Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 11 March 2014
I can't really say anything more than I really enjoyed this read, and would congratulate the author on the way he handled such a sensitive subject and told the stories of two seperate families intertwining the past with the present. The time span of the story goes from the beginnings of the First World War and ends in the 1950s, so there's alot to cover. Well done, and most definatley recommended.
on 25 October 2014
An excellent insight into a family dealing with their own loss as they encounter a family in the same situation but from the other side. This is a very engaging story with rich characterisation, a roller coaster of emotions and excellent period detail. It also positions and highlights the importance of the work of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission to those who lost loved ones in WW1 and how this was dealt with from a German perspective.
on 9 March 2015
This book really made me think about what we might call, the then enemy of Great Britain. It is the story of how two families on opposing sides dealt with loss of their beloved sons and who met at one of their visits to Flanders, where both sons had been killed at the battle of Passchendaele. It does make you think, that all these young men on both sides had a loving family back home who worried.
on 26 February 2014
This is a very enjoyable read, with a lot of humour, along with the real serious questions that must be asked in a book which follows the families of two sons of war. Dialogue is used extensively and very effectively to place the reader in amongst the characters, and the interplay between them surely reminds us all of our own friends and acquaintances. One hundred years on this is a very relevant book for young and old. Read it. You will giggle and cry, and be glad you did!!
on 7 April 2014
Once I got use to the writing being in the first person I enjoyed the book.
There is so much information about the first world war including the German war graves.
I also found the family interesting.
on 11 December 2015
A fantastic read. Very poignant for our times too. The writer gives you a real sense of how the events unfold for the two families, without the knowledge of hindsight. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series. In the meantime I will check out the Audiobook version on Audible.
on 26 January 2014
Full of strong emotions,sadness,and humour. A story we can all relate to. Very descriptive and obviously well researched. This is a very different story that looks at both sides of the war.
on 9 July 2014
This book brought a tear to my eye...I don't cry easily.
The father figure of John got under my skin, I've known men like him.
on 23 February 2014
This book is a sensitive reminder of the impact the war had on both sides. A very good read which I highly recommend.
on 18 November 2013
Anyone interested in military history should read this. So true, so true. Can't wait for the follow up book in 2014.