Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 January 2002
This is the edition if you are new to Shakespeare. It presents the play in an easy to understand way with useful notes and commentary. However it is overtly simplistic and lacks the in depth analysis that this great play deserves.
This is one of Shakespeare's most interesting and entertaining comedies. Enjoy.
on 9 December 2009
The Arkangel Shakespeare recordings vary a lot in quality, and this isn't one of the best...unfortunate, as 'Twelfth Night' is one of Shakespeare's most musical plays both in atmosphere and versification, and really needs to be heard aloud.

Viola is one of my favourite female Shakespeare characters (much more likable than the female characters in 'As You Like It', with which this play is often compared) but here is rendered unsympathetically. Olivia is much better acted, and the actress who plays Olivia should probably have been Viola, while the one who played Maria would have made a better Olivia.

The clown sings well, but his voice is wrong - too educated and frigid to evoke a sense of wry, aching melancholy. Sir Toby Belch is particularly annoying - a cackling idiot rather than the Falstaffian scallywag of old. Malvolio is suitably puritanical, more arrogant than in some other versions. His arrogance does make him comical in the scenes where he 'woos' Olivia, and the cellar scene is definitely funny and vivid.
on 23 September 2014
Just bought this for my daughters A level course. It's perfect for year 12.
on 18 January 2011
These notes are good for GCSE level, but they didn't serve greatly when I used it at A Level. I'd recommend, but only for a more advanced understanding for GCSE.
on 21 April 2016
You know when you read a Shakespeare play and you understand everything that’s happening? Yeah, unfortunately that didn’t happen with this one – oh sure, I understand what the story line was, but I often found it difficult to relate the words that I was reading back to the overarching story line.

Still, it’s Shakespeare, and so you’ve got to read it – I also think that I’d appreciate it more if I got to see a performance of it, because his work needs to be brought to life on stage if you want to get the full experience. I guess I ought to look into that at some point.
on 24 October 2013
I studied this play for my A level English literature exam and whilst it was a hard read it was a brilliant play and u thoroughly enjoyed the plot and comic subplot.
on 23 October 2004
This could have been better but I have high expectancies. Overall this made a lot of vital, relevant points that you couldn't have pointed out if you were feeling a bit brain dead (like I am constantly when writing essays). Nevertheless, I feel there could have been more detail.
The sample essay titles at the back were quite handy, the chapter summaries and analysises were very useful, the little facts at the side about pleasing the examiners and stuff were pretty groovy, and also the tasks really help to revise and improve understanding of the chpaters. If you struggle with Twelfth Night or just want a good notes book about it then get this!
on 18 June 2012
I always buy these books (or the Made Easy version) ahead of seeing the play. Easy way of getting to know the plot.
on 21 November 2011
I was impressed by the whole Kindle experience, but NOT very impressed by the quality of the words in this free edition of 'Twelfth Night':

'O, it came o'er my ear like the sweet sound,'

is how I remembered it, but this Kindle Version has:

'O, it came o'er my ear like the sweet south,'

Not a lot of help, if one is studying the text for an examination. Does Amazon/Kindle have any responsibility for the quality of the Kindle-branded editions they make available?
on 27 February 2014
I love this play, full of humour. Some of it, of course, depends on the acting - so how good are the actors in your head? (The Globe's dvd of their recent all-male production with Mark Rylance provides a good watchable version. I re-run bits of that in my head whilst I'm reading!)