Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 August 2001
This is one of those books that when you start one of the short stories, you simply cannot go on until you have finished it. The classic example of this is Endgame which is a thoroughly fascinating story and keeps you interested all the way through. Chalk and Cheese is also highly entertaining.
on 24 April 2001
On offer is another full plate of delectable short stories. Some of them are based on true events. This is yet another excellent example of Archer at his best.
From the very start you have a fine short story which took all of 30 seconds to read. How did he do that?
May we ask Jeffrey to keep rolling them out.
on 24 December 2012
I,ve read most of archer's books and overall I'm a big fan,however having read most of his short story books,I must admit to an overall rating of three rather than 4/5 stars.Some of the stories have that wonderful archer magic,while some are ok at best.
When I reread these books,I will "highlight" the best chapters for future reference,because some of them definately do merit reading again and again and the best and most obvious is the story(1 page!) Death Speaks....it's an old story from way back but absolutely brilliant.....a pub philosopher's dream!!!
on 22 April 2013
This book was, to me, intriguing as nine of the fourteen books were based on true events meaning that the stories had a lot more impact on me as they had actually happened. The only problem was that it only told you which were true at the start which meant constant flicking back to the contents page.
Many of the stories were very humorous, varied enough that you don’t get bored. It’s suitable for both people who want to power through them, but also people who just want to have a read every so often. I have read the book twice now in two weeks, and the stories remain just as fresh upon the second reading.
In my opinion some of the stories were not as interesting as the other; Crime Pays and Other Blighters Efforts. They were however both still very readable.
My favourite stories were Chalk and Cheese, which was a humorously ironic tale of two brothers and A Change of Heart, a story of a racist man who receives a black man’s heart during a transplant operation and changes his views, which was very touching. Also The Grass is Always Greener brings to light how we all have problems and always want what someone else has.
Overall Archer is an excellent short story teller.
on 1 April 2014
All his books are very similar and predictable. Even so they are all good reads. He knows how to write to hold the reader. TYHere is one exception to this comment. His prison dairies are exceptional and stand alone as a valuable contribution.
Surprised by all the good reviews, as I found this very dull and functional writing. None of the stories were overly interesting, clever or engaging. I was expecting a few twists and clever conclusions but was left unmoved by nearly all the stories.
I wouldn't recommend this at all.
on 14 December 2000
These fascinating stories are perfect reading on holidays, public transport et. al. I strongy recommend them.
on 16 August 2009
I am a Jeffery Archer fan, particularly of the short stories, and this new collection is as good as ever, varied, highly readable, with some good twists. Some are acknowledged to be based on true events, though on the whole I prefer the original ones. The publisher's blurb states that the last story, "The grass is always greener" is the best ever. Certainly well written with up to date characters, but this basic idea is not original. Stacy Aumonier got there first with "The octave of jealousy" from the collection "Miss Bracwegirdle and others",published around 1930. For me Archer's best short story is "Old love" from "A quiver full of arrows."

Alan Bold
on 13 February 2009
Loved it - repeated the stories to others. Love the twists and turns. Recommended for light reading. - Excellent for a holiday away book. Thanks Jeffery. x
on 26 August 2013
I chose the rating because I found it an easy read on holiday. Some strories taken from true accounts some fiction. Totally believable and gripping. Not an avid reader but found it difficult to put the book down.