, everything has worked like a dream. I've never had such a trouble free installation of a Windows Operating System. Even the networking was input free because it uses MacOS's internet access.

I then did the same with Windows XP pro, which was equally trouble free.

Initially you can only set the disc size as 40GB for some reason, but you can change this in the settings and if you have plenty of disc space you can pre-allocate the VMWare partition. You don't need a lot of space as the virtual machine can be set up at inception to share files with the main MacOS directories or an external drive. If you forget or aren't sure, you can always go back and change things. VMware Fusions can use bootcamp partitions and run them within MacOS X.

I can honestly say that I think there are exceedingly rare occasions when something deserves more than five stars. This is one such case. Very highly recommended for people like me who love the look of Apple's kit, but aren't yet ready to completely transfer to their operating system.
on 14 January 2010
VMware Fusion 3 (Mac) I have Fusion 2 to run on my Mac, there were things my PC would do which my Mac wouldn't, as others have said the 'phone support is better (particularly Sony 'phones) and I couldn't run Anquet maps at all, the Mac version of my OCR software was also another £350 - so using my existing disks to put Vista on my mac with Fusion 2 looked like a good deal (also used as a bootcamp version)but to do much I had to go into windows through Boot camp and run the mac as a windows Machine, but some things still worked well in Fusion (access to a widows formatted backup of all my PC data, for instance, so OK, but not special to that! Upgrade to Fusion 3 and Anquet runs perfectly, virtual mapping (Ordinance survey) quick and easy, OCR similarly accesses the scanner and does the job, Sony 'phone software, sees 'phone and updates, backs up etc. happily. I am running on a reasonably high spec Mac (pro with 6 GB memory) but it has been really smooth. I cna even play PC games with a Logitech joystick happily through the virtualisation! Have stopped using Boot camp, and will go over to full virtual PC as I see only advantages!
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am a joint Pc and MAc user. I prefer Macs but to be frank I do have to use some PC software which isn't available on a Mac. For example Goldmine and web design which you think would be the same is rather different. So I have two Macs, a MacBook and a 21 inch Imac and two PC laptops (both reviewed on here. Its cumbersome but regrettably using Macs for work isn't fully possible, yet.

Now I have used Bootcamp and din't like it so a few years back i purchased VMware Fusion Version 2. I thought that would be the answer to my problems in that I could switch between the programmes. The programme was easy enough to instal but it played havoc when I tried to load XP pro or Windows 2000. I found it inconvenient and off loaded the programmes never to see light of day again......until now.

Version 3 is a delight. In goes CD, it loads fast and upload my own XP pro Windows and I am flying. Ok wheres the snag? I can't find one. I had previous problems deleting copies of Xo (not Pro) from version 2 but this programme seems to have resolved those issues.

Now I did say there are no downsides. well not if you have at least 4 Gigs of memory, anything less and it may be a bit slow to react. The biggest woe I have is that I replaced Goldmine with Filemaker to make my own database and if only I had waited i could have run Goldmine from XP. Such is life!!!

Recommended - you bet (as long as you have g gigs and a newish Mac)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This was a doddle to install, and 64-bit Windows 7 went on afterwards just as easily.

Of course, it doesn't just support Windows. There's a list of well over a hundred OSes (can there really be that many in the world?!). But I guess most users will want it for Windows. I gave W7 1GB RAM and a single processor, and it ran very sweetly.

Switching between OSes is as simple as dragging your mouse - they're just application windows. There's a performance hit, of course, so high-demand apps like games may struggle, and you probably won't be able to share all hardware devices. But you WILL be able to share all your data: just drag & drop.

If you need to run Windows apps or attach PC-only devices, or simply aren't ready to give up your PC entirely just yet, this is for you.
VINE VOICEon 6 August 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
While Macs are loveable, there's no doubt there's a few programs (and even devices) that a PC convert will miss and this caters for that perfectly, as it has always done. Installation is a breeze and you can even use PC-manufacturer system restore disks than clean copies of Windows, which will satisfy Dell owners like myself.
So far, I haven't come across any problems so this strikes me as a really slick piece of software which will no doubt attract gamers, owners of obscure devices and productivity software that has no Mac counterpart. Well worth the price - just make sure your Mac has the system requirements to handle it. I haven't used the competition to know if it's better or worse than them.
on 28 October 2010
A short but useful review for you. I've just moved to the Mac world with the purchase of my MacBook Pro. As much as I love the OSX operating system, there are some applications that I use that require Windows. VMware Fusion is what you need. I've got the 2,4GHz Core2 processor and 4GB of RAM and VMware runs Windows XP perfectly on top of of OSX. This means I can run Windows apps without having to reboot my Mac.
Installation was extremely easy and the speed that it runs Windows is very impressive - I hardly notice a difference from using my work-provided Windows laptop.
If you are still on the fence, VMware offer a 30 day trial from their website - this is fully functional and allows you to see if the product is worth buying. Then, if you like it just buy this from Amazon at a great price and use the serial code that is in the box.
on 23 April 2010
This works just fine, or so I'm told by the guys who use it. Amazon sold it cheaper than anyone else - so that was good, too. Only thing is, it wasn't really needed as Windows 7 works fine on the i-Mac with Bootcamp just not simultaneously with the Apple software. With the VMware Fusion you can use both softwares at the same time, which would utterly confuse me - but that's just me.
on 11 October 2011
Purchased this software so that I could run Windows 7 on my new Mac Book Pro. I had already installed Win 7 using the Bootcamp option that came with the Mac but this was a nuisance as it meant I had to load either operating system but could not run both. When I installed Fusion 3 it recognized my bootcamp partition and set this up without any problem to run within the Mac OS. This part of the process was excellent and I had both systems running side by side. The issue that I was not advised about was that all the Windows programs on my Bootcamp partition treated this new set up as a new installation of the software and required me to re-register with Microsoft. This was okay for Win 7 as I had a spare license left but would not allow my Office Enterprise Software to be accepted as I had used up the 3 free re-installs. The only way around this was to purchase another copy of Office so bear this in mind when purchasing. The second challenge was when I upgraded to Lion OS on the Mac. I did check and new I had to upgrade the Fusion software to v4 which I did but when I then upgraded to Lion OS the Fusion refused to run as it threw up a message to say the "because a significant change was made to the Apple operating system this has caused the configuration table associated with the boot camp virtual machine to not reflect those changes" after a few hours of searching I found the answer which was to delete the bootcamp installation file within Fusion and then let it rebuild it. This should have been part of the information that came with the upgrade!

On the plus side the software when running is excellent and has been a joy to use.
on 8 October 2011
I bought this program so that I would be able to run my Windows 7 computer on a Mac without having to use Boot Camp. It works a treat when you get over the few hurdles of making it work properly with the machine, remember Macs can't write on NTFS systems. Here is my advisory for when you use it:

1. If you want to save space on your Mac, especially since I have a MacBook Air, buy an external hard drive to put your operating system on. Aim to get a 7200RPM one if possible. I recommend using this one: Seagate 500GB Expansion Portable USB 2.0 Hard Drive
2. Try to give any virtual machine you install up to and no greater than half of your RAM in the Mac, otherwise rightfully so memory swapping occurs.
3. If you're running the virtual machine with a copy of your old computer, remember when converting the Windows Operating System to make sure its made on FAT or exFAT format external hard drive, or the Mac will not be able to boot it properly.
4. If you're installing a fresh copy of Windows straight to VMWare, it is fine to just use the basic Mac file system.
5. The Network Conversion tool will not work in OSX Lion.
6. If you use an external hard drive with a ghosted copy of your Windows Computer, you might want to Partition it so it is half FAT/exFAT and half Mac file system (or NTFS if you're going to use it in Windows).
7. Remember to install VMWare tools, or your graphics will not function properly in the Virtual Machine
8. Some anti-virus programs may not be able to install properly on a virtual machine; however, VMWare gives you a 12 Month Subscription to McAfee Antivirus Plus for you to use.
9. You should turn Network Discovery off if you have Anti-Virus software on your Mac, as it will keep telling you about Suspcious Port Scans that are really false positives.

Hope this is useful; it is a nifty little product.