on 19 March 2002
As a first year Politics student, I'm always using this book. Goodwin is a solid author to quote from and her work is clear and authorative. However, she can be a bit wordy, and this isn't a book you can pick up for five minutes. Despite this, or perhaps because of this, she explores the main political ideas such as liberalism, democracy and fascism with many more and is a must for any student or reader with a keen interest. Worth the money.
on 16 March 2000
I thought I understood the outline of the political beliefs espoused by the different parties in the UK. It turns out that I had at best half understood what I'd heard, or the parties had told half the truth. After having read this I'm a lot clearer.
on 7 March 2011
I am currently in my first year at university studying politics. This book has been an absolute lifesaver for my end of term essays. Goodwin explains concepts and theories in a coherent and easy manner. If you're struggling to get to grips with certain political ideas, buy this book. It is broken down into sections which allows you to pick and choose the relevant material. Furthermore, because many of the ideas were formulated centuries ago, the writing is hardly out of date. Well worth the money.
on 10 December 2011
Wow that was a good read. A very easy, and actually enjoyable to zip right through, textbook. The one issue is the title does promise handbook but then again a book this good can disregard small gripes.
on 14 November 2014
Is what was said on the tin... arrived pretty quickly too!
The book itself is a bit biased as a textbook, but hey whatever the universities want us to read eh?!
on 7 February 2015
just as described, delivery was also great