Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos

on 22 November 2010
I couldn't put this book down, a brave, brave account of living a life with a eating disorder. Portia goes to hell and back, a must read.
on 9 December 2010
literally didn't put it down, was finished with it within a day and a half of it coming through the door! This is the first approach toward the issue of eating disorders i've seen that doesn't feel patronising, but enables you to go on a journey with someone who truely understand the issues that you face. Portia's been the first person to really capture that sense of glee and excitment you get when that scale drops another fraction, she is the first person, to my knowledge, who's been unafraid to honestly lay bare the almost bipolar aspect of having an eating disorder. Taking you from the humiliating feeling of being unsuitable for public viewing right through to extact sense of joy when you're at your 'perfect weight', and the almost exhibitionist factor it brings! Through doing this she uncovers exactly how dangerous and unmaintable it is to live with a eating disorder. Either you're miserable and literally feel like your not worthy of human interation or your happy with yourself but at the cost of cutting out family, causing massive sorrow and literally killing yourself. No holding back, this books states it as it is, either get better or you'll die one way or another.
on 13 November 2010
As someone who has struggled with weight issues for most of my life, I found Portia de Rossi's memoir both emotional and unsettling. She so accurately portrays the experiences of anorexia - the isolation and the feelings of total and utter imprisonment - that I was transported back to a terrible time in my life. The best news is that this book has made me determined never to revisit that time ever again. This is an account filled with sadness, but also hope. I would recommend it to anybody who has ever suffered from, or loved anybody with, eating problems.
on 30 August 2011
I felt compelled to write a review of this book as it was just so well written and so inspiring. Porita writes such an honest account of the hell someone goes through with an eating disorder. I could relate to everything in the book and all the feelings and thoughts she had about herself and the world. It was so inspiring to me to see how she overcame the illness and the truth of what you go through with recovery.

It was so comforting to know there is someone else out there who saw/sees herself the way I do and felt/feels the same about the world and life. I think anyone who has gone through or is struggling with the terrible disease of an eating disorder or self hatred should read this book including loved ones of sufferers as it really pulls you in to the hell someone feels and faces when going through it.
It is written with such honesty all the thoughts and feelings that sufferers think anf feel but rarely vocalise. It is quite triggering as it does go through the foods she ate, the weights she got to and the amount and type of exercise she did but if your in a safe enough place to be able to cope with that I think you will get alot out of this book.

I feel I know Portia so well after reading it and it leaves you feeling like you wish she was your friend and wanting to know her personally and how she is doing today. Its so sad that alot of people who suffer and go through eating disorders or who have so much self hatred are normally the most caring,loving and insightful people there are out there.
on 26 February 2011
I don't really write reviews online as I often think that I would really have much to say other than a sentence or two, but I feel that others (like myself) may judge this book if they aren't into biographies, particularly biographies of 'celebrities' and not your stereotypical stars (like Marilyn and co). I knew of and liked Portia through Arrested Development but never thought that she'd done enough to merit an autobiography before this.

I bought this book for my sister and only picked it up after it was left lying around in the house. Engaging from the beginning, this book is intelligently and thoughtfully written. It doesn't feel as formulaic as the standard autobiography format, and the inserted photographs only serve to emphasize Portia's mental and physical decline as her dramatic health problems are listed beside studio photographs. The story is also told in the less standard childhood/fame route. Instead Portia seamlessly interweaves recollections from her childhood and links them with the trials she faced as a grown woman. She discusses her crippling obsession with calorie counting (and her food binges), her confusion about her sexuality (not about being straight but about how to be gay) and the pressures she felt from a young age about her image and her self-worth. The story is told with such honesty and insight that I couldn't help but feel touched when she finally reached a state of self-acceptance, and it has allowed me to be angry (again) about the mass media approach towards beauty and feminism. A starkly honest story which deserves to be read. This is a beautiful book and I plan to buy my own copy, treasure it, and if I ever have a daughter, I will ask her to read it. This book is an education in self-esteem, eating disorders, and happiness. I can't recommend it enough.
on 1 February 2011
I picked up this book being curious about Portia de Rossi of ALly McBeal fame. What I found was someone totally misunderstood who what nearly the opposite of what she portrayed on the outside. Having no experience of eating disorders personally, I found her story honest, un-prettified and eye opening. That she was in such a state physically and that yet in her hollywood world it passed as normal is beyond me. It is an enlightening read.
on 9 January 2011
It took me quite a while to sit down and write a review for this, simply because I struggled to find the words to accurately describe how incredible this book is.

Portia de Rossi's first book is eloquently written, phenomenally brave and astoundingly truthful. I did not put it down once while reading it. I was unprepared for Portia's complete and utter honesty throughout, she doesn't hide any detail she deems significant to her journey, relaying all her experienced emotions no matter how illogical or crazy they may seem. This book really helps you to understand the mentality behind eating disorders, in a way I didn't expect, and I am in utter awe of Portia after finishing this. She is a brave woman, with an unbelievable inner strength to get through all that she has, and I imagine this book will help many people.

I honestly cannot reccomend this highly enough!
on 8 July 2012
I chose to read this book, as I am a gay woman who struggled with self esteem issues and developed my own set of behaviours hide the truth. I thought that the reason I wasn't obsessed with dieting was because I was gay. I found that a lot of straight women were focussed on their weight and by me not doing so was a signal to others that I was gay. Therefore, I pretended to be conscious of my weight to fit in.
Regardless of whether you have experienced issues with your weight, I think this is a poignant review of a persons struggle with self esteem and identity. Her honesty, is healing, not only for Portia, but for any reader.

This book, at times, made me feel scared, sad and uncomfortable but most importantly brought my thoughts to addressing my own unhealthy couping mechanisms and found inspiration from Portia's truth, and commitment to living life as her true self.

A must read...
on 27 July 2012
I was never a fan of Portia de Rossi so bought this book purely based on it being an account of a persons struggle with anorexia and coming out. It is a beautifully written book in which I completely empathised with Portia and her struggles.
I have never had an eating disorder and had no idea about the thought process a person with one posesses, it seems scary and very concerning.
I think that I will no doubt read this book many times again and now consider it one of my fave books of all time, It has also given me an interest in Portia, Thank goodness for you tube :-).
truely a heart wrenching story and inspirational.
on 22 April 2012
Amazing!!!!!!

Beautifully written, emotionally intelligent; raw, romantic and real.

It doesn't matter whether you have ever suffered with an eating disorder; simply if you have ever struggled to accept yourself in any way, have ever believed others would not accept you, ever felt that you had to hide parts of yourself to be loved, then read this. Fat or thin, gay or straight this is great book.

In 1997 I was 19 years old and coming out, as a result of her honest bravery, simply saying, "this is who i am " Ellen changed the world for people like me.

Portia continues to change the world!