Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 30 October 2014
I love this book - I have read it a long time ago and decided to read it again. It was really good, as I remembered and brought tears to my eyes especially during the hardship of the war when the women were being pushed from pillar to post. Excellent reading.
on 10 March 2014
An old favourite of mine. I don't wholly go along with Shute's view that Australia is the second Garden of Eden. However this book is an entertaining read. You are sorry when you reach the end and have to search Kindle Store to find a worthy successor.
on 30 September 2015
I first read this when I was about 13 and although it is very much of its period, with detail and manners being postwar, it is still a wonderful story, beautifully told by a master craftsman. It still works for me!
on 15 July 2013
A love storey beautifully told. Set during and after WW 2, but it really start in Thirties Scotland with an old man's will with its stipulations and ends in Australia. Good characters, some too good to be true but that does not spoil the storey.
on 15 April 2014
A classic - what more can I say! I now want to visit Malaysia to see where they were and try and understand how it must have felt. She was a very strong character - I feel like I knew her by the end of the book.
on 29 May 2013
I downloaded this book after seeing the film in April 2013 on channel 4 i have read this several times in the past and still enjoyed the story line. Being based on true facts and the love story between the main characters still powerful.
HALL OF FAMEon 18 January 2001
I have just re-read this book for the umpteenth time and I still love it as much as I did after reading it the first time. One of the really powerful features of this book is the fact that although the book is fiction, the foundation of the story is based on the experience of countless women and children who found themselves captured by the Japanese during World War 2.
I'd say that this book has everything. It's a book about remarkable survival and remarkable people. It's an adventure book. It's a love story. The characters are very sympathetic and you can't help liking them and hoping that they find happiness. It's one of the few books I've read that I've actually wanted a sequel to.
For a man of his generation I also think that Mr Shute wrote about Jean Paget with an insight that's second to none. I'm well impressed.
On a whole, it's a very well written page-turner that I thoroughly enjoy every time I pick it up.
on 6 March 2014
I had never read this classic because the title put me off, but when my 85 year mum explained it to me I downloaded it and have really enjoyed the true story of how a young woman transformed a run down old town in Australia into a thriving town like Alice Springs. The story starts with an amazing trek around Malaya by a group of English women held prisoner by the Japanese and is intertwined with a love story that crosses 3 continents. Brilliantly written with many twists and turns it is definitely one to read- I loved it .
on 19 January 2006
I have read and reread this book over many years. Once you become a fan of Nevil Shute you will want to read all his books. Take it on holiday and give it your all. Let yourself be submersed in the period; a different age to now with a different style of hero. This story is of ordinary people, with an extrarordinary tale to tell. A meeting of 2 people, both victims of the Japanese, who fall in love under the harshest of conditions and then do it all over again, 6 years later when the war is over. Read it more than once to get the full benefit.And then go onto read more from the famous author, who had so many qualities and gifts. How could he be an engineer, serve in secret operations in the war, be a sailor and a pilot and go on long distance air ship travel, as well as write all these novels.
on 7 March 2012
Again a book I have not read for some 40 years and again one I find that has lost nothing of its charm and appeal over the years. A gripping tale of the relationship between three people whistfully recounted by one of them, concerning the brief wartime acquainatnce and subsequent post war romance between the other two. Shute can be a bit 'clunky' in style from time to time but I found this not to be the case in this instance. For me the story flows as it unfolds and its main characters develop into truly believable people. ( I may be a bit influenced by the excellent film that was made of this book). Never-the-less I thoroughly recommend this book to anyone searching for a very well told story of human relationships with a happy ending.