NO SPOILERS or plot summaries. Recommendations included.
HIGH LEVEL: Book 3 of the series that starts with Regina in the Sun (Children of the Goddess). READ THEM IN ORDER as each story builds off of the last. Be prepared: This is a very lusty, sexually explicit para-romance series that features everything from BSDM to threesomes to homoerotic. It is all very well done and will leave you aching. In addition, it's got great story lines and a vivid paranormal world with tons of history. All in all it's pretty intense.
Frankly, it would be a hard thing to top Book 2, Lux in Shadow in any way. Book 3 here manages to ALMOST come close to being as lusty, but not quite. However, I'm very impressed with the story line and plot devices Alexander comes up with. Just when I think we've gotten through all the clever paranormal set up and magical twists, she manages to push the envelope further. This is a very clever story and manages to continue to enrich the world within the series.
The characters are fabulous- both Kit and Jesse are well constructed and have plenty of depth. We get to spend a little time with our past favorites- Regina, Zander, Lux and more and we get a great addition in Kit's cousin Max, who I can't wait to see more of.
BOTTOM LINE: I love this series and when I'm in the mood for something erotic, I know I can count on these books. Great characters, rich magic and seriously hot sex in a pretty package. What's not to love?
RECOMMENDATIONS: (hard to come up with anything that matches this series in terms of both the richness of the stories and the eroticism)
1. Kresley Cole's adventurous and intricate magical romance series (never mind the ridiculous title): A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, Book 1)
2. Alyssa Day's Atlantis Rising (Warriors of Poseidon, Book 1) - less dark, more humor, but still intense. The lonely protectors of the lost city begin to find their mates
3. Jacquelyn Frank's Jacob (The Nightwalkers, Book 1) - demons, were, vamps and other fae finding their better halves in races that should be the enemy
4. Larissa Ione's Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, Book 1) - demon centric romance series that sets up a demon-run hospital under a human city. Not as well written as the others.
5. Alexandra Ivy's When Darkness Comes (Guardians of Eternity, Book 1) - vamp/demon/were romance with loosely connected characters
6. Sherrilyn Kenyon's Fantasy Lover - Dark Hunter series with shifters, vamps and Greek gods. The first book is not as good as the rest- it just gets better and better.
7. Renee Michaels' sexually adventurous, but basic werewolf romance Her Chosen Wolf: The Were Chronicles, Book 1
8. J.R. Ward's Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 1) - also darker, more violent and incredibly intense vampire romance series. Vampires protect the world from evil. Vivid glimpses into the evil perspective as well.
9. Lara Adrian's Kiss of Midnight (The Midnight Breed, Book 1) - also darker, more violent, but incredibly intense. Vampires protect the world from their evil brethren.
10. Gena Showalter's The Darkest Night (Hqn) - sexy, demon-possessed immortals looking for true love in a world of hidden magical creatures.