Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 July 2014
Unfortunately, zero stars is not allowed...

I usually strongly avoid books written by academics/uni professors. They often seem more obsessed with being academic (i.e. writing in the most obscure and academic-speak style possible in order to impress with their intellectual superiority) than just telling the damn story. And here we have a perfect example.

I got 3 chapters into this and have now replaced it on the shelf. The only dilemma I now have is whether to bin this costly load of tosh or hope that one day my intellect can aspire to understand what the hell this writer is trying to say.

In short, this is a book written by an academic determined to remind us with every painful page that he is an academic. It's written in this way for university students who presumably will feel comfortable with this obscure and pretentious style of telling an otherwise great story. And then these students will presumably be expected to regurgitate this incomprehensible tosh into equally pretentious and incomprehensible essays.

Or Shuker could have just got on with it and told the story....