Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 May 2014
This book has re-invigorated my interest in The Tales and convinced me of a number of things, including the fact that Beelzebub's Tales is an objective work. The variety of 'techniques' the author describes which can be employed to 'fathom the gist' are invaluable. It is also really well written and therefore a pleasure to read.

This book builds on the first volume. The author has clearly done a lot of research and thought very deeply. He presents a fascinating and clear perspective on the way Gurdjieff wrote The Tales and, through this insight, suggests how we should read The Tales.
Bloor convincingly establishes the fundamental importance of philology and etymology as key to uncovering the deeper meaning in Gurdjieff's masterpiece.

I recommend this book to anyone who is a serious student of The Tales (and even to someone who has started to read it) and if you haven't yet read Volume I, you should read that first.

And if you own a copy of the 1992 Revised version of Beelzebub's Tales to His Grandson, you absolutely must read Chapter 9 of To Fathom the Gist vII. It will convince you that the 1992 version has no validity whatsoever.