on 25 October 2009
I never borrow books from the library as I hate giving them back. For some reason I borrowed this one and have had to go a buy a copy anyway as it is so good, everyone should have one.

I want to know why this book isn't on the reading book for all medical students. Every GP practice should have a copy and every practice nurse who talks about getting your cholesterol down, lowering your blood pressure, cutting out fat and and salt should be made to read this book. I found it completely fascinating, I turned every page as if I was reading a thriller, horrified by the findings Groves was listing from really powerful research. The thing is, and what is most frightening, he talks common sense throughout, but as far as I can tell nobody is listening.

We are being manipulated by the health industry, food industry, pharmaceutical industry and any other organisation who can make money out of us, to ruin our health.

Read this book and be amazed at what is being 'done' to us! I loved every single page!!! It is also written in a way that makes it really easy to read.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 16 February 2011
There are plenty of people who have written more about the book than I could say, but I will say a little.

I was born with Candida and first started showing the symptoms at 8. At 17, I had an entire diet-gut breakdown and have been on a selective diet for the last 8-9 years. I was always interested in nutrition and thought that I tried to cope with my Candida as best I could. When I developed RSI from all the typing I do in the NHS, I got fed up and asked for a biological answer from my sister, a nutritionist, who had spent years studying this subject material.

We realised my RSI, like arthritis, was caused by the undigested starches filtering into the bloodstream through a leaky gut wall. Reduce the starches, bump up the probiotics, boost digestion with fat, heal the gut wall and increase rate of absorption.

This book has changed my life and my perception of what constitutes a healthy diet. I recommend it to everyone.
on 21 June 2011
This book is very addictive and hard to put down once you start reading it. I actually bought it as a birthday present for a friend, but found it so readable that I kept it and bought her something else. It's very thought provoking and gets you questioning everything you'd previously been told about what's good for you. My most memorable bit so far is about how death rates fall when doctors go on strike, the point being that sometimes the treatment is worse for you than the actual illness. Well worth buying.
on 7 February 2009
Doctor Barry Groves has come up with another hard-hitting winner here. He demolishes a lot of the myths about "healthy eating" and much of what many of us have taken for granted for many years about living healthily .

It is perfectly compatible with his previous work ("Natural Health and Weight Loss", but, perhaps out of a justified sense of urgency, he "takes the gloves off" to some extent, telling it like it is.

And no wonder. The mainstream diet and health "gurus" bleat on about the "mystery" of the obesity epidemic. There is no mystery. Because of the misguided attack on saturated fats / animal fats that started during the last quarter (or so) of the 20th century, it was dogmatically decided that a "healthy diet" had to be low in fat, and rich in carbohydrates, and "healthy" fibre. Surprise, surprise, obesity rates went up, cancer rates went up, and type 2 Diabetes became an epidemic. The "healthy diet" was successful, but the patients were, and are, dying.

Barry uncovers all this and much more. If you read this book, you should also read Gary Taubes, and if you have already read Gary Taubes, you should read this.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 10 February 2010
I have had this book for just over a week and it is an extremely interesting read with just one or two bits that require a second read to comprehend. Overall it continues to produce 'light bulb' moments in each chapter. As a retired lady who has been dieting for over 40 years with little success and feeling nutritionally deprived and hungry for the best part of those years I see how I have been led up the garden path with incorrect advice given by medical professionals. I have always been anti medication where possible and fell out with my doctor recently as she was insistent that I took statins for a cholesterol level of 5.5 which I did not think necessary and believed that I was being coerced for reasons of 'targets' in the practice. After one visit when I felt I was being bullied I changed GPs. As previous reviewers stated I think this book should be compulsory reading for all doctors and I most certainly believe that the pharmaceutical companies are in the business of putting profit before health.

The theory that animal fats are not evil and are in fact essential to good health makes perfect sense and is enlightening but after 40 years of living as fat free as possible (and still being morbidly obese) it will take a while to get my head round actually eating cream and butter.

I have ordered Barry's book 'Eat fat get thin' and hope that the menu plans can start to undo all the years of bad advice and perhaps a thinner lady will emerge.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 4 November 2008
Not just a book on what to eat. Its much broader than that encompassing a run down on why the new low fat diet is in fact so bad for us and explains how the Health Industry, in the interests of profits, is so keen to push this diet and moreover ensure we stay ill.
on 6 May 2009
This book is not just a stunning expose of the corruption that bedevils the food industry, the drug industry and Governments, but a sound guide to healthy living.

But do not expect the obvious, and certainly none of the dangerously misguided dogma of those in power.

His 26 years of full time research into health research is compressed into this amazing book. He takes no credit in his writing style for what he offers - he is giving without indulgence. But there is more of value to your life in this book than would normally be found in ten books.

Read this book. I implore you.

I have ordered 4 copies for friends and family.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Barry Groves' "Trick and Treat" through acute observation,analysis and a breadth of research exposes the myths and dangers of conventional wisdom, or usually misinformation, in the frightening world of food and medicine.

Although it is a thorough analysis the book is not dull. It shows how doctors, politicians and ultimately we the consumers have been systematically tricked to serve the greed of multinational companies. We have been hoodwinked into bad eating sold as good and given expensive and harmful medicine which will often lead to lifetime addiction and/or irreparable damage. Thus the ever growing profits of the industries are guaranteed.

It should be compulsory reading for doctors who have practiced for more than five years and for all those with political and other decision making status in our health service.

After reading it I have felt compelled to buy copies for friends and family.

Trick and Treat: How Healthy Eating is Making Us Ill
on 1 February 2009
This weighty tome of a book (428 pages) is a well researched work on so-called 'healthy eating'.

The author Barry Groves (researcher and lecturer) comes from England, and looks in detail at the role of fats, grains, bran, meat, salt, vegetables and fruit and even sunlight in the British diet - and the marketing thereof, and draws some startling conclusions. He asks (and answers) such questions as:
Who benefits from persuading us that we should eat more fruit?
More grain?
Skimmed milk?
And who benefits financially from our currently overweight and over-ill nation?

For example, he states that -
"The mantra that everyone will know is 'eat five portions of fruit and veg a day.' Yet there is little evidence of benefit over about two portions a week: and eating as much as five a day could have serious adverse effects on health. Growing them is also a wasteful use of land."
These are powerful words, but Mr Groves backs up his claims with plenty of research and evidence: 53 pages of references at the back of the book.

Mr Groves has also researched connections between diet and conditions such as diabetes, cancer and multiple sclerosis, that are hard to argue with. It makes for difficult reading at times.

Mr Groves also says "The good news is that you don't have to be exploited. If you put your mind to it, not only can you be totally healthy, you can personally help to cut the cost of ill-health in this country to a fraction of its current levels. If you are not ill, they can't sell you expensive drugs. And once that happens, your taxes can be reduced..."

Mr Groves looks to the natural order of foods and nature herself to consider a truly healthy diet, and what that might look like. Some might say it's common sense, but it's good to read well researched facts to back up those nagging doubts that many of us have been harbouring for many years.

This could be the start of a food revolution...
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have just written a review for The Diet Delusion by Gary Taubes because it has helped me more than doctors, and any other of the hundreds of books on nutrition and dieting I have read over the last several decades, and I mentioned this book so I felt it needed a review from me as well.

I think The Diet Delusion is, for me, a superior book as it gives information that completely turned me around, about how the body uses the fuels we ingest in excellent detail. However saying that I am very happy that I have bought Trick and Treat as well. It is also packed with information and well worth buying. Having two such educational books each confirming the other has enabled me to feel more than happy with changing completely my diet, from either dieting using a vegetarian viewpoint, alternated with much longer periods of force feeding myself rubbish carbohydrates to the total exclusion of good food and of course suffering all the problems of doing that such as weight gain, thoughts of nothing but cakes, biscuits, sweets etc.,dreadful cravings just the same as cravings for cigarettes [gave that up years ago thank goodness],much trouble sleeping, lack of energy and motivation etc.

Since I did a complete turn around as far as which food I eat I am feeling so much better. No more cravings, no more thoughts of food apart from when I am hungry. I am feeling better than when I eat vegetarian when on a diet. I have much more energy, and am even sleeping better. I am more than happy to walk past the cakes etc. in the supermarket without another thought. I feel as if I have finally found the answer. I absolutely love the food I eat, but when I feel I have had enough I can stop and leave food on my plate which is amazing. In other words I feel like a normal person. I had always known that processed carbs was my problem as I never got cravings for meat or fruit or vegetables, but could never find a permenant solution. I would never even entertain the idea of eating meat, fish or plenty of animal fat, as I had so totally absorbed the idea that that food would give me a heart attack etc. These books have changed me totally.

If you have the same problems as me buy the book and change your life from day one.