- Audio CD (23 Feb. 2009)
- Number of Discs: 1
- Label: Ace
- ASIN: B001PA7OSA
- Other Editions: MP3 Download
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 470,502 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)
Image not available for
|Price:||£13.90 & FREE Delivery in the UK. Details|
* Ace kick off the year with a second multi-artist set drawn from the tapes and acetates that came as part of the purchase of the catalogues that were originally owned and operated by Los Angeles R&B entrepreneur, John Dolphin.
* Owner of the most prominent R&B record shop on the West Coast, Dolphin was inevitably a magnet for some of the best Los Angeles talent of the early 1950s and he, like all of the local R&B producers, always recorded far more than he could actually find time, space and money to release. Thus it is that most of the repertoire on "The Toast Of The Coast" has never been issued before. It may have taken over half a century, but no R&B fan will dispute that it's been worth the wait.
* This heady brew of jumpin' R&B and cool blues offers stellar names like Pee Wee Crayton, Jimmy Witherspoon, Peppermint Harris and Memphis Slim, cult heroes such as Erwin "Big Boy" Groves, moonlighting doo wopper Vernon Anders aka Vernon Greene of the Medallions and one or two mystery artists whose names may be lost in the mists of time, but whose talent remains apparent and abundant. The source material is in remarkable shape considering its age and the conditions it was stored under for many years, and the sublime remastering puts the listener on the studio floor with the musicians.