Tom Waits Under Review 1971 - 1982 is a 90-minute film, covering Waits career and hugely influential music from this period. The program charts his rise from bar-room crooner to the extraordinary performer, songwriter and vocalist he had become by the early part of the 1980s. Showing also how he developed as a scintillating raconteur, how he was more than willing to draw on a vast range of unorthodox influences, and how his records progressed in sophistication exponentially during the course of a decade, this film is the most detailed, enlightening and downright entertaining film ever to have emerged on this legendary artist.
Tom Waits 1983-2006 back blurb.
Tom Waits Under Review 1983 - 2006 is an 80 minute documentary film which looks at this extraordinary musician and performer's music during that period. After Waits' marriage to Katherine Brennan in 1980, his music became more experimental, challenging and left-field, but without any compromise of his craft - the songs were better than ever. Through album after album during the 1980s, the 1990s and the 2000s, Waits stunned his audience time and again.
This program looks again at these records, and the man who made them, and in doing so provides the most enlightening, revealing and downright entertaining Tom Waits documentary yet to emerge.
• Tom Waits performances re-assessed by a panel of esteemed experts
• Rare interviews, seldom seen footage and unusual photographs from the period
• Review, comment and criticism from; Waits producer Bones Howe; Tom Waits' official biographer, Patrick Humphries; ex-editor of Rolling Stone magazine, Anthony De Curtis; Village Voice music editor, Robert Christgau; highly respected British music journalist and author, Barney Hoskins [Mojo, NME]; Uncut magazine's Nigel Williamson; Time-Out magazine music editor Andrew Mueller, and musician and author Chris Roberts.
• Footage of and comment on, Waits' most notable musical influences during the period
• Live and studio recordings of Waits classics such as; Downtown Train, In The Neighbourhood, Straight To The Top, Innocent When You Dream, Earth Dies Screaming, Clap Hands, Alice, Hoist That Rag and many others
• The Interactive Tom Waits Challenge
• Meet the Panel - Full Contributor Biographies
• Beyond DVD - More Tom Waits