VINE VOICEon 28 January 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
(Tested out on a willing participant aged 12 years old)

Anyone who knows anything about cars has heard of Haynes and their manuals for repairing cars so we expected something of high quality and simple to understand. Overall it delivered. Inside the box was a mini Haynes manual style explanation of how a car engine works. Anyone who has ever tried to explain how a car engine works knows that this is not an easy task. The manual managed to hit just the right balance between getting all the principles across and making it too complicated. It also has a short dictionary of engine terms which was very helpful. The kit comes in sealed plastic bags with the clear instruction to only detach one part at a time when you need it. Good advice as parts are not individually numbered. We did have a problem because one of the springs was missing but a replacement was sent in the post in few days. The instructions were very easy to follow and in spite of having to insert 67 screws it was completed in two evenings and gave the Wii some time off. The only challenging bit was the fitting the camshaft and the instructions need to be a bit clearer about how to do this.

As it is a working engine the instructions spelled out very clearly "do not try to put petrol or engine oil in the model" . As if... To make sure that the pistons actually worked without destroying themselves you have to use vegetable oil. When the model is complete you can see all the moving parts and it even has lights on the spark plugs that you have to set up in the right firing sequence to get the engine to run. When you have completed the kit just connect it to the supplied electric motor, press the starter and watch the engine run. Fascinating. I've never seen anything like this kit before and would highly recommend it for any youngster interested in cars and how things work. It's not the cheapest product but I'd say it was definitely worth the money. The box says from 10 upwards and I would not recommend it for anyone under 10.
22 comments|284 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 20 March 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Although this product is aimed at children and teaching them how engines work it was still fun for an early 20s guy and his dad to play with on a sunday afternoon.
There are some fiddly parts, especially the timing belt which took a little while to get right, but once it is done it is quite impressive to see it going like a real engine. I certainly learnt a lot about how engines work from this.
I would definitely recommend this to someone else, either as a gift or as something to play with themselves! I still love turning it on and watching it run and is a great product.
on 13 February 2009
I bought this "build your own" for my 12 year old son. He thoroughly enjoyed constructing it. It appears to require a some skill but the instructions are good. He thought it was brilliant especially as it does actually work when it is finished. Would recommend it for any older child who enjoys building and constructing.
on 10 December 2008
Bought this engine for my 8 year old daughter who wanted to know how car engines worked.

Suffered the same confusion as the first reviewer, the instructions are not that clear regarding the timing 'cog' but it does go on and works well once you work it out!

I thought it was a great project and my daughter now knows haw a car engine works.

Now trying to find the Jet engine .....
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Haynes specializes in the world famous books for engines. Specific engines that is from all models of car. Here we see Haynes branching out and developing an engine of their own, albeit this time on a much simpler and smaller scale.
The Haynes combustion engine was extremely fun to put together. At first I thought about using it in my living as an ornament but then decided against because of its size and because it's not the prettiest thing to look at.
That aside that educational value regarding car engines is valuable to those who are perhaps thinking about being a car mechanic or those who wish to learn a little more about what drives the motor car they use every day. I doubt however it will appeal to many other people, save those that enjoy modeling and are looking to try their hand at something completely different.

The engine does work after providing some vegetable oil for some light lubrication and like I say was very enjoyable to put together as it wasn't too challenging. All in all a good way to learn more about car engines.
0Comment|88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 14 February 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got this for my partner who has an unnatural love of engines & associated greasy things, and must admit that when it arrived I was suprised at the size of the thing!

It seems the quality must be a bit hit & miss because we certainly had no difficulty putting it together - took an afternoon & although a bit fiddly at times, certainly no more than any other model & definitely not as fiddly as working on a real engine! The most exciting bit is seeing all your effort coming to life before you. Now I'm left wondering where to put it...
on 30 March 2010
This is an excellent model. It is obvious how it goes together, the instructions are simple to follow, the parts were crisp and we had none of the "timing belt" problems some people have mentioned. Quite the reverse, in fact it worked perfectly first time. "We" are my son - not yet 5 and me. He got such a buzz out of us completing each stage it has made me start looking for a similar project. No, at his age he cannot fully understand how a combustion engine works and he has the attention span of a gnat at times, but who cares? He does understand the mechanisms of cams, belts, cranks etc and is trying to use some of these ideas on his own with his lego, so what he did learn stuck. Most of all though we had fun together building it -what more can a parent ask of a kit like this?

The biggest drawback? It's loud. He often wakes his little sister by firing it up after bed time!
on 4 January 2013
This is the best educational/scientific (keep em quiet) kit I have ever bought this boy. (14 in March 2013). The packaging is robust - the instructions simple enough for him to manage alone. He spent 10 hours (over two days) and the joy on his and my face when completed and working, propellor flying, spelt achievement. Roll on more of this type.

Haynes Combustion Engine
review image
on 28 December 2010
I am an 11 year old boy and I got this for Christmas and set to work on it the next morning. By 11 o'clock I had made the pistons and fitted the lower cylinder block. It didn't take long from then to fit the top on but as soon as I had done that I realised that I had fitted the lower cylinder block and the crankshaft the wrong way round so I had to re do it from then. The next day all I needed to do was wire up the electrics and I was done. I found the instructions really clear and the pictures really helpful. It now looks amazing! and I don't think anyone could ever get bored of pushing the button and seeing it spin round.
I think this is a really good present and I would recommend it to anyone above the age of 10.
on 8 October 2012
I bought 10 of these models for completion on my Scout Mechanics course. I'm glad that I bought an extra box as a few of the boxes did not have enough screws, or the heads were sheared due to some of the plastic holes not cut out properly. But on saying this, these were completed with very little assistance from adults by the groups of 4 scouts. Would definately buy these again, will just keep my spares box ready for the next time. Took about 3 hours to complete.