Size: 169mm x 108mm x 25mm|Change

on 30 September 2012
Superb bit of kit for the price paid - sounds better than several more expensive radios I own or have had in the past.
Seems quite sensitive as it picked up lots of stations when used in the wilds of Northumberland where my car radio could detect very little.
on 13 October 2012
The Trevi 741 is a great little radio, i bought it purely for it's SW capabilities and i am astounded by it's performance both as a SWL receiver and as
a general radio, the sound quality is good and it is a joy to use on FM and AM

i have mine connected to a long wire SW aerial and have found myself using it instead of my main SW receiver, it's sensitivity to even weak SW signals
is more than enough to bring in distant stations

if you want an inexpensive radio to listen to music etc but with the ability to have a listen around the SW band's then this one is ideal.
on 13 February 2012
I considered a large number of shortwave radios &, after much deliberation, the choice came down to the high priced & the low priced ones. (In this particular market, the middle range seemed to offer the worst of both worlds!)

I decided that I wanted access to shortwave but was not so much into the idea that I needed to buy a fancy SW radio at the higher end of the price range. This radio has 10 SW bands (+ MW & FM) & that should be enough enough for anyone, like me, with a basic curiosity about SW.

The radio has a very solid feel about it & has a decent speaker & so the sound is, for a radio of this size, loud, clear & generally pretty good. It is helped by a full range tone control - i.e. not just a hi/lo switch.

The tuning is manual & there are no presets but the display is clear & the controls are all very easy to use.

There is a Distance/ Local switch on the side of the radio which helps to boost either a distant or local signal on SW or FM when two or more stations bleed into one. This feature is absent on more expensive radios of this type but is definitely useful. (For me, it seems to work best when tracking local stations on FM.)

The overall design of the radio is good with almost a classic look to it. There is a carry strap & a flap at the back which can be opened to allow you to put the radio on a surface at an angle of about 30 degrees. There is even a small timeline world map printed on the back which shows you the detailed time deviation of regions from GMT.

There is an headphone socket which can be useful when tuning in low volume level SW stations in particular.

The radio has a 6v DC socket & an external aerial socket. (Neither a mains adaptor nor an external aerial is supplied but that could not be expected at the price of the item.)

Although solid in feel, the radio is quite slim & could be slightly wobbly on a surface that is not completely flat - especially with the (long) aerial raised.

A backlight could have been a nice feature & there is no LW but these are not complaints as neither features are essential to me.

All in all, this radio represents fantastic value - so good, in fact, I felt compelled to write a review!

The item arrived within 48 hours of ordering on FREE standard delivery.

What's not to like?
33 comments|74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 February 2014
Currently living in rural Ireland i've had issues with all my previous radios, battery and mains powered, getting anything like a clear and consistent reception. Ordered this as the reviews had been good - but wasn;t expecting much of an improvement to be honest.

Well i was wrong - from batteries - either standard duaracell or good (2900 mAh rechargeables) this performs better than all my other options and my expectations.

However, when i tried it witht the mains power supply it was bundled with - the interference made MW reception unobtainable - tho the other bandwidths were unaffected by this. So if using mainly for MW as i plan on doing - get some high mAh rechargeable AA's and thee should be very happy with this!
on 22 November 2011
I like this radio because it is so easy to use. As a present for my dad, I thought I would be having to teach him how to use it, however he was able to do it himself. The traditional design is much nicer than alot of other radios on the market that tend to look cheap and tacky. The antenna extends very high so it is easy to pick up signals anywhere. I'm very pleased.
on 30 January 2012
I purchased this radio as a gift for my Mother who is travelling overseas so she can listen to the BBC World Service. For the price I thought it represented good value. When it arrived it was nicely packaged, it looked very well made and upon testing it I found it to be working perfectly. I am unlikely to find out how durable it is as she will probably give the radio away before returning home.
on 5 August 2013
"This shortwave radio is wonderful in many ways. It is sturdy,well made and very easy to use. It arrived well packaged and in 2 working days. Within minutes I was listening to Radio China and Radio Romania ( both in English ) with the help of "shortwaveschedule.com or "dxzone.com" which tells you what stations are on now and what frequencies,languages etc. All in all well worth the money 5 Stars "
on 16 September 2012
Perfect for what short wave is. It is no DAB reception and you will be emotionally destroyed if that is what you want from a short wave radio! If you have never owned a SW radio and want one to find out what radio stations you can pick up round the world, this is a wonderful entry level radio, at a fantastic price. Listening to stations round the world can become quite a hobby. As for the radio itself, it is just small enough to hold and on cold nights take to bed to fiddle about! You never know what you will find. It is also light enough to take on holiday so you can listen to BBC World Service if you are feeling homesick. Really nice and can be fun.
on 6 May 2015
I had bought the radio (Trevi MB 729 'compact') primarily to begin listening to shortwave radio - and it worked fine the first time I used it (and it could also tune FM/MW stations fine). I was using 2x normal AA batteries (as instructed) and not using any external power supply. All was ok. I turned the switch to the off position and left the radio alone.

20 minutes later, the radio still switched 'off' and still with no external DC supply, the radio was very hot. The plastic inside the device which displays the frequency had started to warp due to the heat. The plastic coatings of the batteries had begun to peel away and these AAs were so hot you could only hold them for a few seconds in your hands. I never knew a portable, low-voltage battery-powered device could overheat like this - very glad I noticed when I did.

I'm no expert on electronics: but something must be shorting inside to draw this much current and generate so much heat. More worryingly: the overheating *only* occurred after leaving the switch in the off position for a period - when you'd assume all battery power to the device would be cut and the device would be safe. Again, at no point did I connect an external power supply. This all happened with 2 normal, new AA batteries.

I am in the process of returning the radio and getting in contact with the manufacturer. I have ordered a Tecsun PL-380 from Amazon after this disappointment in order to get started with SWLing. While it is more expensive, it is digital, has a load more features and has been praised by many shortwave communities as being an excellent entry-level shortwave radio.

Hopefully this is an isolated incident. The fact this occurred suggests a worryingly poor build quality (as other reviewers have noted). I would give this advice - do NOT buy this radio.
review image review image
on 3 August 2012
Cannot recommend this Radio enough . The sound is just superb , great quality with tone control too , very loud if required . The reception is superb and with FM / MW and ten other bands to listen too , this radio simply cannot be beaten . Delivery was prompt , with no problems . I only wish the 6v mains lead had been included , but I had one anyway so I wasn't too bothered . It runs on 4 AA batteries very well too . Would very much suit gardeners , the workplace , the bathroom and world travellers . This is the BEST radio on Amazon , and very cost effective.