The one thing letting this feature-packed heart monitor down is its instruction booklet, which makes it hard to understand how to programme it for use.

The watch itself looks and feels good quality and reminds me a lot of an old Nike sports watch I once had. It tells the time and date and features a light, stopwatch and countdown timer. All off these are easy enough to navigate and use - its the main function that is a bit annoying.

The heart rate monitor does works and that too has some nifty features, like and optimum heart rate zone, which you can personalise to suit yourself. Work out your perfect zone for burning calories (this is easy enough to do using your age and a simple equation given to you in the instruction booklet) and you can enter it into the watch... This is where things get a bit tricky.

The instruction to do this are terrible; with things in an illogical order and ill thought out instructions. It makes it a real chore. However, keep at it and your will eventually get your head round it.

One you have your optimum heart rate zone entered, you can then set the watch up to beep when you exceed or drop below you ideal heart rate, thus ensuring an efficient workout.

It also tells you the percentage of your maximum workout rate too, so you'll know just how hard your pushing yourself. The chest strap works well, transmitting data to the watch, but it can start to slip down your chest a bit when you get sweaty and you're moving about.

Overtall, I'm happy with the device. It does what's asked of it, it's just it was about 5 or 6 workouts before I figured it all out... I think I've got it now, but I'm not 100% sure I'd be able to set it up again when the batteries run out, so I won't be throwing away the instructions - even though they are very poorly written.
66 comments|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 March 2012
Simple to setup and use, this heart rate monitor does exactly what it's supposed to. The instruction manual is clearly written and easy to follow. The chest strap fits well and is comfortable to wear; most importantly you can easily replace its battery (some of the more expensive brands require you to buy an entire new strap when the battery runs out, which is an absolutely ridiculous concept).

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it's also compatible with gym equipment (at least with Technogym machines, anyway). I jumped on the treadmill and it picked up the signal from the chest strap straight away.

Why waste your money on anything else?
on 26 February 2012
There are a few things you will need to read in the instructions - for example how to set the date / time and access the different modes but once you've done that this is a very simple piece of kit.

The elastic strap goes horizontally across the solar plexis or breast bone I think, with the reader in the middle - not on the left.

Put it into heart mode, click again for it to start reading, and off you go. The strap is not uncomfortable to run in, but keep it reasonably tight to stay in place - especially if you are thin - not like me!

There are so many uses for this device. Firstly it shows how high your hear goes if you go out running from 'cold'. I went up to 210bpm, but once I was warmed up it went down, first to 180 then 160. Next time I'll take it more gently to start. It's also good to get you moving. When I rested between running spells, I used 110bpm to start running again.

Also you can take off the watch and attach it to your bike or device in the gym eg rowing. The watch is waterproof.
22 comments|47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 June 2014
I ordered this as I wanted to see how my heart rate picked up during exercise. And it does just that.

Please be aware this really is a no frills heart rate monitor. It will track your heart rate and time from when started but does not save the information so unless you are able to take note whilst using it then this will do but if you want to refer back to your maximum and average heart rate then this is not the monitor to go for.

You can enter your date of birth and set the monitor for max & min heart rate based on your age and if set up correctly it will beep when below or above these rates - you can also set manual rates should you have info from docs or personal trainer for instance.

Instructions are a bit lax but have a good read through and eventually it can be figured out.

Like I said for a cheap monitor it's fantastic but it is basic.
on 9 September 2012
I wanted a heart rate monitor and to not spend too much. This item almost does all that I could ask for the price.

I found it quite easy to set up and, whilst the instructions are in a very small font, if you can read them they are easy to follow.

The one thing I would have liked but would have had to go out of the price bracket to get would have been a way of downloading the results to a PC or similar. The one change I would have wanted that I think could have been done without increasing the price is to toggle between the heart rate display and the stopwatch display.

I would have liked to have done this whilst running but you can only toggle between the heart display and the clock time display. So if I'm running with both stopwatch arnd HR on I have to go through four steps between the two, not something I want to do whilst moving. Hence only four stars.
on 10 August 2012
I decided to buy a cheap monitor when my third (in about 30 years which cost £70.00 in 1991) died and would have cost more than this one to fix. I am old now and don't need high performance monitors so decided this would do and I am absolutely delighted with it.
Contrary to many reviews I found the instructions extremely easy to follow and clear as long as you read them and do exactly what it says! Possibly if you have never had a monitor before it is confusing until you get your head round the various screens and certainly the print is small - par for the course with kit like this I am afraid.
It has all the average person needs and more. Heart rate, percentage of maximum heart rate and the facility to fix a different max rate if you need it for health or training reasons. Easy to use stopwatch and count down timer are both useful. Guess the only thing it doesn't have is calories burned - which I didn't need anyhow.
For those who find the instructions difficult the following might help:
Remember the watch is a mini computer so the principles are much the same.....think of it as a filing cabinet with each function a separate 'drawer'
from your main screen (time) you access each function (drawer) by pressing the bottom left button (mode)
Once in a drawer (function) you access all the individual files (different parts of the function) mainly by using the right hand buttons (u) (d). These buttons where you need to go up and down perform that function but they also do other things. The get out of jail free card is the bottom left button which takes you back to the main screen ( drawers) - press it a couple of times and you will get back to the main (time) screen and can start again if you have become confused and lost your place somewhere along he way.
Example: wearing chest strap and watch (d) gets you to screen with heart and dots then (u) then gets you to screen where your own heart rate and % is shown. I stay in this screen while training so I can keep an eye on the fluctuations of my heart rate - get familiar with this first then when you are comfortable with it you can start moving into the screens where you can use the stop watch etc
on 4 March 2012
Originally purchased a more expensive heart rate monitor (not from Amazon) as it advertised the ability to display heart rate as a percentage of max. However it did not have this feature really, so product was returned and I decided to buy a cheaper product which has the same features. The Ultrasport had good reviews and the same features as the more expensive product but was less than half the price!
The watch is good quality and looks good. Heart rate is picked up quickly and accurately, and most impressively actually displays hear rate as a percent of max!
Very impressed with the product, especially at the price. Highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon 4 January 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got this watch to time exercise and particularly to monitor heart rate during exercise. It has been very successful in achieving this. The elasticated chest strap is sufficiently stretchy to fit effectively on a range of chest sizes and is easy to put on although the fixing points can slip out rather too easily particularly when putting on. The watch picks up the heart rate reading fairly easily and calculated (from your date of birth which you have to insert) a maximum heart rate. This is useful for getting your heart rate up to a reasonable level and keeping there for a preset time. The watch will even let you know when you hit your maximum so you can always work within safe limits.
The watch is quite stylish and has all the usual functions which are straight forward and easy to use.
I would definitely recommend this product for someone wanting to take aerobic exercise but who was concerned to ensure they don't overdo (or underdo) it.
on 22 March 2013
I bought this because i had never used one before even though i have been training for over 20 years. I find it very easy to use and accurate. It picks up my heart rate very quickly, there has only been 2 occasions when it didn't but just making my chest damp and the back of the sensor this cured the issue. Great bit of kit, i would definitely recommend.
on 16 August 2015
Great product, great price and does the job.
I bought this after the Polar one I had packed up. When I saw the price I was a little dubious at what I would get. Very glad to say I need not have worried. I am very pleased with my purchase.
Having had 2 Heart Attacks it is important that I wear a Heart Monitor when I exercise as I must keep within strict guidelines. This does exactly what I need it to do. I am partially sighted and although I would prefer the digits a little larger I can still read them.(Although to be honest it is easy to confuse the 1 and the 7 unless you are careful). .
I have been using it for a few weeks now and I have found it to be as accurate and as reliable as my Polar watch was but a lot easier to set up and much cheaper to maintain as I can change the battery myself and don't have to pay exorbitant costs sending it back to the manufacturer..
I am very happy with my purchase and recommend it. You won't get anything better for this price.