Format: DVD|Change

on 29 December 2005
At last for all of us who dislike going to the gym ...read on.
I'm not a lover of the aerobic workout dvds which I find boring and slow and that was another reason for the purchase of this.
I look at the cover of this dvd and think yeah some smooth grooves to start out my new fitness regime, slowly ...ah no. As it describes on the cover there are some slammin tunes and some slammin workouts to boot. I love this and once you have started to get to grips with some of the more complicated moves it really is fun and funky fitness.
There are six chapters to the dvd - introduction, warm up, slo & lo, mid-section, hard & heavy (yes it really is, and you will sweat!) and the cool down section. There is also a behind the scenes section on the dancers.
This is a must for you people out there who love to dance but hate the gym and sit behind a desk all day (when I'm not out on photographic shoots I'm also sat behind a computer piling on the pounds). This certainly gets the body moving and your blood pumping as well as teaching you some new dance moves - that includes you fellas out there, this is not just for the laydeez! Oh .....and one last thing ...HEALTH WARNING this may become rather addictive excercise, have fun.
0Comment|189 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 May 2010
I'm a dancer and been doing Salsa for over 10 years, so I wanted to add something to my dancing. So I browsed Amazon and found this. It's the best DVD workout I've got, but what I really wanted from it was to learn some great new Soul/RnB/Funk dance moves and that's what I got. So, some people have complained it's a bit hard, and they may be right but what's the point in doing an "easy" workout. Just do a little bit every day and don't worry if you get it wrong and everything will fall into place. When you're dancing, there is no wrong or right especially when it's just you in front of the TV!!
on 31 January 2006
I got this DVD for the days when I want a good aerobic workout without toning/conditioning exercises. It's a lot of fun, the moves are challenging at first but the sequences are repeated enough times so that they are not impossible. The music is great too. According to my heart rate monitor, it burnt almost as many calories as some of the tougher workouts I do and was in fat burning zone a lot of the time. All in all, I would say you get a good workout in a very enjoyable way!
on 20 February 2006
This Fitness DVD is more for people who want to learn dance moves rather than part of an effective weight loss regime. There are a couple of tunes such as Mya, Case of the Ex and Jamelia but nothing current considering that this was only released in Dec 2005. Also in the middle of the DVD the music is all synthised rather than actual songs. It's good fun, but if you actually want to work those hip, tums and bums, try Davina's DVD- I found this so much more to the point and with better instruction.
on 16 January 2008
I was generally impressed with this dvd. However, as an aerobics instructor, I couldn't help but notice that a lot of her technique is fairly poor, especially on some of the stretches. And I'm not sure how safe all the exercises are for the general population - there's certainly some things on there that we're specifically told not to teach in an aerobics class.
That said though, it's a fun workout. If you know how to exercise safely and can adapt the more dodgy bits, then this is very enjoyable from a dance and choreography perspective. But but you need to bear in mind that she's a dancer, NOT a fitness instructor.
33 comments|85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 January 2006
I'd always liked the sound of this dvd so I read some reviews and plumped to buy it. I found it a really good workout to good music which made me sweat without feeling like I was going to collapse at the end. I don't have much rhythm, but I found most of the moves fairly easy to follow first time round and I am sure that the ones I struggled with will be achieveable once I've done it a few times. The routines are broken down and are at a good pace which I was able to keep up with the majority of the time. This would suit all abilities as you can make it as easy or as hard as you like and get what you want from it.
on 19 June 2010
I think this DVD is definitely worth getting. The music is hot (actual r&b hits), the dancers are hawt and the moves are pretty cool.

Basically, it's laid out into 4 sections: Warmup, Slo and Low, Mid-Section, and Hard and Heavy. Within each section Shay Shay teaches you move 1, then move 2, then puts 1 +2 together, then teaches move 3, then puts 1+2+3 together, and so on and so forth.

My only problem with the DVD is that this format can be a bit tiring, ESPECIALLY the warmup, slo and low and mid-sections. The moves are kind of basic, especially if you're not that bad at dancing, so it gets old repeating them over and over again. Also, I really don't get my heart rate up much at all in these first three sections.

Hard and heavy is where I think this DVD shines. The music here is seriously pumpin' ("Catchafire" (Whoopsi-Daisy) by tobyMac) and the moves are sufficiently hard to keep me interested and get my heart rate up.

I do this workout maybe once every two weeks. When I do do it, I skip the warm up because basically slo and lo is a warmup for me (n.b. I am kind of in shape so maybe that's why). The rest of the time, I do a few other hip hop inspired workouts, including "Phat Moves" and "Hip Hop Workout" (see my "other reviews" of those). I would get those other two first, but this one is definitely a good part of a hip hop aerobics collection.
on 2 October 2007
Brilliantbrilliantbrilliant!! I'm so glad I chose this one as I was debating between MOS Pump it DVD and some others. I wasn't so sure aout this one as people said the moves are hard to follow and it's not very well explained through. And also I felt a bit intimidated with the word Urban as I felt it's going to some proper gansta moves and I'll feel silly trying to act like one..! But as soon as I put the DVD in, I felt it was the right choise for me! The music is really good (I know i would've hated the Pump it music!) and the people on it are lovely and not trying to patronise or anything. The moves are quite hard but what the heck! You can still just jump about to the music! Don't really care about the right steps. Still got a good sweat on! Recommend thoroughly!
on 23 March 2010
This dvd does have some great songs on it, but the moves are hard to master even for someone who goes to actual street dance classe's! They are not well explained and you could end up with some sore muscles the day after and not in a good way! I would not reccomend this DVD to beginners unless you are in for a challenge, all I can say is good luck!
on 7 February 2008
This is a fun workout with a likeable and friendly instructor but the moves are difficult! I have only tried it once so far and in the end I turned it off and did one of my 'easier to follow' DVDs. So it takes a bit of work to learn the moves, but is especially good for people who want to learn how to dance.

I was interested to read another review saying some of the moves are not recommended for aerobics classes because my back is KILLING me the day after doing half of this video! I hope I just pulled a muscle...