Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

I bought one of these for a friend who had a damaged 3.5mm jack on their laptop and was unable to connect their external speakers. As they use their laptop to hook up to a TV to watch DVD's and films (this is the primary use of the notebook) they were stuck with the weedy onboard speakers and the usual bad sound quality.

The device is very simple, plug it into a USB port, Windows 7 sees the device instantly and that's it you get a microphone and headphone jack, there are no drivers needed to install. Output quality is quite reasonable for such a low cost device, build is best described as passable at best (light plastic case, could be better here, it's not going to take a beating) You can adjust some settings via the control panel, though don't expect the tweaking of a high cost dedicated USB sound card.

Considering the low cost, and ease of use this is a pretty good purchase if you need an inexpensive way to get sound from a computer via a USB port. Don't buy it though expecting superior sound quality, it's ok but it won't give better sound quality than the one on board it's just a convenient way to hook up sound if you want to use the USB port.
on 30 September 2010
I've bought many varieties of these since my jack port on my laptop was destroyed. On top of this, the laptop speakers went as well. As a result I have bought 8 different versions of this product over the months. this is the only one that has given me good sound quality, allowed me to change the volume (the others were permanently stuck on full volume playing no matter what i did with my laptop)and also which hasn't broken within a few weeks.

the best you're going to find.
on 11 October 2010
i was a bit sceptical after my last budget sound card adaptor split into a dozen pieces after first use. however for the price this a cheap and efficient option. i did have to sellotape the two plastic shell together, glue would be better. the case clips together but comes apart pretty easy, not rocket science.

the good news. this product works fine on my vista system, no driver cd or internet downloads needed; all my several headphones and speakers work well; this may suit those on a budget but loses a star due to higher end cards having better sound quality such as creatives go or play at £35 with better software and sound enhancement.

you cant go wrong for a quick fix option but be warned. sellotape costs extra !!
on 1 October 2010
The item was accurately described and allows you to plug in headphones (or active speakers) if you find your normal sound card imput is not functioning properly ( perhaps as a result of an operating system upgrade). There's a microphone imput, too. This neat gadget was a fraction of the price of similar spec items on sale in high street retailers. Highly recommended.
on 11 January 2011
I bought this adapter to add audio output to our Synology DS110j NAS device (which can play audio content through some USB speakers and audio adapters). The Synology support wiki seemed to suggest that this kind of cheap, "Bondi blue" USB audio dongle should work fine.

Unfortunately, it appears that these adapters sometimes contain different chipsets, which is important for users of Linux-based devices (like our Synology) to be aware of. This particular adapter contains a Tenx chipset (USB ID 1130:f211, in case that helps), which at time of writing has poor Linux support. It "works", but the default output is at a very high level, which distorts the sound to the point where it is basically unlistenable.

To date, I have not found a way to reduce the "master" output level from this adapter, on either the DS110j or my Linux netbook (though I am still researching this). The software mixers in both of these, only raise/lower the already distorted "post"-output.

In summary: if you are looking for a USB audio adapter to use on a Linux-based machine, I would avoid this one and look for another. Just do your homework pretty thoroughly before you buy, as I now wish I had.
on 26 January 2011
The headphone socket on my laptop broke which left my laptop thinking it still had headphones plugged in and me with no sound, so i bought this product because it was windows 7 compatable and a cheap option. I plugged it in and my pc recognized it straight away, installed the driver and was ready to use pretty much straight away. Audio levels could be set via the pc and had decent sound quality. The major drawback is that the product is a little too delicate, the casing came apart easily (snaps back together, glue would make it more sturdy) and the usb connection and soldering only took the slightest knock to seperate it. I would recommend this product for a quick, cheap and easy fix, but and this is a big but.. you need to treat this as if it is made of the finest china, and as an option if its unlikely to be moved or knocked in any way, otherwise you will be left with no sound and a broken useless plug in. I want to give this product more stars because it does exactly what it says and at a good price , but it has a major flaw in the casing which lets it down

My advice, carefully split and glue the casing for a happier experience..
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 November 2014
big delivery window
delivered in a poly bag - not even a jiffy
normally I try to correlate price with the product and this was only £1.09 BUT it is made according to the price - The cap relies on two little dots to form the snap shut and retain in place process but one of the m it smoothed off? so the cap wont stay on - not the end of the world but irritating
given it is not the most robust little item the packaging was ramping up the risks somewhat.
Yes it works but it is not a confidence builder. AND for double the money you can get something as well built or better which caters for several types of memory card.
I suppose to be fair I was going to give it 3 stars but the price is exceptional and if all you want is a micro sd interface then this is fine - just don't be too heavy handed with it.
ACID TEST: would I buy again - I think I'd get a multi reader for a little bit more
on 19 July 2012
I ordered this product slightly sceptical due to the 'not great' star rating. But to be completely honest, it's turned out just fine, and works perfectly! So, why not 5 stars I hear you cry!?

Well, when I plugged it into my laptop at first (A Dell n5010 (Windows 7, 64 bit, 6GB RAM)), it didn't recognise the device. I'd had this problem before with other things, and thus knew what to do; turn off the computer and remove the battery and power supply, and leave to stand for a few minutes. So, after doing this, I turned the computer back on, plugged the device back in, and Bob's your uncle, it worked. I don't know whether this was a fault with the device, or my laptop, but I knocked off a star just in case.

Until this day I'm really glad I paid the £2 (which let's face it, is nothing really in today's money), as my audio jack now ceases to work - this does the just the same job! :D
on 17 April 2012
We bought this so we could cue up a track via headphones to mix into another track playing through the laptop speakers for our Hercules MP3 DJ set. Despite trying all sorts of settings on the built in soundcard it didin't work. No real loss for the price apart from being back to square one and not knowing which soundcard we need without getting one which again is incompatable and incurring more costs. We will probably find some use for it. No issues with the seller or packaging though it arrived promptly.

Any suggestions welcome if you know which soundcard we need!
on 28 February 2015
Be careful not to choose another colour option, it changes the product from a USB soundcard to a USB card reader! Delivery took an absolute age, still waiting on the black one I purchased in error. Sound is really awful, wasn't expecting much but it has gone straight into the bin. Crackles, pops and is massively too loud. Even when reducing every possible level the sound output is set too high rendering it completely useless