Develop exciting and engaging GUI applications in Python and Tkinter by working on 10 real-world applications
- Develop 10 real GUI applications using procedural and object-oriented styles
- Write network programs, database-driven programs, multi-threaded programs and more with Tkinter
- A practical guide to discover the best practices involved in writing GUI applications
Tkinter is the built-in GUI package that comes with standard python distributions. This means it is easy to get started right away, without any extra installation or configuration. Tkinter's strength lies in its simplicity of use and its intuitive nature which makes it suited for programmers and non-programmers alike. Once you get started, you will be surprised to see how a few lines of code can produce powerful GUI applications.
Tkinter GUI Application Development Hotshot helps you learn the art of GUI programming - building real-world, productive and fun applications like text editor, drum machine, game of chess, media player, drawing application and many more. Each subsequent project builds on the skills acquired in the previous project. Also, learn to write multi-threaded and multi layered applications using Tkinter. Get to know modern best practices involved in writing GUI programs. Tkinter GUI Application Development Hotshot comes with a rich source of sample codes that you can use in your own projects in any discipline of your choice.
Starting with a high level overview of Tkinter that covers the most important concepts involved in writing a GUI application, the book then takes you through a series of real world projects of increasing complexity, developing one project per chapter. After you have developed five full projects, the book provides you with some bare-bone skeleton codes for a few functional but incomplete projects, challenging you to put your skills to test by completing them.
Finally, you are provided with tips for writing reusable, scalable, and quality GUI code for larger projects. The appendices provide a quick reference sheet for Tkinter.
What you will learn from this book
- Structure your programs in the model-view framework
- Persist your application data with object serialization
- Work with external libraries and Tkinter extensions
- Write multi-threaded GUI programs
- Re-factor code at every stage of application development
- Integrate your GUI applications to backend database
- Use networking with your Tkinter program
- Apply Internationalization to your GUI applications
- Develop a GUI program framework for maximum code reuse and rapid application development
Practical, real-world example projects. Start with the topics that grab your attention or work through each project in sequence.
Who this book is written for
If you have just started with GUI programming, this book is ideal for you. This book is also great if you are an experienced software developer, scientist, researcher, engineer, student, or hobbyist.