on 3 December 2011
Firstly let me start by saying that there's been a lot of complaining about this Mac title so I was a little hesitant about taking the plunge.
Problem?
Well for some its the DRM that makes to be attached to the internet for as long as you play. What this actually means is very simply you create an account with ubisoft who then 'lock' your account with the right to play the game from any computer (once you log in that is). This means that you dont need to run the DVD ROM but need to stay on the internet to be allowed to play. i have found NO PROBLEM with this. Even when i close the MBP lid for a break and return to the game the link is re-established without having to restart the game. (you do get a pause until it does relink).

The other problem people have encountered is the need for a powerful Mac to play it natively and that the game won't run on a mac laptop. It is true that you need a powerful Mac but it is UNTRUE that you can't play it on a laptop.
I am playing this on an early 2011 MacBook Pro 15" Quadcore 2GHz / 8GB RAM / 256MB AMD Radeon HD 6490M.
It plays superbly on medium settings but for smoothness i did have to change to resolution to lower setting.

I have tried it on the Intel HD Graphics 3000 and it will run but you will have to knock down ALL the settings to low and use the lowest resolution and even with that it might stutter a bit.

I have actually got used to playing the game using the MBP keyboard and trackpad and i have found it plays fantastic. Just re-map the keys (as im left handed my right hand use the cursor keys to control Ezio) and you ar away. You can also add a mouse and change the settings to include 2,3,4 or 5 buttoned mouse.

If you have a mac with a dedicated graphic of 256MB or more then it should run fine for you - with a 1GB graphic card it will fly.
Brilliant game - buy it.
on 23 January 2012
YOU NEED AN INTERNET CONNECTION TO PLAY. EVERY TIME YOU WANT TO PLAY.

Just the above should be enough for everyone to boycott Ubisoft and any game that uses this pig-headed method of copy protection, which DOES NOT WORK to protect anything. The Mac version was available online cracked within a few weeks of its release.

You can avoid the internet connection requirement by using a little program called AC 2 Cracked Launcher (Mac), to be found on the internet. This is not illegal if you have already bought the game.

HOWEVER, this game is just not worth playing on the Mac, because of lack of gamepad support> even external USB keyboard/mouse support is buggy.

This Mac version is a frigging joke.

NO XBOX360 controller support. I have tried everything, including Gamepad Companion which works on everything else... The game seem to have some buggy USB drivers.

CRAP EXTERNAL USB KEYBOARD SUPPORT and USB mouse support : both flakey, connection often drops and you have to quit and re-launch the game . The game seems unable to let you use both the laptop keyboard and an external keyboard at the same time.

Which is irrelevant anyway, as THIS GAME IS NOT PLAYABLE with a mouse and keyboard. If you go ahead and buy this, when you get to the part when you have to chase some thief through the city you will remember these words.

The interface and controls are terrible , very hard to get used to, too many buttons, no visual feedback on which actual key to press for the multitude of actions you can perform.

This Mac version is just buggy and hastily put together to sell.

The game blows in so many ways... cut scenes that cannot be skipped, with out-of-sync voices, dialogues that cannot be exited... Another case of "great graphics, but I can't be bothered with this..."
on 8 January 2011
Ahh I love this game so much, HOWEVER, I have not yet had the opportunity to play it! I can tell you it's an excellent game because I had it on my PC and I had completed it and done everything. Yet still, I cannot play on my Macbook Pro. The installation process went fine, and the actual game itself is genuine. The one problem is with Ubisoft and their DRM [need of an internet connection at all times]. I try to open the game and it tries to connect to the Ubisoft Master Server, but it fails every time. It says that it could not find an internet connection and so it automatically quits; but I do have an internet connection at all times! It's ridiculous. I've researched for hours online and could not find a solution to this, all I could find was people slagging off Ubisoft for their DRM, but then there are a lot of people who have had this problem and eventually it starts working, or people who HAVE had it working since day 1.

Like I said, the game is great (known from past experience), but it's up to you to take a risk and see if yours will work and connect, or whether yours will install fine and then not start. *cry.
on 24 February 2014
Having read good reviews, with high hopes I was looking for a game that would replace WoW I had been playing for years. But this one is no match even for the Secret of Monkey Island. I started playing, then kept losing interest, until I turned it off after 2 hours and will not return. The plot is remotely involving, dialogues dull, saves too infrequent. Writing this review was more fun than playing this game.

The game was unstable on my Mac (graphics glitches, and random keyboard malfunctions).It also does not support a gaming mouse with more than 5 buttons;

My overall experience: anyone want to buy it back for 99p?
on 16 February 2015
I tried to play it on my MacBook Pro 2012 mid summer but the game wouldn't even start up. It says (altough i do have an internet connection (non-stop Wi-Fi)) that it cannot connect with some Ubisoft server. All I got was a simply message with this error and 2 buttons : Start Game (which doesn't work) or cancel (which is faded out and can't be pressed). I really don't know what is the main issue of this game, couldn't find on the Internet.
on 30 December 2013
Disappointing. I do not know whether it is because I bought the Mac version, but if this game is meant to entertain it is a complete failure. Both my son (9 years old) and me (+40) couldn't be bothered. I love historical games but books are much more fascinating than this game.

The thrill apparently is you get to kill others after some time travelling. But that's about it. Boring.
on 28 December 2010
Although my macbook pro is 2.4 ghz with 2 gb ram, the game works good with some bugs sometimes. Anyway, the game is excellent, we can play even if we have to wait sometimes.
on 7 April 2014
The game's great but so hard to play with out the use of a game pad! I would, however, recommend this to friends who are more game/computer savvy than my self.
on 31 March 2011
The enjoyment I had with this game could compare with Zelda on the Wii. I've played through the game in 3 days. Fun fun fun! Highly recommended.
on 10 July 2011
Huge, open free world and a rather accurate depiction of Rome as a city as well. Lots of great fun.