Customer Discussions > Halo 3 (Xbox 360) forum

Try Call of Duty 4......

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Dec 2007 23:19:22 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Dec 2007 23:27:16 GMT
Reading over the other discussions here will demonstrate that I wasn't impressed by Halo 3 to say the least. It also appears that more recently, there has been a growing community of people who are likewise underwhelmed.

As such, can I suggest an alternative for the FPS fan that demands more!! - Call of Duty 4.

If war games aren't your thing, then leave now. COD4 offers a fantastic single player experience. I really felt like I was Steven Seagal playing this (make of that what you will....!). The sensation of playing an active part in a big-budget blockbuster was intense. You can live out all of those 'black hawk down' moments without looking around to see if the girlfriend has caught you making gunshot sound effects whilst running around the garden! It is a little short, but playing on veteran for the achievements changes that.

Multiplayer is really something else, and shows how limited Halo 3 is. There is a massive amount of game types (16, I think) that offer great diversity. The weapons are meaty and great fun. Perks add a whole new dimension to multiplay experience. Progess through the ranks also unlocks new equipment, and the challenges based around the weapons and game type offer great incentive to play. it says a lot when I'm addicted to a game because of it's in-game challenges, rather than a multiplayer that offers gamerscore achievements, such as Halo 3.

In my opinion, it's hard to see how anyone could be let-down by COD4. Still not convinced, then just rent it first. You're garanteed to at least get some achievements out of it.

A side note: With relation to the whole review situation when Halo 3 was first released (the fact that reviews were not posted until much later after release, and even then negative reviews seemed to take longer). Does one detect a similar sort of situation to the one involving Jeff Gerstmann and the supposed reason for his unexpected firing from Gamespot? i.e. that other publishers have paid to keep negative publicity hushed up during the launch period. The situation with delayed reviews is common accross high profile game releases these days, yet reviews of other types of product are posted almost instantly..... Paranoia? you decide...

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jan 2008 09:49:25 GMT
FoxInLondon says:
COD4 is a pretty solid game. But.... will people still be playing it in 2 years time? Doubtful.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2008 21:39:22 GMT
J. Clarke says:
This feud between Halo and Call of duty is getting old.
Its like the one between Zelda and Final Fantasy, i can see that there is a similar format, but come on enough already! Halo is Alien warfare not modern warfare, BIT OF A DIFFERENCE. I personally dont like either game, i'll stick to the ol brick xbox and do some Lans with mates on classics. And to the "it's hard to see how anyone could be let-down by COD4." its not hard to see, you can see it in me and many other people, but then again you cant be let down if you never liked it :)

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2008 08:49:45 GMT
daniel says:
I like them both, but for me, Halo 3 is the much better game overall.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jul 2008 14:09:29 BDT
You are a fanboy moron. COD 4 is great, but it's not the end of all shooters!

People have a right to an opinion. I love COD, but I love Halo that little bit more.

Not liking Halo doesn't make you cool. You think it does, you love the attention, but you aren't some kind of Bolshevik. You are a guy who can't take it when not everyone in the world likes the game you like.

Grow. Up.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Aug 2008 13:16:31 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 16 Sep 2008 11:33:04 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2009 22:34:53 BDT
What a hilarious comment.

Completely moronic things to say but whatever!

Anyway, COD is my favourite game series of all time, i used to love medal of honor till COD came out, if you like war games and FPS then COD is the game for you. But if you like aliens, cheesy storylines, and unrealistic physics, graphics, and gameplay then feel free to try Halo 3! At least the online game play isn't all bad ey!

Ps. No people won't be playing COD4 in two years time becuse they'll be playing COD: MW2 and COD: WAW2 and all the other more recent COD games. The only reason they'll still be playing halo 3 is because there won't be any more. Hopefully ODST will be a good enough game to entertain the hardcore fans and keep the halo ball rolling though!

Posted on 7 Jun 2009 23:31:43 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Jun 2009 23:35:05 BDT
N. Hall says:
Discussions of 'realism' in regards to CoD are moot. It's not realistic. It's just geared towards that particular gritty aesthetic and feel.

I prefer Halo, both in campaign and multi, because it is far more dynamic, and consequently relies less on scripted events or situations that are determined as soon as they arise. Contrast this to Halo's open ended gunplay, in both single and multi, and I find CoD leaves me cold, given I am either being funelled through a very obviously rigged set of boxes, or playing a multi where I lack the sheer range of tactical options (not to mention game options) of Halo.

To note that Halo's multi is limited to CoD's is hilarious, especially given that you mention '16 gametypes', which are essentially 6/7 gametypes, just with different sized teams/solo play/lack of HuD etc. Halo has 6/7 core gametypes, but then customisable options to create permutations far beyond what comes in the box - as does CoD4, albeit they are never integrated into matchmaking. As for the actual gunplay, the movement in Halo, added to the map design and vehicles, means the actual act of playing becomes far more than CoD's, in contrast, restricted, slow and limited shoot out.

But, horses for courses. CoD is of course great fun.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jul 2009 08:40:23 BDT
Rory Green says:
'COD4 is a pretty solid game. But.... will people still be playing it in 2 years time? Doubtful.'
The online community for Call of Duty 4 is huge. Nearly 2 years have gone and loads of people still play. It is still one of the most played on Xbox Live. I have a feeling that after christmas there will be less people playing because of CoD: Modern Warfare 2.

Posted on 10 Mar 2010 02:06:07 GMT
nicola says:
richard bridge

i loved your review, i did chuckle!
and i 100% agree. ive completed cod4 and still play the missions over and over because i cant get enough of them!.. great game and always will be.. nothing much compares to cod4 or mw2... and im a real gamer.. love love and love cod4
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Halo 3 (Xbox 360) forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  6 Dec 2007
Latest post:  10 Mar 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Halo 3 (Xbox 360)
Halo 3 (Xbox 360) by Microsoft (Xbox 360)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (365)