on 5 May 2010
Most of everything I've ever learned about knitting socks from the toe up has come from Ms. Johnson's patterns and website instructions and this book was on pre-order as soon as I heard about it. I've finished the 'Basket Case' socks which use a Japanese-type travelling stitch and found that the toe, sole and heel are knitted in a smaller needle than the instep and cuff which makes for a great fit. Simple or what? None of the patterns are disappointing, most of them are ones that I'm going to knit and all in all, this book is great value, very interesting, stunning patterns and great illustrations.

Most of the patterns are knitted using the 2 circular needle method but a set of double-pointed needles can be easily substituted for us dyed-in-the-wool dpn lovers.

Summary: love it.
on 9 March 2012
This is a really good book. Very detailed explanation and lots of different patterns. It will keep me knitting socks for many months to come. Definitely recommend it
on 23 November 2012
I really like this book and have read it again and again. It has a good collection of patterns and sections of different techniques to try. I love working socks from the toe up and this book covers all the essential skills required to make all the socks in this book and create your own socks too! I would say ensure you use a long, smooth, circular needle for socks, to ensure your stitches will slide easily from your needles onto the cord. I personally would use metal or plastic, as under the tight tension you can get from cabling etc, bamboo and wooden needles this thin can break. Enjoy :-)
on 12 January 2011
I am not a proficient 'sock knitter' but this book has the advantage of being able to buy say two balls of wool and being able to extend the leg to the longest possible or until you run out of yarn. I have so many small amounts of wool left from knitting socks top down, not knowing how much wool is required to complete the 2nd sock.

The one downside of the book is that there is no pattern for D/K or above.
on 3 October 2012
Since buying this, I don't look at any other sock book. I'm only giving it a four star rating though, as beginners might find the designs a little too challenging. Having said that, the instructions are comprehensive, the illustrations are clear and easy-to-follow, while the photographs really make you want to knit the socks featured. Terms and terminology are for the US market, and the author prefers to work with two circular needles. Wendy.D. Johnson does give instructions for how to cast on with four double pointed needles however, if that is your preferred method of working. If you haven't tried knitting socks from the toe up before, and you fancy a change, this is the book for you.
on 26 May 2010
What a really great book. I think this is the one book that I will probably use all of the patterns.

If you only buy one sock knitting book - make it this one.
on 24 April 2013
Claer instructions and they are easy to follow. Various alternatives for cast on, toes and heels. Great variety of different patterns
on 12 June 2010
Book was delevered very promptly. This is one of the book I wanted for a while. I have already started to knit a pattern from this book. Photography is great. Only criticism I would like to make that the book is deffinetly not for begginers. Experienced knitter like myself will enjoy it. Hill gusseet needs a bit more explanation. Overall it is a good book and interesting.
on 8 June 2015
Once I have managed to cast-on everything will be fine, instructions a bit confusing, and they are at the back of the book as if you know what to do. Got this book for the star rating not her first one toe up as I thought the instructions would be at the beginning and do step by step guide. But it seems ok.
on 24 February 2014
This book answered all my questions about toe-up socks. I was always afraid that toe-up socks would be too difficult to work, especially the heel, but I was completely wrong. I just love this book.