The Fundamentals of Biomedical Science series is written to reflect the challenges of practicing biomedical science today. It draws together essential basic science with insights into laboratory practice to show how an understanding of the biology of disease is coupled to the analytical approaches that lead to diagnosis.
Assuming only a minimum of prior knowledge, the series reviews the full range of disciplines to which a Biomedical Scientist may be exposed - from microbiology to cytopathology to transfusion science. Alongside volumes exploring specific biomedical themes and related laboratory diagnosis, an overarching Biomedical Science Practice volume gives a grounding in the professional and experimental skills with which any Biomedical Scientist must be equipped.
· Understands the complex roles of Biomedical Scientists in the modern practice of medicine
· Understands the development needs of employers and the Profession
· Addresses the need for understanding of a range of fundamental sciences in the context of Biomedicine
· Places the theoretical aspects of Biomedical Science in their practical context
The science of transfusion and transplantation demands a multifaceted understanding of immunology, haematology, and genetics from the biomedical scientist. Transfusion and Transplantation Science coherently synthesises the essential concepts of these subjects and presents them within the practical framework of the hospital banking and transplantation centre, thereby furnishing the reader with the knowledge and skills required to specialize in this discipline.
Beginning with an overview of potential immune responses to transfusion and transplantation, the text goes on to explain the aetiology behind these responses with a view to the prediction, diagnosis, and mitigation of adverse effects on the patient. It then outlines issues of quality, but also regulatory and legal concerns, that need to be considered when collecting, preparing, and storing products for transfusion or transplantation.
Online Resource Centre
The Online Resource Centre to accompany Transfusion and Transplantation Science features:
For registered adopters of the book:
· Figures from the book, available to download
· An interactive Digital Microscope, encouraging the exploration of tissue samples
· Self-assessment modules to help you to check and reinforce understanding of the basic science introduced in each volume
· Video podcasts including interviews with practicing biomedical scientists, and 'in the lab' footage showing biomedical science in practice