Format: Audio Download|Change
Price:£10.67

on 4 October 2014
Colleen Hoover is the master of tears.

She knows it. She rocks it. I would walk a million miles for one of Miles' smiles.

One criticism I hate the UK cover. The US one is so much better. So my review - brain = liquid. Heart = butter.

Miles, heartbroken, damaged, beautiful, fascinating, sexy, not had sex in 6 years. Those all just became my new favourite words, too. Believe and me and when and I and tell and you and I'm and ready. How could Tate not fall for him?

Don't ask about the past. Don't expect a future. Guess what, I 'm a reader and I neeeeeeeed to know. Like I need my next breath.

She sucks you in. Gets you so invested in the story that you will beg on your knees for more; even though you know it will be ugly.

I can't compare this to Hopeless because it would be like saying I love one child more than another. I love both equally.

I read UL in paperback and had to put paper in my favourite parts (I do not do book abuse).

Cap is a genius! Love isn't always pretty Tate. Sometimes you spend all your time hoping it'll eventually be something different. Something better. Then, before you know it, you're back to square one, and you lost your heart somewhere along the way.

Anyway, I put lots of bits of paper to mark my favourite bits but there are too many to mention.

I loved this book. I want to give Colleen a big smushy hug. She gave me Holder, she gave me Ridge, she gave me Miles. Loved it. Je suis en France maintenant, et danque il faux que je dis j'aime Colleen. Vraiment. Absolument, plus fort!
on 2 February 2015
Originally posted @ [...]

I think I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m not wholly compatible with Colleen Hoover’s writing style. And I feel ok admitting that.

There are some stylistic things that I always pick up on. For instance, there seems to be a tendency to repeat words within the same actions/sentences and it always sticks out to me. It jars me out of the story and ruins the mood.

That said, I always enjoy the story itself, whichever title that may be. She has a brilliant way of building tension and hitting the reader with conflict and action. I admire that very much.

So, Ugly Love, what worked for me?

Miles – I like his character. Yeah, sometimes he’s a bit of a prat, and I think he should seriously count his chickens (is that the right phrase?) that Tate is with him, but I like him. A lot.

Cap – Old Cap. I love him. I want a book about the story he tells Tate. I would swoon for Cap. Heh heh.

General story – It had real pace and I was easily sucked in. I couldn’t not keep reading.

What didn’t work for me?

Tate – Needs a backbone. I think because she is so aware of the situation, it makes it harder for me to dismiss her acceptance of it. She willingly goes along with the crock of bulls*** she’s being fed from Miles. I think he should have been made to work for it more. I didn’t have the same issues that I’ve seen others have, I mean, she does know what she’s letting herself in for. I think my problem was that surely, surely, a girl like her would come to her senses quicker.

We’re going flying, babe – The pilot thing just wasn’t working for me. To be fair, it wasn’t really a thing for me until the end. The end was cringy for me. I dunno. It just felt like it was creeping into Mills and Boon territory.

Tate – Again. LOL! I wanted her to really take charge of him. He did a great job on her (oh how hard this is to describe this without getting x-rated) but I wanted her to take care of him… Take control… Just… Yeah. If you’ve read this book, you know what I mean, right? :s

__

There were some really lovely scenes in this book. Some parts were so cute! And others were freakin’ hawt! But there were also some aspects that just weren’t working for me. It was a good read. Easy to get into, easy to keep on with. Can’t complain too much really. Fans of Hoover will love it. For sure.

An easy 3 out of 5.
"The second she opened her eyes and looked at me, I knew. She was either going to be the death of me. . . . or she was going to be the one who finally brought me back to life."

I have read all but one of Colleen Hoover’s books (Maybe Someday is next on the list) and I have yet to be disappointed. Ugly Love for me was “Classic Colleen”. It highlights a heartbreaking tragedy and you live it along with the characters. I can’t recommend this book enough and for all diehard Colleen fans you are going to love it undoubtedly.

Tate is starting a fresh by moving in with her brother. Her first hurdle upon her arrival is the drunken guy passed out at her new door. Luckily, he isn’t a creepy stranger but in fact Tate’s brother, Corbin’s best friend called Miles. From the outset, we know Miles has a deep-rooted secret that affects him so badly, Tate knows better than to get involved but the undeniable attraction between them makes ignoring Miles all that much harder.

"He leads. I let him. Because he's a solid and I'm a liquid, and right now, I'm just his wake."

The story was told in the form of past and present. Tate’s point of view told the present day, her new life and job, living with Corbin and of course, the obsession she was growing with Miles. The past was told in Miles’ point of view and that covered only his time six years ago and what happened to him. I must say it was hard at first to read Miles’ past, I’m a stickler for third party involvement and it was hard to read about Miles and his relationship with someone else whilst simultaneously reading about his budding relationship with Tate in the present. Without a doubt, I had trust in Colleen Hoover and I knew there was a reason behind it. We had to live through Miles’ past in order to understand why he couldn’t offer Tate any more than a ‘friends with benefits’ relationship.

"He wants me for sex. I kind of miss sex. It's been a while. I know I'm definitely attracted to him and can't think of anyone else in my life I'd rather have casual, meaningless sex with than my airline pilot, laundry-folding neighbour."

Miles’ chapters were shorter and they always ended on a mini cliffhanger so I will hold my hands up and admit I may have started reading a few of the even numbered chapters first, then would skip back and catch up on Tate’s. This did earn me many red angry face emoji’s from my friend whilst I was reading (sorry Kat) but I couldn’t help it, the suspense was killing me and I had to know what happened that wrecked Miles’ life completely. It’s a Colleen Hoover book so of course the big event was a doozy and there wasn’t a dry eye to be seen. Colleen creates magic with her words and I felt every single emotion whilst reading this book. I had to pause through the tears and remind myself Tate and Miles are in fact, not real, but when you’re sucked into this world it’s easier said than done.

I liked both Miles and Tate as characters. You could say Tate was a fool for agreeing to her arrangement with Miles, as it was clear from the outside it would never just stay as sex with no feelings but Tate was well aware of this and didn't have the power to keep her heart from falling.

"As much as I know I'm too far gone to continue treating this as casual sex, I'm also too far gone to stop it. I'm terrified to lose him for good, so I sell myself short and take what I can from him, even though I know I deserve better."

Miles spent more and more time with Tate, yes, he was perhaps leading her on but he couldn’t not be with her, it was his own crippling guilt that wouldn’t allow him to admit he felt something more for her.

"I know I'll regret saying this, but I want you to hear it" He pulls back just enough for his lips to meet my hair, then grips me tightly again. "If I were capable of loving someone. . . it would be you."

"Whoever coined the phrase, I love you to death obviously never experienced the kind of love Tate and I share.
If that where the case, the phrase would be I love you to life.
Because that's exactly what Tate did.
She loved me back to life."

I adored Ugly Love, only Colleen Hoover can take a ‘friends with benefits’ storyline and escalate it to the next level. There was so much emotion and depth to this story that I loved every minute. I even locked myself in a hut at a family barbecue to finish it, I was that engrossed!

"It's the beautiful moments like these that make up for the ugly love."

Colleen Hoover’s writing goes above and beyond the norm. Even the layout and use of space added to the story, something I would have never even considered. To me that is a sign of genius and I am a complete Colleen Hoover fan girl for life. I can literally not wait to read our next offering.

If you have never picked up a Colleen Hoover book, (have you been living on the moon?) then Ugly Love is a great place to start and if you are a diehard fan, this beautiful, heartbreaking story will cement your love for one of the best writers out there. ~Ava

*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.*
on 28 June 2015
I absolutely love Ugly Love, ive read it a few times now and will prob re read it again and again.
It follows the story of Tate who moves in with her very over protective Pilot brother Corbin. On her arrival she meets Miles Archer who is also a pilot, who is passed out drunk at the front door.
Miles has a pretty awful past that we glimpses of in his POV.
The only thing i didnt like and will never agree with is how tate so easily agreed to casual sex with miles then constantly belittles herself and lets miles use her, i kept thinking that Tate needed to grow a back bone and tell him she didnt want to keep hurting herself, but she keeps going back. Things do work out in the end in the typical HEA but there is lots of hurting before they get there.
This book will always be one of my favs :-) and i hear there will be a film aswell :-)
on 1 March 2016
Wow what a great book by Colleen Hoover. I must admit I heard the song of the book prior to reading the story and was desperate to know the outcome. And boy was I not expecting that.

We get to read both POV's that span on a 6 year period. In order for the reader to understand the reasons behind one of the leads behaviour we must go back in time and read about his past.
Once I started the book I just couldn't put it down. The connection between the leads is undeniably strong and both create sparks every time they are together, if only it was that simple.

Tate is a beautiful girl who's just moved in with her brother in order to finish his nursing MD. She is very grounded and so far has had a normal upbringing. When she arrives to her brother's flat never in a million years was she expecting to find a drunken guy spread out in front of her door.
Miles is gorgeous. He is also a pilot like Tate's brother. He's been carrying a dark cloud for 6 years. His smile never reaches his eyes and for whatever reason he's is incapable of loving and being loved. He never expected to find himself inside his friend's apartment after his drunken night, and he can't help but stare at the girl sleeping. Memories of the night before are fuzzy but he feels something towards Tate.

As the two of them start interacting they can't deny the connection. However in order to be together they will have to embark on an unusual agreement. No strings, just sex. Miles has two rules; Never ask about his past and do not expect a future.

A story full of raw emotion and the power of love, a total page turner! One of Colleen's best reads.

5 FLYING STARS. Isalovesbooks
It wasn't until the end of the book but yes, CoHo touched me with this book once again. It started out all innocently enough, Tate and Miles meet and they are immediately attracted to each other. She agrees to have no strings attached sex only and abides by his 2 rules: don’t ask about the past and don’t expect a future. Tate agreed to his rules, even though she knew she would be having a hard time separating sex from love. She hoped, deep down, that maybe Miles would come around for wanting something more. Their relationship becomes more and more complicated as time goes by because Tate falls hard and fast for closed off Miles, and he occasionally lets his mask slip. Intermittent with present day events we see snaps of an 18-year old Miles Archer, at the moment he meets his first love, and how he is falling hard for her. Through its progression we learn why he is the way he is.

At first I found the dialogues and thoughts with his first love just ‘too much’ love.. but as this all builds up throughout the book and gets better and better instead of worse, I was desperate to know how in the world this great love could fall into pieces and explain how Miles is the way he is, not willing to love someone anymore. I thought it impossible and hate to admit it but I had a constricted throat in the end too, just like everybody else. And Tate, she's just so likeable to me. OK, the number of hot scenes might have been reduced for me but this doesn’t take away the slow but ultimately perfect build-up that leaves you with a shredded heart. I understand what it is, Ugly Love, now.
If you liked reading my honest opinion, please give me a vote so I can get closer to the top reviewers. Thank you.
on 28 December 2015
This was a beautifully written poignant, heart-wrenching love story that really tugged at my heart strings.

I'm almost ashamed to admit that this is my first Colleen Hoover read. I've heard so much about this author's books and she's been on my TBR list since forever. When I spotted this book on sale on Amazon a few days ago I grabbed a copy and I'm so glad I did. Now I understand the hype, and I totally get it.

I ADORED the writing. Gosh, I was highlighting so much I just gave up in the end. May as well just highlight the entire book. Lol.

The best part of this book was the skillful way the author elicited emotion from the reader. I felt EVERYTHING alongside Miles and Tate. All the pain and the heartache and the hurt. I cried and I laughed and I cringed.

Miles was in so much pain that it was difficult to read at times. I knew his treatment of Tate came from the issues in his past, but he was really horrible to her at times, and it was challenging not to scream at Tate to walk away, because he trampled all over her. However, she was tenacious and determined to cling onto her hope that he would come through and realize what they had.

I liked the way this book was written in dual perspective, switching from present to past. It didn't take much to figure out what had happened six years ago so I can't say it was a major shocker, but it was very emotional all the same. I enjoyed getting Mile's current perspective at the end.

I loved how protective Corbin was of Tate though it was a little OTT at times. My favorite secondary character, without a shadow of a doubt, was Cap. He was awesome and so full of wisdom. He always knew the right thing to say, the right way to act.

I had a few minor issues with this book, but not enough to merit a mention or a reduced rating.

All in all, this was a really great read and I look forward to checking out more of this authors work.

This review will be posted to my blog in due course: My YA NA Book Obsession

Some favorite quotes:

"That's how it is when a person develops an attraction toward someone. He's nowhere, then suddenly he's everywhere, whether you want him to be or not."

"His lips against mine feel like everything. Like living and dying and being reborn.."

"I'm not Tate when I'm near Miles. I'm liquid, and liquid doesn't know how to be firm or stand up for itself. Liquid flows. That's all I want to do with Miles. Flow."

"I don't know if I can do this, Miles. I don't know if I can follow rule number two, because I suddenly want to climb into your future more than I want to climb into the backseat."
on 12 June 2015
I was curious enough to download this book after watching the teaser trailer starring Nick Bateman as Miles Archer. It left me SO conflicted. Part of me wanted to love it and another part of me wanted to tear it to shreds. I finished it yesterday and I'm still torn over how I feel about it. If I read it with my heart I think I'd love it, but I couldn't leave my head at the door and that pulled me in a different direction.

I'd never read any of Hoover's books before, so the writing style was a complete surprise to me. I'm going to put my hand up to the fact that I'd assumed she was like dozens of other writers in this field, but I was pleasantly surprised. Her writing is both lyrical and conceptual and I really loved that about it. I loved the way she plays with ideas of liquid and solid and describes the irresistible draw between two people who are that attracted to each other. It seduced my brain in ways it hasn't been since I last read something by Tiffany Reisz.

I loved Tate as a lead character. Despite her helplessness in the face of her feelings, she's strong and vibrant and sassy in a lot of ways. She's no vapid doormat. She knows her mind and she's okay with who she is, despite her moments of vulnerability. I liked that she could see Miles' behaviour as unfair and she even mentions red flags a couple of times in the book and that gives her extra credit as far as I'm concerned. I was emotionally engaged with her and rooting for her. Her internal turmoil is both painful and realistic and absorbing. I liked that she didn't judge anyone (except Dillon, who totally deserved it) and her friendship with Cap is one of the best threads throughout the story.

The cast of supporting characters are also really good. Dillon is superbly and shamelessly creepy. Corbin is a typical big brother and his character rings as truly authentic. I know this because my brother was exactly the same and I didn't date for 9 years. 9 YEARS. Thanks Stuart. Really. Thanks. *facepalm*. That blend of unfair dictation and love is realistic and it was great. Cap is also brilliant - I love his lame jokes and the wisdom he imparts. I'm still laughing over the interrupting cow joke.

This is erotica and while the sex scenes are really well written, they're not so hot and steamy that you get flustered reading them. In a weird way, that's one of the strengths of this book. Because they're not so captivating, they're not the whole focus of the plot. The emotion is. It's a fine line to walk and I think Hoover captures that balance brilliantly.

I think what caused the conflict for me was Miles Archer, the main male character. The way he was written, I really wanted to like him. He's obviously damaged and Hoover didn't go anywhere near that hideous trope of abuse being disguised as love. She wrote him really well. He doesn't claim it's love, he doesn't hide what he is and he makes no excuses for it. He's up front and honest about what he feels he's capable of giving and even when he acts in an unpleasant way, they both knew it was coming. That's where the emotional turmoil is so great - Tate can't help feeling let down but she knows it's because she set herself up for it by wanting what he promised he couldn't give. The problem I have with him is that I didn't buy his reason for being the way that he is. I get that his back story was traumatic but I just didn't feel like it translated into his current mindset.

If I can't buy his damaged back story, then it means that he's just acting like a dick in the present.

And that's where I'm conflicted. Because I really wanted to like him. I felt for him. I wanted him to change, to open his heart, to let it go. I felt sad for him because of his past and the story in the present is so well written that I wanted to give it my whole hearted approval. There was just something missing for me.

I'll maybe feel differently in a few days, I don't know. On the plus side, I'll go and see the film and I'm definitely going to download other books by this author because I have a feeling she could be a new favourite.

Would I recommend it to other readers? Yes, I would. Especially if you read erotica anyway. It's a fresh look at a genre that sorely needs it.
on 30 March 2015
I have been meaning to read this book for... forever. I've seen people rave about it both online and in person. They have laughed, cried, and pimped it out like crazy. It wasn't until a friend gave me a copy of the book when she realised she had 2 copies, that I dove in. It took me a matter of about five hours to read the book in it's entirety.

Tate - I loved her. She was no nonsense and cared for people. Maybe she cared too much, but that's the way she is. I adored the interaction she has with Cap. Their unlikely friendship was the humour needed to lighten the heartache and angst of the rest of the story, and it never once felt fake or forced. Hoover writes very natural dialogue which shows especially between these two.

Miles - I have to admit, for the first half of the books, I hated to love him. Yes, he was gorgeous and stuff, but let's be real. He was an ass to Tate. Yes, he never lied to her and was always honest about how he felt about their relationship from the moment it began, but I still wanted to punch him now and then. The flashbacks are heartbreaking, simply because you as the reader knows something bad is going to happen. It has to be something bad to make Miles the way he is - and these are the main reason I kept reading, I needed to know what was happening in his head and whether Tate would help him through his issues.

While the ending is a little predictable, the journey on which Hoover takes the reader to get there is wonderful, and to me that is important. Yes, we may well be able to guess how a book is going to end, but if we are still compelled to turn the page to see how the characters get there, surely that author has done their job well, right? (Oooh, I may put a post about this on my author blog)

I've only read one book by Hoover before this, and that was a novella. I love her easy style of writing, and can see how she has become so popular in what some see as a short space of time (three years isn't in the grand scheme of things, but she's also not an overnight success). It's easy to become addicted to her books, and if I'm not careful, I will splurge all the monies on them!
on 27 February 2015
What's most interesting about this book is that it's written in both the past and the present. The present is narrated by Tate, and so we see Miles from her perspective and are just as puzzled as she is by his abrasive attitude. It is only in the chapters from the past Miles's voice takes the lead and, gradually, we see the terrible events of his past that led him to become the person he did.

It's a wonderfully effective technique. Admittedly, I found the first few chapters from Miles's perspective jarring. There were written in an almost sporadic poetry style and I was far more interested in the present and in Tate's story. The relationship between her and Miles was so intense and fascinating that I wanted to focus on that.

But the more Miles's story unfolded, the more engrossed I became in his past. I wanted to know about what drove him to make the choices he did and spurred his determination to keep Tate at a distance.

Miles's story really did show the ugly side of love. Both in his all-consuming and co-dependent relationship with his past girlfriend and the tragedy that sent his life into a tailspin

Miles and Tate's relationship is about an undeniable chemistry. For something meant to be based purely on sex, there is an intoxicating and profound quality to their interactions. They don't just long for each other, but they truly transform when they're together into two people who can forget the world and become the new versions of themselves.

Not to mention that the heat between them set the pages alight. Colleen Hoover deserves an award for managing to be amazingly steamy, without being smutty. She showed fiercely passionate sex scenes, while at the same time slowly building a tender and romantic relationship between the characters. It was incredibly well done.

The only downside to this book was the ending. It felt a little too happy, after everything that happened. As though the author was desperate to create the best ending imaginable. For me, it had the opposite effect and made the characters I grew to love fall flat. I would've preferred something a little more open-ended and hopeful, rather than something which flat-out told me exactly where the characters ended up and put a little bow on it.

Aside from that, this an addictive and raw story of first love, true love, and loving yourself. It managed to be a sexy romance, while also dealing with hard and gritty issues. I laughed, I cried, and I felt a whirlwind of different emotions as I flicked from one page to the next. This was intoxicating and definitely didn't shy away from the uglier side of love.

Favourite quote “Some people grow wiser as they grow older. Unfortunately, most people just grow older."

For this and more reviews made of awesome, visit Little Birdie Books: www.littlebirdiebooks.uk