The first lady of gaming returns in Tomb Raider - Underworld
with her deepest and darkest adventure yet. Ostensibly searching for the mythical hammer of the Norse god Thor, the real draw of the game is exploring the underworlds of multiple different cultures.
| A pair of panthers make an uncomfortable safety net |
| When you're a tomb raider, exploring ancient tombs is all in a day’s work |
| Lara’s pistols are no match for the kraken |
| The Mediterranean level includes a huge area for swimming |
The basics of the game are classic Tomb Raider, as you explore the trap-filled interiors of ancient ruins using Lara’s famed acrobatic skills (and dual action pistols). From an underwater temple guarded by a giant octopus-like kraken to ancient Mayan structures in the South American jungle, she makes Indiana Jones look even older.
All of the levels are much larger than in previous games and far more interactive. You'll leave footprints in the sand and find all the scenery fully destructable. Every puzzle has multiple solutions, and the hand-to-hand combat system has been completely revamped. A new 3D map system also helps to ensure you never get lost so that you can concentrate on saving the world. Key Features
About the Developer: Crystal Dynamics
- Dream vacation: Travel the world in search of ancient artefacts, from the steaming-hot jungles of Mexico to the frozen Arctic, from the coast of Thailand to the depths of the Mediterranean Sea.
- Think like Lara: An interactive, non-linear game world means anything that it looks like you should be able to pick up and use (or destroy) you can.
- Bettering Bond: An all new grappling hook, sonar map, scuba gear, a range of new weapons, and Lara’s trusty motorbike make her the best equipped adventurer in gaming.
- Help on demand: Receive as much or as little help as you want, from gentle nudges in the right direction to a full explanation of what you need to do next.
- Behind the scenes: All of Lara’s animations in the game have been fully motion captured from Olympic gymnast Heidi Moneymaker. Her voice is that of Spooks actress Keeley Hawes.
Based in the San Francisco bay area, the Crystal Dynamics team has been making games since 1992, including popular titles such as Pandemonium
, and Legacy of Kain/Soul Reaver
. Crystal Dynamics began revammping the Tomb Raider
series with Tomb Raider: Legend
Great Games and Accessories for the PC from Gamesbuyer.