- Paperback: 392 pages
- Publisher: American Society of Civil Engineers (31 July 2002)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0784405735
- ISBN-13: 978-0784405734
- Product Dimensions: 2.5 x 17.8 x 24.8 cm
Amazon Bestsellers Rank:
4,606,439 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- #748 in Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > The Environment > Waste Disposal
- #1715 in Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Geography > Cartography, Geodesy & Geographic Information Systems
- #5276 in Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Environmental
GIS Tools for Water, Wastewater and Stormwater Systems Paperback – 31 Jul 2002
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
More About the Author
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Chapter 2. GIS Development Software
Chapter 3. GIS Applications Software
Chapter 4. GIS Data
Chapter 5. Internet GIS
Chapter 6. GIS Database Design
Chapter 7. Modeling Integration
Chapter 8. Water System Applications
Chapter 9. Wastewater System Applications
Chapter 10. Stormwater System Applications
Chapter 11. Case Studies
Chapter 12. GIS Resources
Appendix A. Acronyms
Appendix B. Glossary
Appendix C. Conversion Factors
Appendix D. Notations
This book provides a wealth of information and resources. In addition to the examples and practical case studies, the book also provides links to web sites that offer articles, tutorials and more samples, as well as organizations that have an interest in all aspects of the GIS and water resources and water distribution networks. The book also includes an introduction to Internet GIS, GeoSpatial database tools for water resources, integration of hydrologic and hydraulic models with GIS, and several other resources. For anyone who wants a solid introduction to these topics, these chapters are a must read.
This book provides exhaustive coverage of everything you need to know in order to master the GIS applications for water related fields. The book is designed for readers of all levels from experienced GIS users to those with little or no GIS experience. It does so by providing beginners with basic underlying GIS topics, while at the same time offering experienced GIS developers detailed and exhaustive coverage of the GIS tools for water, wastewater and stormwater systems.
By simply flipping through the pages of this book, it becomes evident that an enormous amount of time and effort went into it. It offers the same high quality and detailed coverage that you would find in most college level academic books. In fact, this book is written using the recommendations of the Accreditation of the American Board of Engineering and Technology (ABET) and ASCE's Excellence in Civil Engineering program.
The book is so diverse to cover many topics and yet all written comprehensively for each topics. You get real-world experience with the tools and case studies presented in this book, such that you might use in a job somewhere.
I recommend this book to any water professional or civil engineer that deals with everyday GIS. An excellent job of expository writing and worth every nickel you pay for it.
Data and software are the two most important tools for developing GIS applications. GIS Tools for Water, Wastewater, and Stormwater Systems presents a step-by-step approach covering GIS application case studies, examples, and costs associated with hardware, software, data conversion, and implementation. It addresses a broad range of GIS issues, from basic definitions to specific applications, teaching how to utilize GIS tools and implement them in a practical and cost-effective manner in the fields of water, wastewater, and stormwater management. Written in textbook format with stylistic focus on the inductive presentation of examples before principles, this book provides state-of-the-art information about the tools required to develop GIS applications for water, wastewater, and stormwater systems. This book is geared for any professional involved in the management and operation of water, wastewater, and stormwater systems, as well as civil and environmental project engineers and project managers. With a substantial amount of pictures, diagrams, graphs, and illustrations, this book is also suitable for use in the classroom. Each chapter begins with learning objectives, and ends with a chapter summary and practice problems that can be used as assignments for the student.
This book is a "must read" for anyone involved in implementing a GIS for a water or wastewater utility. Being the first published reference book on this topic, it would be a valuable addition to your reference library. I like the "cookbook" style of the book which is quite appropriate for utility professionals. The book is filled with numerous examples of GIS applications in the water industry that are both current and practical. The extensive listings of GIS data, software, and the Internet resources will help you to build the right kind of GIS for your system.
John Lucey, P.E.
Executive Vice President & General Manager, USFilter Engineering & Construction
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Education > Higher Education
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Geography > Cartography, Geodesy & Geographic Information Systems
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Civil Engineering > Environmental
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Environmental
- Books > Science & Nature > Environment & Ecology > Waste Disposal
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Earth Sciences
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Engineering > Civil Engineering
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Engineering > Environmental Engineering
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Environment
- Shops > Amazon Green