Containing real-life case studies, strategies for identification, and handy hints and tips throughout, this is the authoritative guide to tackling challenging behaviour and working effectively with children, young people and adults with severe learning difficulties (SLD), profound and multiple learning difficulties (PMLD) and autistic spectrum disorders (ASD).
With a unique approach, the author stresses the need to diagnose not only the correct difficulty but the degree of learning difficulty for a lasting resolution, as well as tackling common behavioural problems such as attention seeking and task avoidance.
Chapters are split into three specific areas; SLD, PMLD and ASD/SLD, covering:
- the 'Magnificent Seven' fundamental principles of challenging behaviour
- strategies for correct identification of the main area of learning difficulty
- improving teaching methods and strategies to resolve challenging behaviour, including handy hints and tips when things don’t go to plan
- extensive use of real case studies to illustrate strategies for resolution
- guidance on writing your own Behaviour Management Programme.
With its insistence that real and lasting change is both possible and achievable, this is an essential read for all professionals and parents/carers working with children, young people and adults dealing with the myriad of challenging behaviours.