Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£8.99

on 20 October 2014
I enjoyed this album. There are some great songs on it, Weight of Love, 10 Lovers, Fever... But it's not amazing. They've carried on from El Camino, continuing with the more upbeat, bigger, poppier sound. I'm not a huge fan of the mixing, I have to say. I think it's been over done, and they've lost the natural tones of some of instruments - it all sounds a bit processed. I think Fever would be a good example of this. But it's not the same for all of the songs. One thing that I like is the 'noodly guitar riffs' that have been dismissed as being a bad thing. I think they're pretty good and work well - I am a guitarist though...

Overall, there are some really cool moments in this album, but there are also some that aren't so great. Not the best album they've done, but it's not too bad. Brothers was a great album, but they've come along way and changed a lot since then. I sort of wish that they would return to that sort of sound...
on 23 May 2014
It's a departure to El Camino which is one of my favourite albums, Turn Blue is different but it works. It experiments much more than el Camino and it succeeds. While the album doesn't have as many classics as previous albums, turn blue is the black keys experimenting and innovating with new styles of music which is pulled off brilliantly.

The vinyl version comes complete with a free poster (which I was told also comes with the CD version)and a CD version of the album and if that isn't enough amazon have auto ripped Turn Blue which let me listen to the album before delivery on my iPod.
on 19 September 2014
There are plenty of very knowledgeable music critics who have commented that with their latest album, Turn Blue, The Black Keys have somewhat lost their way; that they have left their gritty blues-rock roots and turned (or evolved) towards a more manufactured sound. This album has been described as ‘grand psychedelia’ and having an ‘epic, languorous style’ and comparisons have been made with Pink Floyd and The Eagles. I think such comments and comparisons are valid. I agree with those who say the album is patchy; that some of the songs are just too over produced and unremarkable to warrant unqualified support. But where this album is good, it is very good indeed. ‘In Time’ and ‘Fever’ are examples but the standout song is the opener ‘Weight of Love’. In my experience, rarely does a song literally stop me in my tracks when I first hear it but this did for me. The opening haunting solo is just captivating.

Even more remarkable is the supporting cinematic video which stars supermodel Lara Stone as the leader of a cult of beautiful women who hang out on a remote beach and in grassy scrubland, live in what appears to be an abandoned house (a lighthouse?) and partake in synchronized group exercises and worship. The video is deliberately ambiguous in what it portrays and I have read many different interpretations. What is not in doubt, and this is very unusual in my view, is that the video actually enhances the song. It is beautifully shot: I love the blue azure skies, the golden brown sunset and the dreamy sequences as the girls look after each other. It transported me away from drudge of modern life of work-eat-sleep for seven minutes at least.

I have been a keen fan of The Black Keys for several years and have seen them rise and rise and I would desperately like to give this album five stars but, as noted above, the album is patchy so with much regret I award it four stars.
Whilst it is good to see that the Black Keys sound continues to evolve, on the evidence of "Turn Blue" the overall quality of the music does not hold a candle to previous outings. Let us be clear this is not a bad album, there are songs like the catchy "Fever" which would easily slot on a Black Keys "Best Of" selection. The brilliant opener "Weight of Love" is mightily impressive and at around 3.15 almost sounds like a Dave Gilmour song, demonstrating that Dan Auerbach has more strings to his bow than the garage blues template of earlier albums. The problem, however, is that the latest musical incarnation of the Black Keys has not quite worked out what type of band it wants to be, as a result many of the other tracks are sub-standard. This is exacerbated by a fatal flaw namely what has happened to the drumming of Patrick Carney? On wonders like "Chulahoma" and "Thickfreakness" he is an anarchic force of nature not afraid to drop the odd note but making up for this with enough passion to power street lamps. Here he is like a million other drummers most awkwardly on the rather over-produced "Year in Review", whilst "Its up to you now" sounds like the percussion track from an Adam Ant track. The link with producer Danger Mouse appears to be suffering from over-familiarity and needs some mature reflection that perhaps it is time for a parting of the ways with a new set of ears sitting at the mixing desk.

The guitar work around "Bullet in the Brain" again sounds like it is out of the Pink Floyd manual but, unfortunately, the lyrics are more drawn from a school poetry book. Much better is "Gotta Get Away" which does have echoes of the Eagles circa "One of these Nights" and is an infectious track demanding a long highway and the music turned "up to 11" on the volume control. This reviewer also greatly enjoyed the heavy psychedelic guitar solo on the solid "In my prime". Unfortunately, these flashes of bright blue musical sky are negated by horrors like the sub-John​ Legend funk of "Waiting on Words"

Ultimately even for more recent converts to the music of the Black Keys it would be difficult to argue honestly that this album surpasses the all round excellence of "El Camino". The band should be applauded for the desire to take a fork in the road and as many of the tracks are radio friendly they can guarantee healthy sales. Yet "Turn Blue" has a hollow ring to it, not least the regrettable absence of the impassioned dynamics and authenticity of their earlier work. This is progress therefore but at a cost.
on 22 November 2014
Not sure who this band is, but it's not the Black Keys that were such a refreshing blast when they started out. Some may view it as a progression, but this change of direction and style does nothing for me. I had to grit my teeth and listen to every track in the hope that the band that made Thickfreakness and the Big Come Up were still in there somewhere...but they weren't. A couple of tracks are OK but could have been recorded by any competent amalgam of session musicians. I see no reason to play it again.
on 13 June 2014
I have been a Black Keys fan for a long time and I thoroughly enjoy how their sound and style has developed. This album has more prominent keyboards and they underpin the riffs beautifully. Drumming is even more powerful than before -, maybe because it's very well recorded: big soundstage, lots of depth The first track reminds me in several parts of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon - how weird is that?

Can't wait for the next step in the Black Keys musical journey
on 21 May 2014
I got into The Black Keys off the back of Attack and Release which I thought was a fantastic album and one I regularly listen to ( and I have over 800 to listen to)
I brought El Camino and was very disappointed with a bog standard rock album that had nothing that stood out from any other wannabe garage rock bands output
I am very please to say that they are back to what I liked about them a bit blues and slightly different and a bit edgy
Another great album
on 10 July 2014
Excellent new release from the black keys. Have all their stuff and the music is definitely moved on with a lot of different sounding tracks. Love the boys and their music. A must see live. Highlights on this are definitely the longest track recorded to date - weight of love, turn blue, bullet in the brain and the good old rock n roll track gotta get away. Fever is another brilliant tune which ticks all the right boxes. Long live Dan and Patrick!
on 24 May 2014
The proof is in the playing and I keep wanting to play this album. It is a more mellow Black Keys but still a class act. I don't purchase much music these days as most albums are only worth streaming but I will carry on buy TBK. I love their early work (Magic Potion is my fave), but am open to new sounds and quality music is quality music, end of. Don't be stuck in a music rut!
on 29 April 2016
Once upon a time, not too long ago, the Black Keys were a great blues-rock act that cranked those amps up; played rocking tunes, and made classy albums like Thickfreakness and Rubber Factory. Then, by the release of their Brothers CD back in 2010, the rot began to set in. No longer rocking out as often as they once did; the Black Keys went all commercial on us and became a boring soft rock act (thou I did like Gold on the Ceiling-that was a cool tune).
Turn Blue; despite the presence of 1 or 2 okay songs; is just full of pop orientated material with too many slow, quieter tunes on it. It's Up To You Now had a nice drum riff in the intro and they should've rocked this one up a bit, but not nearly enough.
Yes; I know amplified guitar music is not currently in vogue right now; and since their change in direction their record sales have soared. I just wish Black Keys would crank those amps up loud again and give us some livelier, harder songs like they used to.