VINE VOICEon 17 August 2014
Colour Name: RedVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
After having my 7 year old Dell Laptop which was on its last legs, it was the right time to get a new Laptop!

The first thing that hits you with the Toshiba Satellite Laptop is the size, it isn't small. I love the size of the screen, 15.6 inches and much larger than my old laptop. The screen is very clear too so easier on the eyes when working for hours.

This laptop is one that you wouldn't be taking out and about with you all the time as it is very bulky and heavy. What the Toshiba Satellite laptop is perfect for is being an all round family laptop which replaces a bulky desktop PC. With a 1.8 Ghz processor, 6gb RAM and huge 1TB hard drive the laptop has everything you need for a family to use.

With people now using bigger and bigger files a 1TB hard drive is perfect. I have a camcorder which records HD files which are huge. One of the first things I did was transfer over all my video from the camcorder as had been holding them on the camera for so long as had no other way to store such large files. This was a risk as if anything had happened to the camera I would have lost all my important family video. The laptop is now home to these files and has barely made a dint in the disk space!

The playback of video is also fantastic on the laptop, really good quality and clear screen so you can happily watch your home videos or download and watch a film. The laptop doesn't come with a DVD Drive or CD ROM drive so any software you need to install must be downloaded from the cloud or videos streamed or downloaded too. It's not a huge loss as this is the way to go as aren't really required these days.

The sound is also very good for a budget laptop, not Dolby Surround Sound but clear and does the job required!

The laptop comes with McAfee installed which gives you 1 month of free protection before you are asked to purchase. I am not a huge fan of McAfee so will be looking at another way to protect my laptop when this expires.

I am still coming to terms with using Windows 8! I use an Apple Macbook for work and my old laptop had Windows Vista so it is a big change for me to try and get used to Windows again. It has gone through a fair few big changes but I am getting there. Windows 8 is a well designed Operating System and is easy to pick up the new features once you have used them a few times. You can still have your main desktop but there is a lot of other features beyond the desktop such as Apps and many other customisable things.

You also get a good battery life from the laptop so you won't need to be hooked up to the mains all the time!You get 3 USB ports, a monitor out port and an HDMI out port should you want to view your video files on a TV. I think it could have done with some sort of memory card slot for cameras.

Overall I think this is the ideal family laptop for anyone who wants a fast laptop for browsing the internet, sending e-mails, basic document writing and where you can store all your movies, photos and music files. Very simple to set up out of the box with little technical knowledge required.
VINE VOICEon 13 August 2014
Colour Name: RedVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This arrived simply packaged but well protected. On opening the box, the laptop is very light and thin and quite funky looking with a striking burgundy hue. Setup was quite frustrating to be honest, a number of unnecessary apps were installed without any input from myself, and being forced to create an account with MIcrosoft was a pain I could do without. Also, the time taken to install was a couple of frustrating hours and I was convinced that the difference between IOS and Windows was so far apart that there is no comparison.
However, once everything is loaded up and you start your laptop for the first time you realise that the perceived chasm between Apple and Windows is actually nothing of the sort - it takes 13 seconds to startup and shutdown and 2 seconds from sleep to startup/login which is very impressive. Whilst my laptop is not overloaded with additional programs (and I have removed a lot of the more pointless 'apps'), I have found performance to be great - short wait times for programs to load, excellent transfer speeds via usb3, and good sound from the built in speakers when playing music/media. There are three usb ports (two usb3 and one usb2), an sd card slot, a hdmi out and an ethernet port.
Windows 8 is, in my opinion, quite possibly the most none user-friendly OS I have ever used with so many pointless and irritating 'apps' and the familiarity of Windows totally lost in the chaos, I have found myself getting very cross trying to undertake the most simple of tasks. I work in IT so have a good grasp of PCs in general, and I have never been so confused as I am when using this OS. I hope that whatever updates that are put in place make Windows 8 a better program (I am sure it cannot be made worse) and I am sure that with more use I will get the hang of it. I cannot drop stars for Windows 8 though, as my boy, who is 6, got the hang of it fairly quickly and was off playing games within a few minutes of using this laptop for the first time.
This laptop does not come with a cd/dvd drive (presumably to save costs and to shed some weight/bulk) so any programs will have to be installed online or via a usb.
In summary: a fast laptop, light, slim and well designed, with good performance, good startup/shutdown speeds and more than adequate for basic home use.
on 1 September 2014
Really good but not keen on Windows eight
on 16 August 2014
It looks pretty in the pictures but this is a cheap model and you get what you pay for. The build is flimsy and I don't expect it to last. The keyboard is awkward with clunky keys, the touchpad is unreliable and keeps jumping so I'm going to have to buy a mouse. There is no DVD drive, even though the drawer seems to be there. At least it comes with Windows 8.1 which is an improvement on the original Windows 8. I'll be using this as an occasional travel item which is just as well, as there is no way you should consider buying this as a hard-working main computer for home or business.
on 23 July 2014
Computer is fine but Windows 8 is a nightmare
on 19 July 2014
bought 2 of these, good spec for price, be aware if you try to install any software, like i did, you will find there is NO DVD DRIVE ?