on 22 September 2014
This is a fascinating book, it gives such detailed information on the development and complexities of the Enigma machine that one is very impressed that the British managed to break the coding system. What was also interesting was that the British and French actually used the system successfully themselves to pass information between London and Paris. Turing had a brilliant mind and was treated shamefully; he won the War for us and should have been revered. This book really emphasizes his brilliance and is well worth a read.
on 25 November 2014
This is an excellent introduction to Turing's work and times
But also stands alone well enough for the lay person to get the essence of the times he lived in and shaped. For those wanting more there are excellent references.
on 8 November 2014
A fitting tribute to Alan Turing one of the early pioneers of computing.Found this book informative and interesting read.
on 16 January 2015
This slim volume (124 pages) is well written and contains details of Turing's amazing work before, during and after the war. A sizeable portion of the book gives very clear detailed explanations of the original Enigma machines, their workings and the effects of the various refinements.......and how they were overcome.
on 20 August 2014
Some useful insights and written by someone who understands the intricacies of the subject.
on 2 July 2014
This isn't the first book I've read on the subject, but is, perhaps one of the ones I've enjoyed most. Yes, the discussion on the enigma machines and the difficulties involved in breaking the code do (enjoyably) occupy a large portion of a book, but if one read a biography of an author one would surely expect a considerable portion of it to discuss their writing. (Wouldn't most of us prefer to be remembered for our work than for our personal life?)
I particularly appreciated the point that the author makes about varying attitudes to homosexuality during Turing's lifetime. (Certainly born out by my own contact with members of that generation, and those somewhat younger.) Prejudice and bigotry were not inevitable in any generation, and ..... the next sentence has been written five times and is still too vitriolic for a review.
A good book. I'm going to read the code breaking bit again with my mind in study mode and a note-book to hand.
on 22 February 2015
I thought that this was a really nice little book. It was given to me as a Christmas present and I read it cover to cover. I have been aware of Alan Turing and his work for many years but this puts it all in context, there was clearly a lot I didn't know.

As a bonus, this book also describes in some detail the working principles of the Enigma machine and how Turing and his collogues managed to decrypt the messages generated using it.

Perhaps not everyone's cup of tea but I found it fascinating.
on 23 December 2014
Enjoyed this book even though some of the code breaking facts were way over my head . The facts and descriptions given placed you well into the period and helped you appreciate the genious of the man and the difficulties experienced in Turins life.
on 15 January 2015
Just what I needed. Couldn't cope with the 750 page biography. This gave me all the facts and filled in the gaps left by the film.
on 8 February 2015
I thought this was going to be a biography of Alan Turing. Basically it is a primer about the machines and how the messages were, eventually, successfully decoded.

The copy I have is in font sizes which change mid-page and the concept of 'widows and orphans' has been taken to new depths. Most of what I have bought is blank paper. In Chapter 5, the subheadings are in the middle of one page, with the associated paragraph on the following page. Some chapters start on the left hand leaf following a completely blank page. If this is an example of BookCaps, then they can keep them. I will be returning it for a refund based on the quality and layout of the text and the misleading title.