Price:£11.04+ Free shipping

on 25 July 2009
I bought this pinata for my little girl's 4th birthday party. The children started bashing and bashing... and bashing, and it would not break!!! And to think I was worried that they all wouldn't get a turn, they all went at least 3 rounds!! The parents got a big laugh out of it, and eventually we had to tear it open for them. The box was a cardboard box that even had cardboard reinforcements on the interior.
NOT recommended for little people. Kids need to be at least 7-8 years old to bash this one in!!!
on 8 January 2013
As one would normally, I purchased this chest for a birthday party. Not mine, but that of my daughter. 4 years of age and ready to wack a piñata with a bat.

Great.

Filled with sweets, confetti and plastic coins the children queued and re-queued to get their chance to beat this comical effigy of a treasure chest.

For 30 minutes, they toiled.

The most amazing thing was, not a scratch was made. Not a dent, nary a bit of tissue out of place. As though it were some sort of immaculate object impervious to the greedy sweet driven kinetic explorations of the partygoers.

Alas, as their poor arms tired and as blisters grew on their yet work hardened hands a second plan was quickly formed.

We enlisted a broad shouldered father of two who had enjoyed a complementary beverage. With a mighty swing he struck. The children crouching for cover sprang up expecting the box to explode in a shower of corn syrup enhanced goodness

Nothing.

He tried again. The very roof shook. The booty box flew against its sturdy plastic-tie tether rattling its cargo. Was it dented? Was it disemboweled? No.

Plan C was enacted. Returning from the kitchen, the children crowded close as I was forced to take a knife to the bottom of the chest and once sliced, throwing the contents high triggered a kiddie melee as such not seen since the great "Chocolate Riots" of ought-seven.

My initial thought was that I had purchased a flight data recorder disguised as a party piñata treasure chest. Second thought was that the hands that built this box should be enlisted to construct much more expensive and long lasting items like nuclear waste structures or actual treasure chests.

The true culprit, cardboard.

Now far be it from me to impart my worldly knowledge to the creators of this party toy. However in the grand and vast land of Mexico where piñatas can be purchased in all manor of shapes and sizes, they are by in large constructed of papier-mâché, a fantastically cheap combination of water, glue, newspaper and labor. The tissue decorations act not as protective armor but rather costume the cheap and most importantly fragile undercarriage with colorful adornments. Were you to, for example string the papier-mâché piñata from a tree, it would only take a few sharp contacts to break the glue and paper assembly and shower the guests with cheap plastic and candy entrails.

This makes papier-mâché ideal, in fact, for constructing piñatas.

This Cardboard constructed treasure chest is a misnomer. This chest is constructed out of corrugated fiberboard not flimsy paperboard. Corrugated fiberboard is a paper-based material consisting of a fluted corrugated sheet and two flat linerboards, a laminate, an engineered material which has been enlisted to safetly package our goods since the 19th century.

Corrugated fiberboard is widely used in the manufacture of corrugated boxes and shipping containers, when it comes to corrugated fiberboard boxes, Strength is measured in two distinct figures: the edge crush test, and the burst test. The edge crush test is a measurement of how much weight is needed to crush a piece of corrugated cardboard standing on an edge. The burst test is a measurement of the pounds per square inch of pressure needed to rupture a cardboard panel. The standard measurements for a typical piece of corrugated cardboard is 32 lbs. for the edge crush test and 200 lbs. per square inch for the burst test.

200 psi what the average baseball bat imparts on a ball in flight. An AVERAGE. 200 psi is not what a 4 year old with a broom handle can deliver to anything even in perfect circumstances.

So with this knowledge in hand. Please buy this fantastic treasure chest, and store valuable items for transport in difficult journeys. Do not buy it if you want your children to have any hope of opening it with a blunt instrument.

I have mounted the colourful treasure chest in my lounge along side the lion head and bull elefant I felled on safari. The pictures of the weary and battle hardened partygoers adorn the stained wooden plaque surounding the colorful conquered box. I am sure the monument to this battle will outlast the wall to which it is affixed.
66 comments|49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 April 2014
We got this for our disabled grandson's birthday. It did not break too quickly so all the children got a chance to hit it a couple of times. Everyone enjoyed it and we are sure that pinatas will appear at more parties now. Suitable for all ages and abilities (& most disabilities)
on 6 February 2014
It looks cool but it didn't take very long at all for 11 year old boys to smash it up, would have liked it to last longer
on 3 April 2012
Yes I agree,this was far too robust! By the time we got into it the sweets were smashed to bits!!
on 24 June 2015
Kids young & old had lots of fun with this at my son's 11th birthday party. Not so flimsy that it falls apart after the first tap, but not so difficult to break open that everyone gives up. Holds a good amount, too.
on 23 August 2013
i used this for the older children at my son's first birthday.

Very attractive, easy to use (and hang up!).
lots of space inside.
I would recommend this.
on 20 April 2015
Only one layer of crepe so once filled it was easy to see where the hole was. Kids had fun all the same and with a mixture of 3 to 8 year olds taking turns it took just over 20 mins to break and spill. Of course Dad had to have a go too.

Gave us just enough time to set up the next course of buffet after the treasure hunt. A great time was had.
on 22 June 2013
I ordered this for my son's 8 year old Indiana Jones theme Birthday Party. We had 14 boys here and they all loved it, the only person able to break it was my daughter who was 10. It certainly kept them entertained for a while.
VINE VOICEon 23 May 2016
We bought this because of one utterly marvellous review which pointed out that it is really rather hard to break this pinata and that isn't perhaps the idea behind them. I would agree, it isn't, but filled with goodies and kids aged between 1 and 8 armed with boxing gloves, sticks and steely determination can have at this pirate chest for some time before it even begins to dent. Indeed, I believe the hanging mechanism broke before the pinata did. So much fun. We would recommend, but not if you are looking for a pinata that will break with ease. This is more of a pinata that will break with a great deal of effort, adult assistance and perhaps a knife. But before it does kids will have fun doing their best to destroy it.