Use Excel 2010 VBA and macros to automate virtually any routine task, and save yourself hours, days, maybe even weeks. Then learn how to make Excel do things you thought were simply impossible! This book reveals scripting techniques you won’t find anywhere else and shows you how to create automated reports that are amazingly powerful and useful. It helps you instantly visualize information so you can understand and act on it. It also shows you how to capture data from anywhere and use it anywhere, and helps you automate Excel 2010’s most powerful new features. Learning advanced Excel scripting has never been easier. You’ll find simple, step-by-step instructions, real-world examples and case studies, and 50 workbooks packed with bonus examples, macros, and solutions, straight from MrExcel.
- Work efficiently with ranges, cells, and R1C1-style formulas
- Build super-fast applications with arrays
- Customize the Excel 2010 Ribbon to run your macros
- Write Excel 2010 VBA code that works on older versions of Excel
- Create custom dialog boxes to collect information from your users
- Use error handling to make your VBA scripts more resilient
- Use Web queries to import data from virtually any online source
- Master advanced techniques such as classes and collections
- Use Excel VBA to control other Office programs…even control Windows itself, via the Windows API
- Create add-ins to share or sell your programs
About MrExcel Library: Every book in the MrExcel Library pinpoints a specific set of crucial Excel tasks and presents focused skills and examples for performing them rapidly and effectively.
- Dramatically increase your productivity—saving you 50 hours a year or more
- Present proven, creative strategies for solving real-world problems
- Show you how to get great results, no matter how much data you have
- Help you avoid critical mistakes that even experienced users make
From the Back Cover
Using Microsoft Excel 2010 VBA scripting features, Excel users can save dozens - or even hundreds - of hours per year. But most Excel users have never written a VBA script: many haven't even used Excel's built-in Macro Recorder. VBA and Macros is the solution. One simple step at a time, two leading Excel VBA scripting experts teach all the techniques needed to automate virtually any Excel task and customize virtually any Excel report or business solution. Bill Jelen ("MrExcel") and top Excel VBA consultant Tracy Syrstad begin with the absolute basics, including ranges, user-defined functions, looping, flow control, R1C1-style formulas, and event programming. Next, they cover all this, and much more: " Automating Excel 2010's brand-new features " Writing Excel 2010 code that works with older versions of Excel " Creating charts, PivotTables, and other data visualizations " Mining data with Excel's Advanced Filter " Reading from and writing to the Web " Using XML from within Excel " Using Microsoft Access as a back end to enhance multi-user access to data " Handling errors " Customizing the Excel 2010 Ribbon to run macros This book is part of the new MrExcel Library series, edited by Bill Jelen, world-renowned Excel expert and host of the enormously popular Excel help site, MrExcel.com.
- The fastest, best way to go beyond the Macro Recorder and move up the Excel VBA learning curve
- Shows how to automate powerful new Excel 2010 features such as Sparklines
- Includes crucial information on making Excel 2010 VBA code work with older versions
- Co-authored by Excel legend and Microsoft MVP Bill Jelen ("MrExcel") as part of his new MrExcel's Library series
About the Author
Bill Jelen, Excel MVP and the host of MrExcel.com, has been using spreadsheets since 1985, and he launched the MrExcel.com website in 1998. Bill was a regular guest on Call for Help with Leo Laporte and has produced more than 1,200 episodes of his daily video podcast, Learn Excel from MrExcel. He is the author of 30 books about Microsoft Excel and writes the monthly Excel column for Strategic Financemagazine. You will most frequently find Bill taking his show on the road, doing half-day Power Excel seminars wherever he can find a room full of accountants or Excellers. Before founding MrExcel.com, Jelen spent 12 years in the trenches—working as a financial analyst for finance, marketing, accounting, and operations departments of a $500 million public company. He lives near Akron, Ohio, with his wife, Mary Ellen, and his sons, Josh and Zeke.
Tracy Syrstadis the project manager for the MrExcel consulting team. She was introduced to Excel VBA by a co-worker who encouraged her to learn VBA by recording steps and then modifying the code as needed. Her first macro was a simple lookup and highlight for a parts index, although it hardly seemed simple then. But she was encouraged by this success and others to follow. She’ll never forget the day when it all clicked. She hopes this book will bring that click to its readers sooner and with less frustration. She lives near Sioux Falls, South Dakota, with her husband, John.