Based on Hasbro's legendary Transformers property and one of the most anticipated films of 2009 from Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks Pictures, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
thrusts players into a battle for supremacy across the globe as either Autobots or Decepticons to drive, fly, fight and blast their way through intense, pressure-packed levels.
Delivering extensive control, gamers can select from the largest, most diverse range of playable Transformers ever – each with distinct personalities, abilities and weaponry – and jump straight into action as they instantly switch between robot, vehicle and weapon modes to fight for the preservation or annihilation of all mankind. In addition, for the first time in the Transformers universe, players can also fight the epic war between Autobots and Decepticons online in explosive multiplayer combat.
Set a few years after the defeat of Megatron in the first game/movie, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen reveals that the threat from the Decepticons is in fact, far from ended. Since the time of the epic and apparently not so final battle between the two Transformer leaders, Decepticons have started popping up again all over Earth in alarming numbers. And now, a mysterious object from space seems destined to shift the balance of power and give the upper hand to the Decepticons.
Unlike Activision's Transformers: The Game, released along side the original movie back in 2007, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen relies less on open-world gameplay and more on structured, but varied mission play. The variety in these missions comes from the fact that players can align themselves with either the Autobots or Decepticons, and that the available missions both parallel the events of the movie, as well as events unique to the game. During these missions players will be able to play as a variety of different Transformers from either side of the conflict, and with success in mission play will be able to unlock additional Transformers and earn points used to upgrade your selected faction. Playable characters include on the Autobot side: Optimus Prime, Iron Hide, Breakaway, Bumblebee, and Ratchet; and from the Decepticon side: Starscream, Sideways (a new character), Grindor, Long Haul, and Megatron. Additional Transformer types will be available in multiplayer modes. The game features a simple control toggle that not only allows for quick switching between mech, vehicle and weapon forms, but also allows for a more easy learning curve of the acrobatic moves from the movie.
- The Choice is Yours – Players can step into the shoes of their favourite Autobots and Decepticons such as Optimus Prime, Starscream, Bumblebee and Ironhide, along with new characters making their first appearance in a game. With two distinct campaigns that allow gamers to save or destroy the human race, gamers will unlock missions and be able to play them in any order they desire and with different characters for a whole new experience.
- Outmanoeuvre Your Opponents – Instantaneously convert from a colossal robot to a dynamic land or air vehicle such as a diesel truck, sports car, military chopper or fighter jet. New, ultra-fluid transformations can be performed in-motion anytime and anywhere, allowing players to strategically propel through and decimate hordes of enemies with incredible agility.
- Take the Battle Online with Friends – For the first time ever in the Transformers universe, gamers can engage in full multiplayer action, taking the epic war between the Autobots and Decepticons online to play with friends in a multitude of competitive game modes as they utilize their characters' unique weapons and abilities to lead their teams to victory.
- Demolish Your Enemies – Each Transformer can unleash a unique array of assaults on its enemies ranging from powerful missile attacks and rapid-fire chain guns to explosive energy blasts and visceral melee strikes, allowing players to pick from a variety of weapons and moves in their character's arsenal that deliver diverse gameplay in every brutal encounter.
- Intense, Heroic Missions – Every second is precious as players drive, fly, fight and blast their way through gripping, pulse-pounding levels straight from the film and beyond to determine the ultimate fate of the world.
One of the major improvements of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
over any previous Transformers releases is its extensive multiplayer options, both locally and online, co-op and versus. These modes include standard head-to-head/team options such as Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch, but also unique modes like 'One Shall Stand' where players must take out the opposing leader, 'Control Points' where teams struggle to control specific map points at specific times, and 'Battle for the Shards' which is a 'capture the flag' variant tasking teams to collect and hold all the pieces of the destroyed Allspark from the 2007 film.