on 15 July 2012
I'm not sure what the other reviewers are reading!

I come from a fairly long coding background and use PHP extensively every day - plus a fair bit of Javascript, as I co-own a web design company. We decided to branch out into iOS games so have been working in various packages, finally deciding to settle on Unity.

I'm personally going the Javascript route, so this book seemed perfect, but my warning to potential buyers of this book is - if you do not have ANY experience in Javascript then avoid this book. It just doesnt explain anything to any great degree and it assumes a lot of knowledge. My colleague and I agree that this has been written in an informal way - as if 2 guys sat down and chatted through making the project with a dictaphone and then that was turned into a book. Its VERY informal.

"Do this, then do that, then do this..." - no explanations as to what or why you are doing a lot of the things and even to the point that you have to hunt around to find things they dont explain.

Just got to a prime example and after putting this review off, was the final straw and I feel I have to warn people now. So the example is in Chapter 2 page 70 - you have just added a model of a ship to your game and the book says;

"Add a rigidbody component to the ship..."

The book has not mentioned ANYTHING about rigidbody components so far. I dont know what a rigidbody component is from "Adam". There is also no reference to where or how you do this and its never mentioned again (well, least not for the next few pages from what I can see).

This is just one example of the type of thing that happens throughout the book. Its very poorly written, rushed and only purely the fact that I have a decent degree of Javascript knowledge can I muddle through and make the examples work.
on 12 January 2015
This isn't a very good book. The code and examples are of a pretty poor quality. There are better books for learning Unity.