Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

In The Know, October 22, 2013

This review is from: Trivia Quiz & Pub Quiz Book: InQUIZitive (Vol I) (Kindle Edition)
One of the first mentions of the word 'trivia' was used to describe a place where three roads met in Rome.

"In the 1960s, nostalgic college students and others began to informally trade questions and answers about the popular culture of their youth. The first known documented labeling of this casual parlor game as "Trivia" was in a Columbia Daily Spectator column published on February 5, 1965." Wiki

Summit Dharma has put together an entire book filled with trivia questions and in the following chapter, the answers. There are five trivia questions in each chapter and a total of 100 in all. Our culture is filled with trivia in our everyday experiences. This book gives us an explanation of an event, and with the clues, we then try to come up with the answer. It took me awhile to get into the swing of the questions, and then how to take the clues and reveal the answer. Some I did not know, but as I kept on with the trivia, I realized I was able to more quickly figure out the answers. This kept my mind very active. As an avid 'Words With Friends' player, this added trivia game is a real plus.

I use the e-book, and I can quickly find the place where I stopped and move on. This trivia quiz book becomes addicting!

Recommended. prisrob 10-22-13
on 31 January 2014
As usual I didn't pay anything for this book. It showed up in my email unasked for directly from the author. It has been my experience that this is a VERY bad sign for most books but in this case I was very pleasantly surprised.

In general I'm not a fan of trivia books because they're just disconnected random facts that don't really have any cohesion and don't build on each other well. I just can't stuff all that randomness into my head and expect it to stay put. This trivia book is not one of those. Instead of "Who won the British Open in 1989?" each question is a story and the question is often along the lines of "who is this story about" or "how is this person better known". It appeals because it puts the unknown bits out first and when you find the answer the reaction is usually, "OH! THAT guy!"

The only constructive point I might make is that the book does tend to use up a lot of space repeating the question. The format of each section is 5 questions laid out like:

Question Section

Answer 2

Question 3
Answer 3
etc...

Also, some of the questions are a bit long so if you are trying to read these aloud to a crowd it might be hard for everyone to follow the whole question.

In summary, immensely educational and entertaining. Best concept in a trivia book I've ever seen. This author has got it completely right. Extremely impressed. Best book that ever just randomly showed up in my mailbox.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 17 February 2014
Note: The Author provided me with a copy of their book (in pdf form) for review (Volume I & II combined). No attempt was made to influence my review in any way.

I've read a few quiz books and some of them can be a little tedious putting it mildly. It's not hard to scour around and find facts and questions. The real skill is being able to make unusual and interesting questions that hold and engage people (the person asking the questions and those listening!).

Sumit has done a fine job here with some very well written, and appealing questions that are sure to test a variety of skills across quite a broad spectrum of subjects (from science, to films, music, general knowledge) The author shows skill in his wording and manages to make a very good read (even if you're not holding a quiz)

Probably one of the best quiz books I've read, that's no mean feat as there are a lot of them around. Highly recommended for all would be quiz masters out there, or even as a Sunday afternoon distraction for the family.

Excellent...
Great, I was really chuffed when I got the second question in this comprehensive Quiz book right, I went down hill after that.

What do you get? a booked packed with questions from easy to difficult, answers are found at the back of the book so you can cheat if you want to.

I like a quiz and this delivered a great big helping, lot of knowledge that I didn't have.

This will be great at Christmas, as a family we always have a bit of a quiz on boxing day, its become a tradition, I'll find some great questions to fox them with this.

I can also see this being a good addition for those that run Pub quizzes and also for those who enjoy attending pub quizzes.

Great well researched Quiz book.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 August 2013
"Fun quizzes for the entire family" seems like a strange tagline for this little book. Certainly some of the question touch on subjects which aren't age-appropriate for pre-teens.

The book is organised into twenty chapters, each chapter posing five questions for a total of 100 questions. That may not seem like a lot, but these questions, and most of the answers, go into more detail than you'll find in a typical trivia book. I'm somewhat reminded of Justin Pollard's "The Interesting Bits", which isn't a quiz book but a trove of lesser known historical characters and incidents.

I received my copy of the book free from the author and he tells me that profits will be donated to Wikipedia, which actually provided a lot of the background material for the questions. And there's nothing wrong with that. Questions are first posed in groups of five and then re-printed this time with the answers in sequence. It's a good system and makes for clarity, though it does pad the already quite light content somewhat.

Frankly I abandoned all pretence of answering any of the questions but I still found it a surprisingly compelling, if short, read. I think with a bit of work the book could have been fleshed out into something a little more interesting and as an actual quiz book it's miles out of my league and probably fit to test even the most finely honed of Pub Quiz stalwarts. At the current price I'd have preferred to see more content, and some fuller answers to some of the questions.

3.5 out of 5.
on 8 January 2013
An excellent and breezy read. You do not need to be a trivia expert to enjoy this. The questions span a range of topics and are sure to interest everyone. Your only regret might be that you finished the book and it has left you wanting for more! I hope the authors release part 2 soon.
on 24 June 2015
Very wordy long questions, not suitable for creating a pub quiz with. Might be fun if you can't stand the company of your family and friends and want a quiz that might last seven or eight hours.
on 5 January 2015
Excellent book that will give me the edge in Pub quizzes. Highly recommended.
on 8 January 2013
A really nice quiz question collection. The questions are very well selected and supported by excellently researched answers. This will keep the kids very happy on evenings or indeed can be brought out at dinner parties too. The questions are asked in such a way that the answer has some logic to it ie/ you need not necessarily know the answer but you can have a decent crack at it by using some reasonable assumptions. Recommended !
on 18 November 2014