on 20 July 2003
This is a very good read. It's fast, real, and soul searching. It is a personal adventure that keeps you turning the pages. It has humour and is a sharing that only truly great writers can accomplish. I have not been on a bike in years but think this book would be as appealing to non bikers as it is to bikers. Where is the sequel?
on 30 March 2008
Robbie Marshall is a hero, a man who took his lifestyle and shook it upside down, jumped on a bike and took off. He has inspired people off all ages, sex,and circumstances to think is this it,my life. He shares his innermost thoughts and describes all the emotions he goes through as he travels the world. Excellant read, if you thought "the long way down" was adventure then think again,this book is the real deal. I dont even ride a motorbike and I am now inspired to do so by reading this book.
on 12 January 2002
Robbie Marshall 'Triumph Around the World'
I quite enjoyed this travelogue. Being a biker I've often dreamt of doing what Robbie Marshall has done; giving up a job, kitting out the bike and then off I go. I've often thought that it would be a good way to write a travel book; as events reveal themselves to you, you write them down in prosaic terms. However, because travelling around the globe is bound to involve many encounters, towns, animals and adventures one could fill several tomes.
Robbie Marshall seems to have done the opposite with 'Triumph Around the World'. Its seems a condensed book, packed with his travel encounters without dwelling on them too long, passing on quickly to the next person, city, even country. I'm sure this would be attractive to some readers but I prefer the drawn out descriptions, Ted Simon's motorcycling odyssey 'Jupiter's Travels' in particular is an excellent example of this genre.
Still, apart from the format, this book is a good, fun read. Alright, its not Thubron or Theroux in its level of vividness and profound observances, but I enjoyed the visits to each country, the meetings with the locals; those who helped him along with food and fuel, pulling him out of a ditch, shooting him through the helmet etc. I didn't enjoy the constant pining, though, for his partner back in blighty.
I'd recommend this book if you want a pragmatic adventure but I also think anybody who goes around the world in this way deserves to have their book read as a reward...
on 5 March 2008
Robbie decides before the start of the journey to do it without maps,he is just going to head out in the general direction, which usually seems to be south. This way of doing things has a lot to commend it, instead of sticking to deadlines he is constantly throwing himself at the mercy of world and hoping things will turn out all right. This in marked contrast to the well planned and resourced "Long way Round/Down" series. As a result of this a lot happens to Robbie. I particularly like the bits at the start of the journey in America where he covers long distances and appears totally miserable. These solitary journeys are harder than they first appear. His decision to get tooled up and carry a gun across dozens of borders (without coming a cropper) had me apoplectic, but it shows that anyone can make this kind of journey and survive. He has nine lives and uses about five of them up in the book.
on 2 November 2005
I have to say I enjoyed this book tremendously. I actually read the book a few years ago now but I was talking to someone about Ewan McGregors recent trip and it struck me how something that on the surface was a similar trip could be so poles apart (excuse the pun). With Mr McGregor it was all GPS and support trucks done with full financial backing done , presumably, between film projects. Robbie, on the other hand did it all himself, bought a bike, jacked his job in and went a did something he needed to do for himself. I didnt mind his longing for home and his partner..it seemed from the heart..it showed a human, vunerable side that gets glossed over in some many bravado pumped books of this type. The book is written in a fast paced, honest and straightforward narrative that doesnt get bogged down in unnecessary detail and its a book that a non motorcyclist could read and enjoy. Above all its a story about having the guts to realise a dream...warts and all.
I met Robbie once..at the NEC bike show when he was promoting his book after returning from his trip. He really was 9 and half stone ringing wet and his choice of bike, a big heavy Triumph really wasnt the ideal machine to use for the trip. It makes his accomplishment the more remarkable.
Unfortunately Robbie isnt with us anymore, and the world is a poorer place for the loss of characters like him.
RIP Robbie
on 29 January 2012
I bought this book for my husband who Is a keen biker and he said It was one of the best books he has read!If you love bike's you will love this book!If you hunger for adventure and lack the Inspiration to get up and go again this book Is for you, one man's journey to triumph around the world! do yourself a favour and lose yourself In the pages of this book, buy It you won't regret It.
on 20 May 2011
I loved this book even though I am not into bikes, just travel, but I know that biker people would like it just for that side of it. I lost my first copy so have bought the new edition with 'added bits'. Luckily I also found some YouTube clips of the film that accompanies the book. Very brave, and very entertaining. Thank you.
on 11 October 2006
I owned a Triumph Trophy, and despite being bigger and heavier than Robbie Marshall describes himself, I couldn't contemplate this journey on that bike. Marshall's enthusiasm for the trip has made me start planning a more modest journey, with a more suitable machine. I can't rate this book too highly for having motivated me like that.
on 5 February 2015