I purchased this head set as a gift for my fiancé for Christmas and he was more than thrilled with this product - as am I.
I did purchase this headset in the knowledge that my fiancé is really into his gaming - and I had read alot of reviews that said wearing these really improves your game - which my fiancé did agree with.
Firsty - we had this headset up and running in a few minutes. They are very quick and easy to set up. You get two cables and a tiny modem - one cable plugs into the back of the tv and the other is a USB connection into the xbox. The modem is powered by the xbox and the headset is powered by two AAA batteries ( which are included - but I suggest you change straight away as they are only demo batteries)
This headset is incredibly easy to use and one of the great things about it is that you can even watch tv etc with them on - they pick up whatever station you are watching which is handy - since I'm a full time student and constantly having to get my fiancé to turn the tv down when I am studying (another plus in purchasing this headset - they cancel out sound from tv - so you get crisp high quality sound of both your game/tv and your friends in chat in the headset) The left earpiece of the headset has all of the controls, the power on/off button , an effects booster button and of course your volume control. Your mic is also attached to this side. The headset comes with another connection wire for connecting the headset to your xbox controller for the purposes of using the chat function - but it is not necessary to have this plugged in at all times unless you are chatting - the headset works independantly without the need to be plugged into the controller.
The sound quality from the headset is incredible - although on the second day of use we were having some wireless issues and we were getting nothing but static in the headset - however this was quickly rectified by a change of battery and check on the connections - and we have not had the same problem since.
* Cancels out sound of tv so I can study and he can game in true 360 fashion - gaming as it should be :)
* Can be used while watching tv
* Easy to set up and operate
* Comfortable to wear
* Battery operated - so probably a good idea to invest in a rechargable battery pack. In saying that we have been using this headset for over a week and the batteries are not low yet despite reading a bunch of reviews that said the pretty much eat up batteries.
* Power on / off button. The headset does not switch off automatically when the xbox / tv is powered off - so it is easy to forget to switch them off - this could be the reason that people are finding their batteries are running out so quickly - but as long as you remember to switch off the headset - you should have very little problems.
I am delighted I purchased this headset from Amazon. Not only did I save at least 20 purchasing through Amazon - but the product arrived very quickly and packaged safely. The Turtle Beach x31's have definatley exceeded my expectations - they are easy to use, comfortable to wear and definatley worth the money for the quality of sound and functionality.