TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 2 February 2011
Overall, I enjoyed the rich historical perspective the authors provide of Washington and his troops crossing the Delaware River on December 25, 1776 and of their ensuing battle for Trenton the following day. Essentially, the entire book takes place during these two day, with the authors to be highly commended for the depth of insight they provide into the hardships the heroic men who engaged in these events had to endure.

So, from a history perspective, To Try Men's Souls is an informative and mostly satisfying book. However, with that said, I did not want to read a history book when I decided to read it. I wanted to read a good book of historical fiction. That is, I was expecting To Try Men's Souls to be a book that has a rich plot with well-developed characters that would enable me to feel that I am right there with Washington and his troops experiencing what they did. Unfortunately, from the perspective of a good novel, this book mostly let me down. The storylines that Gingrich and Forstchen deliver lack suspense and a strong sense of emotion. Further, the real world figures such as George Washington, Thomas Paine, et al are too superficially developed and come across as characitures. Similarly, none of the fictional characters are developed fully enough for me to identify with them and, thus, to care much about them.

Since, I learned some interesting historical facts from reading To Try Men's Souls, I'm not sorry I read the book; but I would not recommend readers who want a heavier dose of fiction than history rush out to read this book.