on 1 June 2010
One day I was training and pretty dammed fit if I say so myself, the next my knee had collapsed, was excruciatingly painful and I was staring at the possibilty of nit being able to run again, WA! Having been a personal trainer I knew my ankle from my elbow, but I contacted a physio. At £90 an hour he then went on to tell me what I already knew (pretty much nothing without an MRI) and suggested I do some very basic exercises. For a furher £90 he said he would check my progress. Wow thanks I said and never went back. I then decided to do soem research and found this gem of a book. It took me less than half an hour to learn all I needed to know to get my knee back in working order without surgery. The author explains this in a simple and straight forward avoiding unnecesary jargon and verbage. Remember C. R. F. Cardio Resistance and Flexibilty. I will say no more else you won't read the book, which is excellent value for money.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
'I dont b...... believe it!' Why didnt i find this book years ago?????!!!!. It is a small easy to read book which i skim read within an hour and the one simple exercise (non painful - you need a cushion to do it) and stretches immediately...yes immediately gave me some much needed respite from pain i have had in both knees for years. The author hit the nail on the head straight away by saying most people dont have the time to visit a therapist or just stop doing those things which tend to niggle an old injury. I have just started on a fitness regime and man do my knees give me some jip. But again the simple exercise and stretches helped relieve the pain within the hour.

What the hell, for a few pounds what can you lose, just buy it and try it. Hope it helps you as much as it helped me. Good luck
on 7 June 2009
I purchased a copy of this book on the strength of the customer reviews here, and I have to say that after a couple of months I am in agreement with the general sentiment here.

I have had pain in my right knee for several years, a problem that seemed to manifest itself when I began to run several times a week. It would come and go, but recently it has become more persistent. I'm 33 and put this down to the aging process, but was ready to give this book a try to see if it would make a difference.

I think the biggest revelation for me is the concept of "proprioception", something that I'd never heard about before. It's basically about how your brain communicates, via your nervous system, with the various parts of your body - including your knee - and tells them how to function correctly.

I combined the proprioception exercises with the quad strengthening regime. I tried to approach the book with an open mind, but I had to deal with my own ego when it came to muscle strengthening. I have been weight training for years, and my legs are probably my strongest body part. I can squat pretty heavy weights for my size, so I was quite skeptical when the book attributed weakness in the quad muscles as a contributing factor to knee pain.

Anyway, I cast my prejudices (and arrogance) aside and decided to go ahead with the exercises. I was immediately taken with how quickly I noticed the effects. Within days, the pain in my knee had been reduced considerably.

I didn't want to get too excited too quickly - there could have been other reasons for the lack of pain - but sure enough, I'm now writing after a couple of months have gone by and my knee is still holding up. Obviously, physiotherapy of any kind is no substitute for treatment, but I'm certain that following the guidelines laid out in this book has improved the health of my knee.

I feel much fitter and eager to do the rigorous training that I used to do, and no longer have to worry about my knee playing up. I may or may not need surgery on my knee in the future, but for the time being I am very happy with the results brought on by this book.
on 8 November 2009
Bought this for my mother-in-law who has problems with the knees. She is seeing progress and improvements after only a few weeks! It is written well and straight to the point, a good balance of information and advice as well as plain instructions. Motivating to see the gains so fast - and to understand why they happen! I think most titles in this series are of similar quality. Recommended.
on 11 October 2011
This book gave me some useful suggestions for strengthening my knee after a bout of tendonitis. However all the useful information is squeezed into 4 pages and the rest of the book just appears to be filler. Although some of it can be interesting if you are fascinated with how the human body works.
on 31 March 2006
Great little book and more than worth the small price.
The book emphasises that this is good for by far, most knee problems (including arthritis - which I dont have as far as I know). My left knee, the bane of my hiking life, is much stronger and healthier feeling than it has for a long while and I still only am 4 weeks through the 8 week program.
The exercises are simple to do, take little time and need no specialist equipment (unless you call a pillow, specialist?).
I would suggest that you do the pillow-based exercise, before
you go to sleep, in bed, as Ive found it leaves my knee slightly sore for a few hours afterwards (by being in bed you omit this issue)! Plus the sleeping rests your leg thoroughly - which in itself is part of the fixing process.
I can now concentrate on walking several miles every weekend, without worrying about hobbling back.
Also a quick thanks to Amazon, as I wouldnt have purchased this book if I hadnt done a search on 'knees' and read the reviews. I would, therefore, still be suffering!
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 21 March 2011
I bought this because of the rave reviews, but found it to be wholly inadequate. I have a sports related knee injury and was looking for a program of exercises to strengthen the knee. Like many books of this kind, the authors spends much of the time extolling the virtues of randomised controlled tests. The entire chapter about the 4 functions of the knee takes you through the experience of being a human being, describing the miraculous abilities of the knee, just in case you've never come across one before.
There is a list of 'treatments' for the knee, and it is presented as epiphany, that each of these aims to restore or improve one or more of the 4 functions to the knee.

There are 4 endurance 'exercises' recommended. 2 of them consist of walking, and the most challenging (lest you dare) is cycling. The author recommends you take a rest day between instances of these exercises.
This book is extremely basic, and is certainly not useful to already active people wishing to strengthen their already functioning knees.
on 28 October 2008
I needed an arthroscopy on my right knee (to repair a torn MCL). My knee had been hurting for many years but I finally got round to surgery.

When you get an injury to a knee, your body tends to overcompensate on the other leg which in turn caused me pain in the left knee. I have used the knowledge from this book to successfully decrease the recovery period from the operation and to remove the pain from my good knee.

It is quite short and easy to read and the information is backed up using studies and other facts.

A word of warning though - I did originally buy the book to deal with my torn MCL (before the tear was diagnosed). The advice in this book would NOT have cured the knee (but may have reduced the pain). So it is imperative that the diagnosis of the pain is done by a professional if you are getting persistent pain having tried the advice in the book.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This book is really good a bit heavy on the anatomy side but it is necessary to understand how and why they work. After 2 weeks twice aday I am visibly quick going upstairs. I had to stop exercising for a while and the weakness came back. So I've started again.
on 28 June 2005
I have suffered from a recurring knee problem for some time and I have conducted a fair bit of research into the subject. Having received this book this morning it took all of about an hour to read at a fairly a leisurely pace. Don't be fooled by its size though! This book is packed with quality information and doesn't go into long winded or boring passages of medical jargon. The text is concise and tells you just what you need to know.
If you're like me you've probably found little bits of information here and there about your injury, what this book does is put it all together into a complete programme for recovery. All in all and easy and informative read.
And well done Amazon. I ordered the book Saturday and it turned up Monday. Now that's what I call good service